New Scirocco

Digsy

Had a good look at the Scirocco in Geneva. In white it sucked but in red it looked really good. Obviously haven't driven it but I'd tell mates that are looking a a golf to take a look at one of these. Love the shape of the bonnet.

• 8 months later...

Saw my first one of these up close yesterday and I think I have to revise my opinion on it. The photos simply don't do the shape and particularly the proportions justice. In flesh it really doesn't look like a regular hatch, its far too low and wide for that. The lower front grille really dominates the front and makes it look quite aggressive, if not quite the "scare small children" type of aggression that the original concept had. VW have even resisted the temptation to stick it on tiny wheels and make buyers pay for the upgrade. The interior's pretty safe and boring but, needless to say, feels a quality job.

One thing though - why call it Scirocco? I'm of the age where that name conjures up limp-wristed, all white MK2's driven by girls and hairdressers. This car is far too muscular for that and would have suited the Corrado handle far better. Surely they could have played on the fact that the Corrado was one of the best handling FWD cars of the nineties and not traded on image alone....

Err.... well.... i think it looks rubbish.. seen one up close at the MPH show.. it is , well, boring... it does look korean/french/italian/german euro bland...

The old scirocco's, whilst not the fastest nor best handling cars, at least looked radically different from the golf's .. this just looks like the b4st4rd love child of the golf and the new renault migraine ...

My mate has a 55 plate gti and it is OK.. isn't too quick, handles ok, looks nice and is well screwed together.. all round it is a good car that i wouln't be too upset if i had one... i like golfs, i liked corrado's and old scirroco's.. i even like the audi a8 inspired vw phaeton....

The VW Shishocko leaves me thinking bland and about as exciting as sleeping....

Seen a white one knocking round Bury recently - and well I'd rather have a 370Z - there...... thats how bad the Fugly thing looks! :lol:

Its just got no soul at all - at least the original was light and cool - this thing is just Boring and bland like the rest of the VW range (Former VW nut) nothing other that the Transporter van is well anything to write home about! Whilst on the subject why have a Passat Coupe whats all that about?? :headhurt: