Bad day for my Z.. =/

4K1R4-350Z

So.. saw some sun out of the window and went for a lively run this morning before the monsoon hit!.., got her nicely warmed up and topped up with V-Power.

All started well when I started to notice a burning smell under heavy acceleration.. I've experienced This before (usually when running low on fuel, no idea if that has anything to do with it) but in this instance it was then followed by a few frequent and very bad slips of the clutch which engulfed my cabin with an extremely strong burning smell and in turn left my clutch pedal stuck to the floor... =(

I lifted the pedal the first 2 times and in the 3rd called it a day and managed to get her home, definitely not feeling herself and I felt like a loss of power.. it scared s$!7 out of me!

I noticed a small slip a couple days ago and put it down to my own error but should it really jump straight to this??

I did read a few posts about related issues but there's so any opinions that I figured I'd give my story and see if anyone can give any insight..

Let me know your thoughts, and again apologies if this has been covered a thousand times before..

Thankz

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You can DIY anything of course but can't say I recall reading of anyone fitting a new slave in a HR Zed themselves on here but doesn't mean it hasn't happened or that someones not done it on here. ;)

If you do have to replace the slave cylinder as the box has to come off you might want to consider whether you want to do a new clutch/flywheel whilst you're at it.

You could of course just have the clutch/fly inspected for wear but if the cars high mileage and never had the clutch/fly done it may well need doing realistically.

It's no harder than a DIY clutch change, Done a few now you get the kit whip the GB off swap the slave put it all back together and away you go.

For reference if it's your first DIY job - (top of my head so may have missed something)

Disconnect battery

Jack the car up - enough height to get the gearbox out helps. (Ramps are good if you have access)

Remove Zorst from Cats to rear axle

Disconnect wiring loom that runs down side of GB and across under engine to starter etc

Remove starter motor (make sur you disconnected the battery)

Remove CPS

Remove prop shaft (4 bolts at back) Mark prop so it goes back the same way)

Remove clutch line

Inside car remove gearstick trim and then the 3 bolts holding the gearstick down

Under car remove rear rubber boot and bolt on gearstick (gearstick now pops out)

Undo GB to engine bolts – don’t miss the dust plate bottom centre

With help slide GB backwards about 3 inches and it will drop out (need a friend to help)

Don’t think I missed anything – replace clutch / slave and reverse the above

Good Luck :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, yea I was thinking about doing clutch/fly at the same time & since im in no way a mechanic ; taking her half apart is a little scary so don't wanna be doing it twice!, although it doesn't sound too bad broken down so think I may give this a go next weekend..!

Thanks again guys!

I'll let ya'll know how it goes! 😉

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Plenty of traders on here that can help you get a good deal on the parts btw.

Clark Motorsport, Torqen and more for example which are all in the "Professional Traders" sub section.

You could get everything in one deal for example: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92517-new-release-xtreme-clutch-kit-inc-smf-and-csc-solution-350z-hr-and-370z/

• Like 1

I had similar issue with clutch stuck down when doing a 1/4 mile on an airfield. Smelt for about a day. I had boiled my clutch fluid and it was a dark colour. So changed clutch and brake fluid and so far it hasn't happened again.

But then again I haven't been racing on an airfield lately.. It's been about 6+ month with no problems after the change.

Chris Drift on YouTube also experienced this clutch stuck down last week while drifting. It's a common thing on the zed unfortunately.

Whilst you've got her up in the air and doing the slave, clutch and fly it may be worth considering a braided clutch line and some uprated fluid too. Do the lot and you should be sitting pretty for another 50k at least.

• Like 1