OliB's Red Zed

OliverB

Hi all,

I figured as I've got the Zedditis bug pretty bad I should make a build thread to document my efforts! I'll also include some of the history of issues and events that occur, already had a lively time together.

A little about me - the 350z is the first car I've modified beyond token cosmetic items. The aim is to learn as much as possible while making the car look and perform as well as it can (within my rather modest budget) and go to some shows, meeting some like-minded folks.

Car history:

Ford KA (1998)

Ford Fiesta (1998)

MG ZS 120 (2002)

Nissan 350z (2007 - late registration RevUp model)

I'll keep updating this as things go in, quite far down the line already so will be a big first update to get up to speed.

As I write this first post, the body kit I bought a while back is being primed and ready for painting and fitting over the weekend, so that's rather exciting.

At the first meet in MK

UAchozA.jpg

Already had the stubby aerial fitted!

SoVKFwp.jpg

I had the wheels resprayed in gunmetal and added what look like red rimblades, but were actually red reflective stickers (they are common on motorbikes). Taking those stickers off took the paint with them unfortunately.

xN2HuI8.jpg

At one of the first meets in MK, over a year ago now

We had a bunch more meets in MK before the evenings grew a bit too dark and chilly

hoIkPcF.jpg

CXbqDJr.jpg

TITTuA7.jpg

When I realised I needed LED side lights!

Annoyingly just before Silverstone JapFest 2016, while at the darn valet of all things, my immobiliser had a malfunction

5DKWx8W.jpg

mqfSbBx.jpg

xmLjQOL.jpg

I was quite fond of the wheel reflectors, for something like a tenner:

jC7BKDE.jpg

A new gear shift went in, just for the hell of it

Pn01dHt.jpg

4rD4sRE.jpg

mG66xhU.jpg

• Like 1

Rear wiper delete followed next:

Nh2hjBk.jpg

rCHLWuo.jpg

Removed the boot weight and the wiper motor, solved my issue with the boot not opening first time every time (had to press the button twice)

nCIBDcm.jpg

I had to find a rubber insert for where the washer jet was before the rain in a hurry!

I noticed the headlights were a bit on the cloudy side so had a go:

irRfPUQ.jpg

Before

liXnDTz.jpg

After, worked for a while, didn't have any UV sealant so eventually went back to how it was before

I bought a carbon fibre slam panel for a bit of engine bling. Unfortunately it didn't fit for whatever reason so I traded it in (for boot struts and a magnetic sump plug). What added insult to injury was that all 6 of the bumper clips snapped on removal, despite our best efforts!

NFgHiJQ.jpg

2hCI9a0.jpg

It's a shame the bonnet didn't close properly, but oh well.

At some stage in all this I lost a game of 'where's that bollard', rather unfortunate scuff, cracked the rear lower right light (and the socket in which it sits) and took add insult chipped my tail light too! :rant:

hF5GeSt.jpg

At this stage I decided I wanted to go for a body kit, as I'd had my eye on a few after the meets and frankly a good repair of the rear bumper just seemed excessive. So I got in touch with Aerokit (aerokit.eu) who gave me a really good price and also put me in touch with Frantic Performance, who are doing the work now.

In the meantime, someone put an advert up selling a JWT Popcharger, so I jumped at that. Sure they may not make performance gains but they look and sound damn good and it was a chance to learn about the intake system.

OtL5ZId.jpg

3Z5m0N5.jpg

Before the install

PJ9O5r9.jpg

MAF housing sitting on top

k3YXsrc.jpg

There she is! Strut bar was refitted and a bracket was made later.

hkJ2syO.jpg

Bought some metal from Wickes, cut and bent it into shape, as I didn't get one with the intake. Looks almost like the stock one!

Now for the body kit fitting! Of course it had to start on the 1st of April, I'll take my chances. Frantic Performance are based in Witney, Oxfordshire and I met Mark and the team in person, despite needing a lift (shoulder surgery just before).

They had some great looking drift cars, over 1000bhp in one case, which gave me confidence.

QzowKwG.jpg

Honestly seeing this made me feel better about my rear bumper damage :D

Cx4RqnQ.jpg

Another very tidy car at Frantic.

FYZeDIb.jpg

My bumpers off the car

LTYJ3H8.jpg

Removing the washer jets and their various bits and pieces

AuRM7k1.jpg

Removing some fouled bits of plastic that sit behind the front bumper, apparently no longer needed so out they go!

TFdpZUd.jpg

Test fitting the rear bumper (Aerokit R-1)

b6YKLD3.jpg

Test fitting the front bumper (also Aerokit R-1), the intake is functional and sits in front of the cone filter

Frantic asked if I wanted to go for bolts or 'jap clips'. The latter look like this:

ByQUcsY.jpg

The clips make taking the bumper on and off a quick job, as well as adding some flexibility to reduce damage. However they are a bit too 'race car' for me, especially as I'm not looking to track the car, for now at least.

V1kFEx4.jpg

The front crash bar, all exposed

C8oZyQd.jpg

Removing the air bubbles by hand, looks like a long process.

kbrDxoG.jpg

Side steps fitted! These came in black which saved me some cash

LBiN2EU.jpg

Test fitting the rear lights and plate

gSIRvrN.jpg

Test fitting the Nismo V-1 replica spoiler

wQKmNe5.jpg

Bumpers primed, sanded and about to go in for painting this weekend!

Cheers gents. Hadn't known about the MAF sensor position, seems happy for the moment, was tricky to get it at the stock position due to knocking against something, can't recall what.

I'm going for a map in a couple of months so will make sure everything is just right then. Unless of course there's an urgent need to spin it round to 1 o'clock?

I'll be able to pick car up tomorrow, hurrah!

UppKdBk.jpg

Painted spoiler

lKLAxys.jpg

Painted rear bumper (diffuser still to be painted black)

Hopefully I'll get a couple more photos this evening, failing that I'll take heaps when I pick the car up :)

• Like 3

Cars looking great.

Got the same rear bumper as yourself such a pain how my fingers can't fit up into the rear lights hhaha the shop cut the holes very small. Think I will do what you have done and cut the whole rectangle.

• 2 weeks later...

So here are the photos of the (more or less) finished result! I'm very happy with it. Still need to put in a mesh in front of the radiator and possibly the bumper intake too. Going to find a place to put the front plate, looking at legality of leaving it on the windshield (stuck to it rather than hidden behind the wiper of course). Paint work is very good. Need to adjust the odd line here or there but sorting that out with Frantic soon.

GT4 wheels are on with 20mm spacers to give it a better stance and keep with the red and black theme. I had red rimblades to go on which will top it off, just need some warm weather or a heat gun to get them stuck on.

UpflpnU.jpg

Ex0BW6s.jpg

QbLqXsJ.jpg

ezUzH0o.jpg

Looks best in the sunshine :D

• Like 1

Been a while since I fitted mine, but I'm 99% sure that ain't a Popcharger you've got there.

- They didn't come with alloy intake pipe

- They didn't come with that style of alloy welded MAF adaptor

- They didn't come with red filters

The heatshield is genuine, at least! :)

Looking good mate. Not sure I like that front lip with that kit, rest of it looks ace though :thumbs: