Well.... the mighty vq is no more :(

dougie350

my car spends most its life being bashed on the limiter being a drift car...

Worth looking into oil cooler, baffled sump

I'm quite surprised if you frequently drift (or anyone tracking a lot) the car that you didn't already have those two installed.

Spilt milk and all of that.

Like wise for fuel, unless you meant 'normal' as in 98 for Z's.

95 Ron and bearing regardless it is NA if my car it would be already replaced by 88k miles

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Sorry what?

On 88k miles if my engine a new set of bearings would be there

Expensive lesson for me. Doh.

Idiot.

It will have been mapped on Vpower too when I had it turbo'd.

*hangs head in shame*

Have you been using normal fuel aswell lol? Big mistake. Maybe not too late to save it tho. And if you have low comp pistons it might be enough to have not caused any issues

I've heard and read stories on a lot of stock vq35de failing on track bearing related. So it is not common thing for vq to fail. As buddy is saying vq ECU use double tables for correction so if too much of knocking is appearing it is using low ignition timing tables.Vq35de for a v6 3.5 it uses really low amount of oil, which relates to cooling. Clearances on crank are not enough for the size of journals. Combine all this together you get a bearing failure and knock knock who's there

Edited by Snjur

Ok, well at least we're maybe getting somewhere with diagnosis of the problem! No there isn't any stickers saying, I knew that it's better to put 98 in, but I didn't think it would be deadly putting in 95. I guess I know for next time now

Well.... this is interesting! I think I may have f****d up then! I actually thought they were ok to run on 95 fuel! But yes you are all right, that must have played a massive contributing part in it!

Ah that sucks man :( I think I broke mine by using too thick an oil :/ we will learn from our mistakes lol. Are you gona go for the 1uz now?

Yeah understandable man. I wasn't missing it too much but over the last couple of weeks I've been choking to get back out. I'm probably going to be another 2 months before I've got mine built and run in, staying positive tho. At least you know that if you buy another vq you could have the car back out in a day, but it's the cost of another vq that could end up knocking. It's a hard choice man

• Like 1

Nissan bearings are fine, in fact they are better to use compared with off the shelf aftermarket items as you can get them in much more varied sizes rather than std or oversized as some manufacturers sell. White metal is destroyed by other factors like impurities and heat.

I have acl but would be tempted to switch to oem. As for tolerance if you do some searching there's lots of conflictiting opinions on what size gaps to use for different power levels. I would say own tolerances are fine if the correct oil is used, think about the tiny squirters if you use too thick an oil they won't shift much under the pistons until it's properly warmed up.

• Like 1

When all is fine with vq just Google vq35de engine fail...

Vq has been around now 2 decades. All the weak spots have been figured out. We have 3 boosted Z-ed here built on same principle 550 650 and 900 bhp. Never issues with the bearings or rod's or knock knock. Car driven daily, tracked and street raced

Edited by Snjur

Vq has been around now 2 decades. All the weak spots have been figured out. We have 3 boosted Z-ed here built on same principle 550 650 and 900 bhp. Never issues with the bearings or rod's or knock knock. Car driven daily, tracked and street raced

900hp on stock rods?!

900hp on stock rods?!

Of course no :o

Engine has been rebuilded. Started with Procharger than moved to Precision turbo 6266, now on size bigger new Precision and high compression pistons aiming for 4 digits HP.

Edited by Snjur

900hp on stock rods?!

Of course no :o

Engine has been rebuilded. Started with Procharger than moved to Precious turbo 6266, now on size bigger new Precision and high compression pistons aiming for 4 digits HP.