My last few days in a Z

Ponsonby

I am now on my third Z and have really enjoyed ownership. Unfortunately my 370Z Nismo is not getting much use because the 2 seat and small boot configuration does not fit in with my lifestyle - plus my increasing years and morning dodgy back are not being helped by low slung recaros'.

I really feel like I am breaking up with a much loved girlfriend.

Took a 2016 Audi RS3 out for a test drive yesterday - rather uninteresting to look at but incredible to drive. After hooning around in Zed's I was not expecting to be blown away by the performance of the RS3. The one I took out, and bought, is fitted with the mag ride dampers and the very lairy switchable exhaust which sounds great with the 5 pot engine. It's an impressive car but I know I am going to miss my Zed badly - but I can't justify keeping it just to dribble over its looks and not drive it.

Added bonus was that after much haggling I secured a P/X offer £2K above what I paid for the Nismo. So 3 Zed's owned and bugger all money lost on depreciation across all of them - can't apply that to many cars.

I will always be a massive Zed fan and will no doubt lurk on the forum so I am not saying a goodbye ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nissanjuke said:

you will cry  :blush:

Hopefully not - although I think I must have been the most miserable person buying an RS3. Probably helped with getting a good deal - the sales guys must have seen that I would have happily walked away.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a sore one... but on to new things! I miss mine badly and I'm already considering my options for its actual replacement.  I don't count what has replaced it as the 'one' (I'm having a sort of...2 year crap car break lol).  Hope you enjoy the new one!

Edited by AMT

I know what you mean about missing them.  I sold my 350z in December and bought a focus st which was a nice car. Then my wife bought a  350z vert the same as my last of 1 just unmodified, I followed her up the road and realised I needed another zed in my life so bought a 370z :)

I always seem to pop up on these threads and usually after Payco, so i will just say, i am not trolling, but i for one say and know this a 350/370 forum but, i dont think you will miss the 370z one bit, why would you, rs3's are total weapons (although not my cup of tea)  Its like splitting up with a girlfriend, for a while you think you will never meet anyone as nice, few months down the line and count your lucky stars you got out of it and into something way way better! 

20 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I always seem to pop up on these threads and usually after Payco, so i will just say, i am not trolling, but i for one say and know this a 350/370 forum but, i dont think you will miss the 370z one bit, why would you, rs3's are total weapons (although not my cup of tea)  Its like splitting up with a girlfriend, for a while you think you will never meet anyone as nice, few months down the line and count your lucky stars you got out of it and into something way way better! 

My remapped A45 AMG was a "total weapon" (420bhp+) but it still didn't give me anything close to the pleasure of a Zed hence my return to the fold.  

• Like 1

You don't need to be the fastest to have the most fun or enjoyment. It is a wierd one as the Z had plenty of irritations but the whole package worked... big engine, decent power, rear wheel drive, great sound, looked the part. You could be in something less powerful but if it looks like a sports car and feels like it inside (I.e low down cocooned feeling) you feel more special and excited about going drives.  I've been in Golf Rs, some RS's and your in a hatch and no amount of pace and tinsel in the interior will hide the fact you can see round you from the high windows and multiple ones that your in a hatch. Z's interior sucked but the cascading centre console, the low windows and driving position made it feel like your in your own little super car (I know I use that loosely but you get the picture...see inner child for reasoning). 

An Audi hatch could be mental, but I'd still pick something stuck to the ground as it looks better IMO and feels more special.  Again everyone's different, I have friends who like this pick up truck trend to be high. I feel safer with my ass on the floor lol. Swings and roundabouts for everyone.... 

I'd love to go back to a Zed but the clutch annoyed me enough to think (with my daily traffic jam) I could do an auto with padels, as long as it has some sort of sleek appearance and 2 doors (although even these days things are getting bigger,taller, bulkier in design)... (I've plenty time just now to think about this unfortunately)

Edited by AMT
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2018 at 18:54, AMT said:

You don't need to be the fastest to have the most fun or enjoyment. It is a wierd one as the Z had plenty of irritations but the whole package worked... big engine, decent power, rear wheel drive, great sound, looked the part. You could be in something less powerful but if it looks like a sports car and feels like it inside (I.e low down cocooned feeling) you feel more special and excited about going drives.  I've been in Golf Rs, some RS's and your in a hatch and no amount of pace and tinsel in the interior will hide the fact you can see round you from the high windows and multiple ones that your in a hatch. Z's interior sucked but the cascading centre console, the low windows and driving position made it feel like your in your own little super car (I know I use that loosely but you get the picture...see inner child for reasoning). 

An Audi hatch could be mental, but I'd still pick something stuck to the ground as it looks better IMO and feels more special.  Again everyone's different, I have friends who like this pick up truck trend to be high. I feel safer with my ass on the floor lol. Swings and roundabouts for everyone.... 

I'd love to go back to a Zed but the clutch annoyed me enough to think (with my daily traffic jam) I could do an auto with padels, as long as it has some sort of sleek appearance and 2 doors (although even these days things are getting bigger,taller, bulkier in design)... (I've plenty time just now to think about this unfortunately)

I dont disagree with anything you have said, there are many aspects that make a car appealing, as i said which everyone seems to have missed, the rs3 isnt my cup of tea, but there is no denying it is an absolutely awesome car, same as the a45amg which i do like, they are both leagues ahead of a 370z, trim, handling infotainment. performance etc etc, looks are subjective as you well know so a matter of opinion so irrelevant discussing opinions as we are all different as you say. Sipar would make a very rare example i bet many wouldnt think about returning and do seem to recall Sipar being very happy with his change at the start of his ownership ;) 

• Like 1