Soon to be zed owner - a few questions...

Hi

Apologies if some of the below have already been asked / answered here.  I've spent far too many hours researching these cars online and have only achieved confusing myself even more with all of the contradictory answers!!

First dilemma - Do I buy a pre facelift car (up to 2006) in order to get the lower tax or fork out a bit extra for a 313hp 2007 model.  I'm aware of the upgrades to the interior on the latter (and the bonnet bulge) but is there really much performance difference in the real world?  I presume a few basic mods could bring the power of an early model close to the later engines?

I haven't actually driven a 350z yet.  I've had a few performance cars over the last 10 year and whilst I'm not necessarily looking for a faster car, I don't want to be disappointed with the power compared to previous drives (I'm all about the straight line acceleration - track days don't interest me).  Previous cars = Audi TT 225 (Remapped to 272hp - fast but dull), BMW Z4 3.0i (engine felt quite lazy), Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (No where near as impressive as the badge suggests - didn't like it at all!!), Mercedes Slk350 (quickest - lovely car), Mini JCW (rapid but skittish).  Anyone owned / driven any of these and able to give a comparison?  Due to a temporary cash flow hiccup I currently own a 2007 MX5 which is fun but doesn't even come close to having enough grunt for me...  

Finally, are there any model years with problems not to go for?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

I read the list of cars you have mentioned there...   my honest opinion in  that a zed probably isn't for you,   the turbo tt will feel faster because of the boost. I don't know about the sLk but I would imagine it's quite a bit lighter than a 350.

The zed to me (my opinion) is a little lazy unless pushed. It's a 3.5 v6 that's how the engines are.   A remap would make it livelier through the revs though. The later 350 HR has more power and revs higher so it might be the one for you to consider.

I personally looked at the zed for its all round appeal. Looks, reliability, Drive well and are not as common as some other sports cars.

I'm looking forward to what others have to say.

Edited by Jords
Typo

I have a HR and as good as it is, it isn't that quick in a straight line. Don't get me wrong it's a quick (ish) car but I've come across so many cars that have been modded/standard that have beaten me by a long shot. 

I bought the zed thinking  it was gonna be quick and would out do most other cars but looking back I should have got something else if I wanted straight line speed. 

Its a lovely car and a great daily driver so if your looking for something to drive around and do long distances then you can't go wrong. This is only my experience of the zed but others may have different out looks on it 

Many thanks for the replies.  Given me much food for thought.  I love the look of the 350z but I know if it didn't perform as my previous sports cars I'd be left wanting.  I've done the usual searches (fastest car for less than 10k etc) and apart from those I've already owned there isn't a lot out there aside from the hot hatches, which to me aren't quite 'special' enough.

Cheers

Paul

If its straight line speed or sort of racing from the lights probably an impreza or an evo. Get it remapped or spend some cash and shove a bigger turbo on it (just you know dont blow it up xD) Then the combination of AWD fairly lightweight and a huge helping of boost will probably take most things out there from a dig. But the comments above are right just take a test drive see if the car meshes well, yeah i know my 350 isnt the fastest and ive been beaten from the lights but I get a fantastic sensation from driving her fast. Just got to find the car that makes you tingle xD.

There's always going to be a time when you come up against a car that will wipe the floor with yours.  Buy an evo, there's lads who spend a small mortgage on theirs and would make you feel stupid if you thought you were fast.

I used to only care about what my car was faster than. Now I only care what my cars like to drive and be in. I think my zed taught me a bit about that.    It might not be the quickest car but she's pretty. And I could be at the lights behind a golf r, s3 etc.. And people would still admire the zed.

• Thanks 1