Bridgestone vs Dunlop

Damian

Hello guys,

I'm currently in Dubai and here rain is not a problem as it only happens a few days a year, so mostly dry/sandy roads. I have a 2014 370Z and I think is time to change the tyres. The are 19 inches Bridgestone Potenza RE050A.

To give an idea I can get the originals which are rated 94W and 96W for arund 720 pounds and the Dunlops are 460 pounds... you see big difference.

My question is.. would they be much worse than the originals? And how the 94/96 rating impacts compared to let's say a 100/100 or 100/98 rating? It's my daily driver and there are lots of bumps here (roads are pretty good, but bumps are made for 4x4 it seems), so I don't really want to compromise much on comfort.

What do you guys think?

They're the most important part of the car, and the only thing keeping you in contact with the road and will affect the driving experience much more than any other part of the car. If there's one place not to scrimp, it's the tyres.

Tbh, you'd be better off looking at the MPS4S now, they ain't gonna be much more than the 050As and will be 100% better.

I can't believe you can't get MPS4S in Dubai. The country where everyone must have the latest and greatest, regardless of cost?

Try contacting Michelin directly.

Checked already... there no CUP2S neither SP4S here... only CUP2 and SP4. No one has experience with the Dunlops?

I run the SportMaxx GT's in 20's and they ain't cheap but are superb tyres, beat the mpss in the latest Evo tyre test too.

Given that Evo stated in their test that the MPSS dry performance came 1st in the two test and the Dunlops 7th and 8th (out of 9), then it's even more clear that the MPSS would be a better choice for him. The Dunlops are an average tyre: No more, no less.

If you can't get the MPS4S, then get the MPS4. They also use the multicompound design that the Cup2s use. Although I suspect at this point you've already made your mind up to use the Dunlops on cost alone and are wanting someone to validate that opinion, so I'll leave you guys to it.

alas we don't all live in an ideal permanently dry country and the Dunlops had better all weather performance by a mile, agreed if living only in Dubai with no rain at all then the Michelins for the win but the op doesn't appear to want to spend serious dosh on tyres so actually both the Dunlops and the Michelins are out of his budget .

It's not only about price.. is also availability.. I just checked with many vendors are there are not michelins available for my size. The only thing I'm getting atm are Pirellis P Zero (similar price to Potenza), Potenza RE050A (3260 AED), Dunlop Maxx 050+ (2150 AED).

alas we don't all live in an ideal permanently dry country and the Dunlops had better all weather performance by a mile, agreed if living only in Dubai with no rain at all then the Michelins for the win but the op doesn't appear to want to spend serious dosh on tyres so actually both the Dunlops and the Michelins are out of his budget .

Youre talking to people that have real life experience ......... MPSS are the best, Bridgestone RE050A are close behind, Dunlops dont feature on many peoples lists, even those that live in the UK.

OP, Bridgestone > Pirelli P Zero as well :thumbs:

Seems the wear on the RE050A is pretty bad? For the reviews I've seen...

The car was lady driven before.. so.. not much of a spirited drive.

Anyhow.. got my car out of service and I guess I have a few months to change them, I'll wait till the 2017 tyres come. Still I'll not spend stupid money on tyres because here Michelin seems pretty expensive