Supra MkV

Strudul

I seem to remember the Supra costing £45-£50k in 93, that was a lot of money and pitching alongside cars of a much higher pedigree.

£50K in '93 would be £93K today, adjusted for inflation.

I'd expect that to be about right. I don't know where BMW will pitch their version, given the i8 exists at close to that price point. However, no-one in their right mind will pay £90K for a Toyota. Tbh, I can't see anyone paying £50K for a Toyota!

Oi, leave off the Toyota bashing :lol:

• Like 1

However, no-one in their right mind will pay £90K for a Toyota.

I think it all depends on the tech and power it comes with.

People pay £80k+ for a Nissan's

And people are now paying £150k for a Honda (Yes it is a different league of car and technology, but its still a Honda!)

+1, I am not really fussed by a badge, I would have bought a gtr when they came out at 52k (if I had it), admittedly I would struggle to justify its current price but thats only because I know I could buy a 2nd hand one for a lot less thats not much different.

If that new Supra turned up looking like an ft1 with an exciting drivetrain, I wouldnt be down the german dealers with my 90k.

And they barely sold any IFAs. GT-R is hardly flying off the shelves like it was when it was £55K.

Don't get wrong, I don't give a toss about badges either which is why I bought a Vauxhall over a Lotus, but the market as a whole would not be buying a Toyota when you can get the BMW for £10K more.

Drivetrain, 2.0 ltr turbo or v8 etc etc materials, carbon, leather or usual jdm plastics, body shape is largely irrelevant and its already been developed, moulds will have been made and used.

Guessing you havent driven many modern high performance cars, they have zero issues of parking, speed bumps, too big for the road etc and all are pedestrian safe.

The gtr manages to take on the german marques without issue, why not Toyota, particularly if it looked like the Ft1, thats the target market.

Anyway, I couldnt afford one but wouldnt be spending my 60 or 70k if i had it looking like your link :)

I bet the GT-R isn't as profitable as cheaper cars though.

God knows what the price is gonna be, stupid probably as most 'old skool era' cars we all loved are chasing higher performance areas meaning BUMP goes the price. Same with the new Zed, if it ever gets made and however they do it, it won't be cheap I bet. You got 309 ponies rear wheel drive and a decent sporty shape for £30K... try near that price now and you get a well handling GT86/BRZ but with woeful power, want 300+bhp? you're gonna be spending upwards towards £40K and if it's a Porsche etc get ready to fork out a hell of a lot more.

Another example is the Celica GT of 2000's era, not bad looking IMO, sporty shape, low rear, the GT made it look the part, interior was cheap as hell but had that supercary look with the cascading dash, 7 secs to 60 and I think you were looking at £19K, now its not terrible old yet the thing that technically replaces it (cough GT86 again cough) is just as fast but not really faster....yet you will be looking at £27K+...

Where are the performance bargains these days?! (you could say Focus RS but still dear enough).

In terms of the Supra styling, I wouldn't want it bang on to the concept, I realise thats not possible. Just stretch it out a bit more and lower the engine (if possible) to lower that bonnet to the arch. Tellin' ye its too sTuMpY... lol :lol:

Edited by AMT

• 2 weeks later...

God knows what the price is gonna be, stupid probably as most 'old skool era' cars we all loved are chasing higher performance areas meaning BUMP goes the price. Same with the new Zed, if it ever gets made and however they do it, it won't be cheap I bet.

Amen. It says a lot when the only "sporty" bargain from new is an MX5. The GT86 was too if you lived in Japan, but they priced it a lot higher over here, greed perhaps who knows?

Edited by Sargara

Amen. It says a lot when the only "sporty" bargain from new is an MX5. The GT86 was too if you lived in Japan, but they priced it a lot higher over here, greed perhaps who knows?

Don't forget the Fiesta ST. Not a sports car, but it is "sporty"... ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm still undecided on this. Don't think it will be quite as good as the concept but hopefully not far off

I think it will be more of a GT86 big brother than a 21st century supra

When will it be unveiled?

• Like 1

I'm still undecided on this. Don't think it will be quite as good as the concept but hopefully not far off

I think it will be more of a GT86 big brother than a 21st century supra

When will it be unveiled?

Supposedly a Cayman rival.

Might make an appearance at the Tokyo Motor Show in October, but not expected to be available in the UK until 2019.

That looks quite good I think! Tiny window on the boot lid must make visibility difficult and the roof reminds me of a Peugeot rc-z but if it's anything like the old supra in terms of performance then who cares!

It's not a tiny window though, that's just a small hole they've cut in to the vinyl to mask the shape, the glass will be most of the rear as per the renders.

Edited by nimz

I think it depends where BMW want to position it, you'd reckon somewhere around the £80k mark to give a nice gap between that and the i8, so perhaps £70k-£75k for the Yota? Performance will be okay but not stunning, it's going to be a heavy old thing I think

I think it depends where BMW want to position it, you'd reckon somewhere around the £80k mark to give a nice gap between that and the i8, so perhaps £70k-£75k for the Yota? Performance will be okay but not stunning, it's going to be a heavy old thing I think

Nahhhh

One big reason the GT86 isn’t gaining lots more power is the incoming Supra, a car that make’s Tada-San’s face light up at the very mention of its name. Telling evo 'The car should be lighter than its rivals', Tada-San’s admiration for the Porsche Cayman over the larger, heavier 911 gives a hint to the new car’s size and character. The new car is being co-developed with BMW; the German manufacturer's Z4-replacing Z5 will be on the same platform.

• 1 month later...