D2S bulb price variation is crazy. Any good sources?

Aashenfox

Hiya folks, as title, really. I'm in the process of updating my headlights to 06+ spec as well as gutting the POS aftermarket HID system the previous monkey owner fitted.

I've already bought the Depo headlights, and found a good source for ballasts on ebay, also got the plugs I need to do the loom conversion, now I just need bulbs. Having looked on ebay, I find the price range is ludicrous. You can pay from 15 quid a bulb all the way up to 90 for D2S bulbs.

How does one know what is good value? Thanks for any hints, and by the way if anyone has any ballasts going cheap and/or bulbs, let me know! Cheers!

I generally believe that cheap ebay stuff is just as good as expensive branded versions. They are probably all made with the same stuff in the same factory, the expensive one just has stricter QC and a premium price.

Just find one from a seller with good rep and with a lot of units sold, should be a safe bet.

I generally believe that cheap ebay stuff is just as good as expensive branded versions. They are probably all made with the same stuff in the same factory, the expensive one just has stricter QC and a premium price.

Just find one from a seller with good rep and with a lot of units sold, should be a safe bet.

In some cases I agree, but I particularly like Sargara's recommendation as they are clearly genuine philips bulbs for a price at which you can usually only find off brand bulbs (which as you say could well be 90 quid xenarcs, but you never do know), so that basically ticks all my boxes. Genuine brand, good price, recommendation from peer. Can't ask for much more!

• Like 1

£40 for a pair of philips is excellent value. For unbranded stuff I would be aiming around a similar price point and have done in the past without issue.

Keep in mind that you need D2R for prefacelift lamps and D2S for facelift :thumbs:

Holy Moly, they're steep, Dan. I guess you're right they're probably worth it, since those ebay Philips quote between 3150 and 3650, so probably tending toward the higher end of that on average, lets say 3500, quite a bargain, but like you say, still far from the 4000.

Quick question while I've got you guys on the line, how long do your lights take to warm up, and how strong is your instant flash? The aftermarket HID thing on my car takes about 20 seconds to warm up and the flash is weeeeeak. Just curious what to expect from nissan 35W ballasts, depo lights and good bulbs in terms of warm up and flash?

Edited by Aashenfox

I don't use instant flash on mine, but flicking to high beam for 10+ secs of driving is fine. Comes on, goes off, no probs.

Really, you shouldn't be flashing people on the roads. At night it just blinds them, and during the day a hand signal is more positive.

I don't flash people at night, but in Greece it is sometimes necessary to flash someone if you really do want them to STOP at the stop sign they just reached, instead of pulling out in front of you (exactly opposite of what you do in the UK, flashing to let someone out can get you into a crash over here). Flash here means 'coming through!!!'. I also prefer to flash people who've fallen asleep at the wheel when the light has turned green, necessary approximately half the times you stop at a traffic light (minor exaggeration) rather than beeping which I reserve only for fools (so only about 15 times a day). More aggression here is what keeps you out of trouble, dithering people get into trouble, so you need to be quick with a flash here and there. ;) NOBODY is courteous. I really should do a GoPro of me crossing Athens in the Zed one day, I'm sure you guys would find it entertaining. I am, absolutely, ruthless. Mwahahahaha.

Edited by Aashenfox

• 10 months later...
On 15/03/2017 at 17:15, Ekona said:

Just coming back to THIS subject again as I want to purchase some decent bulbs now.

The ones you've mentioned must have changed because they are 2800lm now.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/85126WHVC1/xenon-whitevision-xenon-car-headlight-bulb/specifications

Does anyone else have these, and are they bright ?