How To Refill Washer Fluid?

Strudul

I took my front bumper off, which involved disconnecting the headlight washer fluid tubes. Most of the fluid drained out (from both tanks - which seem to be connected) and I collected it in bottles. About 5 pints of the stuff came out...

Just tried pouring it back in, only manged a pint or so before it was gonna overflow. I assume there's just trapped air, but I've no idea how to clear it out. Tried using the windscreen and headlight washers, it went down a bit, but not 4 pints worth...

What am I doing wrong?

Mine took around 7ltrs when i took bumper off and drained. Is it possible you could have trapped or kinked a pipe when reconnecting bumber? There is a hose that connects the 2 reservoirs so poss that is trapped?

Bumper off again and watch the reservoir fill up? Does yours has 1 or 2 reservoirs? I'm guesssing it will automatically fill the 2nd reservoir, washer fluid being transferred slowly to 2nd hence if have emptied both, might take longer to fill up both? ie you might need to refill again sometime later when it's transferred to the next? I might be wrong.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/18660-how-to-remove-the-front-bumper/ - OP only has one, post no2 has 2.

Bumper off again and watch the reservoir fill up? Does yours has 1 or 2 reservoirs? I'm guesssing it will automatically fill the 2nd reservoir, washer fluid being transferred slowly to 2nd hence if have emptied both, might take longer to fill up both? ie you might need to refill again sometime later when it's transferred to the next? I might be wrong.

http://www.350z-uk.c...e-front-bumper/ - OP only has one, post no2 has 2.

Can sorta see them without taking the bumper off.

All Z33's with headlight washers have 2 tanks (so only pre-facelift DEs and JDM have 1).

It's dark now, so I'll check on it tomorrow, but I'm assuming that yes, it's not going across into the 2nd tank - whether this is due to an air bubble, blockage, or something else, I don't know.

The 2nd tank (the one that is filled indirectly via the first tank) was the first to drain, and then most of the first tank followed, so I don't think there is a blockage or the first tank wouldn't have drained through.

http://www.350z-uk.c...e-front-bumper/ - OP only has one, post no2 has 2.

Can sorta see them without taking the bumper off.

All Z33's with headlight washers have 2 tanks (so only pre-facelift DEs and JDM have 1).

It's dark now, so I'll check on it tomorrow, but I'm assuming that yes, it's not going across into the 2nd tank - whether this is due to an air bubble, blockage, or something else, I don't know.

The 2nd tank (the one that is filled indirectly via the first tank) was the first to drain, and then most of the first tank followed, so I don't think there is a blockage or the first tank wouldn't have drained through.

Pre facelift have 2, only some JDM will have a single :)

• Like 2

Easy, just put a switch in the line.

Ekona, I have been looking at doing this after my MOT have you done this? Got any suggestions as to where is best to tap into?

Anywhere in the cabin, Or just go straight to the source, near the pumps and put in a decent covered water proof switch/another fuse. Am I right in remembering that The fuse for washers is in the battery compartment fuse box?

• 1 month later...

So a month later, topping it up every week or so, I've finally managed to get back in what I drained out (minus about 2 pints or so that I spilt or threw away)...

Had the bumper off, so checked the levels, both tanks seem reasonably full, but not completely, and the fill port itself is practically overflowing.

I'm guessing that before I drained it, both tanks were fully-full, and now for whatever reason they are refusing to fill up that last bit...

vcbk4Jy.jpg

lmWASYc.jpg

Edited by Strudul