Advice: FairladyZ vs 350Z

Hi 350Zers. i_bye.gif

First off, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section, and secondly, sorry if this issue has been posted before :)

I'm looking to buy a 350z in the summer, once I've paid off the current car. I've been surfing the likes of pistonheads.com etc, and I've seen alot of second hand FairladyZs. Are there any major drawbacks to owning a fairlady over a 350Z? Are there any insurance companys which insure Jap imports? Is there anything else I need to know/consider before I make my final decision? (I know these questions seem a little premature, considering when I plan to buy, but I like to be prepared :))

Thanks in advance.

DrEvil

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1781

Hi Bud and welcome to the forum. The physical differences are listed here.

After that its just a trade off. There is a general perception that an import may be cheaper to buy, it will also potentially have lower mileage for its age. No major drawbacks as far as I know. There are plenty of happy owners of each on here.

Just decide the spec you want and go for it.

moved this thread to here seeing as your new and introducing yourself

:welcome: and enjoy

not heard anybody complain about being a JDM owner. Only thing to sort is the radio, if there is satnav it's useless here and a speed delimiter, HKS make one that sorts it out

I don't have the patience to wait 4 months for a freshly imported Fairlady... I'll be busting to take it out straight away! B)

I'm assuming that I should be able to avoid the satnav/radio/delimiter problems, by buying a Z that's been in the UK a few years. Hopefully the previous owners would have sorted any problems :teeth:

Actually now that I think about it, there was a garage that I was told to avoid: Keighley motors, or something similarly named?

I don't have the patience to wait 4 months for a freshly imported Fairlady... I'll be busting to take it out straight away! B)

I'm assuming that I should be able to avoid the satnav/radio/delimiter problems, by buying a Z that's been in the UK a few years. Hopefully the previous owners would have sorted any problems :teeth:

Actually now that I think about it, there was a garage that I was told to avoid: Keighley motors, or something similarly named?

That's what I did , just buy a JDM that is already in the UK , all legal and on the road...Sat Nav is a waste of time though as is the Bose just buy a different head unit and you'll be OK..Speed limiter is easily overcome :thumbs:

That has been discussed on here before, and I think Ming warned us off them.

welcome along. As for the differences, when it comes down to it there doesn't really have to be any differences the cars are more or less the same other than there are more spec choices in Japan so you can get a lower spec than UK if you choose to or you can get one the same. I would simply pick a car you can afford that fits your requirements be it from japan or the UK. As for the Tesco insurance - I tried them but they required a tracker and were also very expensive for me. I used Keith Michaels but RAC were also good.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you've been really helpful. :teeth:

Basically, come late summer/autumn I'll be looking to spend approx 12-13K, so I will check here first to see if anyone is selling at that time :yahoo: I saw a really nice Zed on pistonheads today, just a shame I'm not in the market to buy right now! *sob*

Completely unrelated, a collegue was talking about the IAM test. Has anyone here taken the IAM test? Does it make a significant difference to the ins premium on a Zed?

Stay well clear of these cowboys, a load of bad reviews from there from the supra guys :scare:

Stay well clear of these cowboys, a load of bad reviews from there from the supra guys :scare:

The guys on Scooby Net said the same... Cowboys :rant:

The guys on Scooby Net said the same... Cowboys :rant: