DIY Tyre Lettering

Strudul

Bit of a Marmite one I know, but setting aside opinions of how amazing it will look, I was thinking about making some tyre letters like the ones you can buy at Tred Wear etc, but without the $100 price tag.

Can't believe it'd be that hard, and gotta look better than Tipex / tyre paint pens. ;)

I'm assuming all I'd need is some vinyl / rubber sheet and something to stick it to the tyre with? However that's where my expertise ends. Dunno what grade rubber / vinyl I'd need (if they even comes in grades) and what sort of glue would be suitable.

Could anyone recommend some products?

Would these be suitable:

Rubber

Glue

Cheers

Edited by Strudul

As an adhesive, would the stuff work that you use to affix patches to fix holes in bicycle tubes?

Think I've seen that recommended before, and got loads of the stuff cos I used to get punctures all the time :lol:

Not sure how well it would hold up though, you can peel them off without too much trouble and the sidewall surface isn't particularly flat to get a good bond. Definitely worth a try though,

While I do think vulcanising solution from a bicycle puncture repair kit will work, I think personally, I would probably buy a tin of white plastidip, spray some into a beaker and get my paintbrush out.

Edited by Aashenfox

From reading the previous treadwear threads you had to remove the raised rubber parts of letters on the tyre before applying the letters?

Fox might have a good point, I wonder if you made a stencil and overlaid it on the tyre could you just spray plastidip onto it direct?

When I fitted treadwear the sandpaper is for roughage, it's the three scrubbings before hand with degreaser that are the ballache. You need to shift as much oil, grease, ooomscah from the prepared surface as you can before even breaking out the sandpaper. When you think the tyre area is clean, wash it twice more and see the black STILL on your cloth. Also be ready to wipe up excess, my first tyre was messy but you get into it after that.

Would dip last on the tyre? I thought when spraying their wheels a lot of people let the dip oversray onto the tyre because it just comes off by itself? Or would it be pretty permanent if the tyre is cleaned properly.

Would dip last on the tyre? I thought when spraying their wheels a lot of people let the dip oversray onto the tyre because it just comes off by itself? Or would it be pretty permanent if the tyre is cleaned properly.

I don't know, honestly, but I believe that if cleaned and prepped properly, it would stick initially, for how long though...

Isn't the area of the tyre likely to be compressing/extending multiple times a second? As plastidip is a "second skin" on top of the surface, don't you think it might be torn to pieces by the flexing?

That said, it's worth a punt for the price.

Out of interest, what are you putting on them? What writing I mean

Not decided yet. Was initially going to do whatever tyre brand is on my next set of tyres, but could also do "350Z", or "NISSAN" at the top and "350Z" at the bottom, or just "Z", or maybe "STRUDUL" ;)

Isn't the area of the tyre likely to be compressing/extending multiple times a second? As plastidip is a "second skin" on top of the surface, don't you think it might be torn to pieces by the flexing?

That said, it's worth a punt for the price.

That's my concern. It's pretty flexible, feels like a thin rubber glove when you peel it off, but I reckon it would start to crack.

Have you not learnt yet that doing things in the cheap doesn't work for you? :p;)

It's DIY, not on the cheap, that'd be tipex / paint pen. I'm doing it properly, the same way the pros make the permanent ones.

I'd also like to point out that my wheels, handles and emblems look fantastic dipped. The problem was someone else doing something on the cheap and getting a shitty front bumper respray that ruined my amazing dipping skills.

My louvres are coming along nicely too. :thumbs:

:bleh:

Edited by Strudul

If you had a front lip and some black side-step style skirts, yes, I like it. On a stock car, not so much.

Needs moar 'GT' to pull that off, imo. I'd also reduce the size by about 10%.

EDIT: IMO, your car would be complete with stated lip (VS or Mines style), side step skirts, black rear spoiler and roof (if not already) top secret style diffuser (or tuck and bottomline spats) WITH tyre lettering. But I realise that's a silly statement, cos thankfully, our tastes are entirely unlikely to coincide in every detail, but hey, just throwing it out there. :)

Edited by Aashenfox

If you had a front lip and some black side-step style skirts, yes, I like it. On a stock car, not so much.

Needs moar 'GT' to pull that off, imo. I'd also reduce the size by about 10%.

Gotta start somewhere. ;) And there's gonna be a great big black louvre handing off the back window too :bleh: