Tired Tyres! Got some quotes...

reeceybeaney

Never bought tyres for a car ever... so I know very little about what to look for and brands etc, so I need some help!

When the time comes (which won't be long), I will be changing all 4 tyres on the 350z, 18's Rays.

I will not be tracking the car at all it will be a daily driver.

I've got some quotes on a couple of sets of tyres as followed (including fitting), what do you guys think?

Avon ZZ5's £373

Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 £423

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 £456

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A £472

MPSS4's £567

I know MPSS seem to be an all round favourite but are they really £200 better than avons?!

Edited by reeceybeaney
  • Like 1

Tyres are one of those things to not be scimped on IMO. They are the first and last thing connecting you to the road buddy.

Its a good idea to do some research for your own peace of mind, as various different brands have different side wall strengths, compound and how long they last under normal driving conditions. I personally run the Hankook V12s and have no complaints about them at all.

All tyres will have ratings on them, very similar to your electrical appliances rated from A - E for wet grip, fuel economy and road noise :)

Avons will be fine until they aren't, and then you'll wish you had MPS4s. ;)

Check out the Falken FK510s, they have similar performance to MPSS, but are much cheaper. Lacking a bit in dry performance, but that's less of a concern for a daily.

My car came with the zz5's on the rear (brand new). I've had 3 years out of them including numerous days at the drag strip, track days and fast road hooning and they never slipped out of line once. I like them and will be putting a full new set on in a couple of months. They get very good wet ratings too. Obviously the mpss are better, your car, your money.

Edited by Irn Bru

Check out the Falken FK510s, they have similar performance to MPSS, but are much cheaper. Lacking a bit in dry performance, but that's less of a concern for a daily.

Where does this info come from as i heard 453 were supposed to be just a peg down from mpss so i went to them when money was tight after my mpss got worn out and they are oceans apart?

(And before anyone gets upset, I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but people who test tyres for a living say the FK510s are good, so it's only fair to provide something substantial to dispute that. Though if you've got no personal experience of them, then I'm not sure how that can be done.)

Are we looking at the same graphs?

510:

- Top for wet braking

- Dry braking is 7% worse than SC6

- Wet handling is 1% worse than SC6

- Dry handling is <1% worse than SC6

So basically it's essentially equal to an SC6, but better at wet braking.

I looked at the overall performance on all four links. I read the descriptions rather than just looked at the numbers, compared their experiences and baselines to my own of the tyres I've tried, and figured out that I really wouldn't put them on a 350 or anything with proper oomph.

Given the SC6 aren't exactly awesome, then I'm not entirely happy that I'd want to put anything lesser on. EF1s are superb in the dry, but I find them nervous in the wet.

Falken Azenis FK510

Total: 44 / Dry: 7 / Wet: 8 / Comfort: 6 / Rolling Resistance: 4 / Noise: 6 / Wear: 6 / Cost: 7

Positive: Good controllability, high lateral stability and short braking distances on dry surfaces, well priced

Negative: Relatively high rolling resistance

Overall: Exemplary

Falken Azenis FK510

Total: 28 / Dry: 7 / Wet: 7 / Comfort: 4 / Rolling Resistance: 4 / Noise: 6

Positive: Short braking distances on wet surfaces, good handling and steering feel in the dry and wet, attractive price

Negative: Slightly slower steering than the best on test, low level of comfort, high rolling resistance

Overall: Recommended

Sounds good to me... It's more of a mid range tyre, but it seems like a damn good one to me.

My car came with the zz5's on the rear (brand new). I've had 3 years out of them including numerous days at the drag strip, track days and fast road hooning and they never slipped out of line once. I like them and will be putting a full new set on in a couple of months. They get very good wet ratings too. Obviously the mpss are better, your car, your money.

That's a very handy post, thanks! Sounds like they hold up pretty well. Out of curiosity, I don't know if you daily your zed, how many miles would you say you got out of them?

• Like 1

Tyres are one of those things to not be scimped on IMO. They are the first and last thing connecting you to the road buddy.

Its a good idea to do some research for your own peace of mind, as various different brands have different side wall strengths, compound and how long they last under normal driving conditions. I personally run the Hankook V12s and have no complaints about them at all.

All tyres will have ratings on them, very similar to your electrical appliances rated from A - E for wet grip, fuel economy and road noise :)

My dad runs them Hankook's on his BMW M's and he swears by them! I am just after the best tyres for the value and I couldn't justify the price differences on some! But I don't have any experience, so that's why I want to hear from you guys and what you have and your opinions.

That's a very handy post, thanks! Sounds like they hold up pretty well. Out of curiosity, I don't know if you daily your zed, how many miles would you say you got out of them?

Mines isn't a daily driver so really hard to give you good answer on the mileage tbh, especially as mine has seen track and drag days and spirited driving when I'm out enjoying her at the weekends on b road blasts. I'd reckon they would be as good as any tyre for normal driving, except maybe the mpss.

I've only done 11k miles in 3 years in my Zed, but it's been 'spirited' driving 95% of the time, sorry can't been any more accurate or informative than that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as a little review... Got some Goodyear Eagle F1s on the zed now and I made the right decision! So much quieter now and even a better ride along with the obvious grip/handling improvement :D would recommend :thumbs:

Second on that I have the goodyears asymmetric 2 and I rate them quite highly. Was never a fan of the Bridgestones.