350z Exhaust choices and HFC questions

reeceybeaney

Sure this has been spoken about before on previous occasions... however I wanted people's up to date opinions and choices.

What exhaust systems are everyone using and what sort of noise would you describe in terms of raspiness, loudness and how refined/quiet they can be?

I've got a cobra resonated cat back exhaust and a Japspeed Y Pipe. However I'm looking for a bit more noise which I'd hope to get from sports cats (HFCs). Hoping for some advice and people's choices and opinions!

Seen these Japspeed HFCs at what seems like a good price compared to the much loved berks etc: https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-350z-sports-cat-downpipes.html

Anyone had any experience with these?

Merry Christmas fellow 350z owners!

I've got an Invidia Gemini with stock cats. It's similar in volume to the stock, just a nicer sound. With decats the Gemini is much louder, probably in the region you're looking for, they make all the difference.

Was thinking about decats, but was worried come MOT time, I have access to a ramp but unsure on how straightforward it is swapping over to stock cats every year?

At risk of this being a pointless comment I shall add this:

I currently have Standard cats with full Nismo catback including Nismo Y Pipe. This setup gives a really deep sporty note without being too antisocial on idle and light throttle but as soon as you put your foot down it is loud as anything but a really nice deep grunty kinda noise with little to no rasp. Burps ever so slightly on overrun too which I like. On WOT through a tunnel your head will pound when you come out the other end if your window is down. Sounds great :) Not too much drone on the motorway but then droney exhausts have never really bothered me anyway.

Now I say this is at risk of being pointless because the Nismo system is no longer available for the 350Z. You may come across a 2nd hand one but A - They are like rocking horse poo so youll be waiting a while and B - It wont be cheap even 2nd hand.

Edited by Erni902

I currently have Standard cats with full Nismo catback including Nismo Y Pipe. This setup gives a really deep sporty note without being too antisocial on idle and light throttle but as soon as you put your foot down it is loud as anything but a really nice deep grunty kinda noise with little to no rasp. Burps ever so slightly on overrun too which I like. On WOT through a tunnel your head will pound when you come out the other end if your window is down. Sounds great :) Not too much drone on the motorway but then droney exhausts have never really bothered me anyway.

Now I say this is at risk of being pointless because the Nismo system is no longer available for the 350Z. You may come across a 2nd hand one but A - They are like rocking horse poo so youll be waiting a while and B - It wont be cheap even 2nd hand.

I found the Nismo S-Tune Exhaust on the 380 to be very, very quiet - hence why I gave Chris at Tarmac a big dollop of my hard earned lootz this year for a set of HFC's. Hopefully they make a difference.

I found the Nismo S-Tune Exhaust on the 380 to be very, very quiet - hence why I gave Chris at Tarmac a big dollop of my hard earned lootz this year for a set of HFC's. Hopefully they make a difference.

Was it 100% the S Tune? I think I remember there being some other JDM Nismo that's very quiet compared to the S Tune here and the US.

Similar to OP if not the same as both are Chinese made.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-200CPI-SPORTS-CAT-EXHAUST-DOWNPIPES-FOR-NISSAN-350Z-Z33-03-09-/361670503009?nav=SEARCH

I have the toyosport exhaust system including Y pipe, very similar to the Japspeed K2 but in some ways a revised version I've recently found out. To me it's a nice OE+ sports sound, sort of like a Nissan/Autech option - deep with no interior drone.

My sound clip

And how it sound under load and WOT on track

• Like 1

I'd go for the berk HFCs mate. I've got them combined with stillen y pipe and cobra resonated backbox and it sounds awesome. Passed MOT every time too :thumbs:

A lot of people use the Berks HFC so they must be good I guess! Do you know how much louder the hfc made the system or did you do it all at the same time? And what was installation like?

Thanks for the posts!

I'd go for the berk HFCs mate. I've got them combined with stillen y pipe and cobra resonated backbox and it sounds awesome. Passed MOT every time too :thumbs:

A lot of people use the Berks HFC so they must be good I guess! Do you know how much louder the hfc made the system or did you do it all at the same time? And what was installation like?

Thanks for the posts!

I got them added later and they make a nice difference to the sound. Makes it a bit more louder, slight droney around 2k rpm, but other than that no issues. Perfect when cruising on the motorway, and opens up when you put your foot down B) installation was done by Ross at Japex and didn't take him too long, but easier as he had access to his ramp. Defo worth the money :thumbs:

Thanks for the posts!

I got them added later and they make a nice difference to the sound. Makes it a bit more louder, slight droney around 2k rpm, but other than that no issues. Perfect when cruising on the motorway, and opens up when you put your foot down B) installation was done by Ross at Japex and didn't take him too long, but easier as he had access to his ramp. Defo worth the money :thumbs:

Well I have got access to a ramp so might be able to do it myself with a bit of help! The exhaust is a bit droney now to be honest, but the extra V6 roar will defo be worth it in my opinion. Just wanted to hear from someone to see if the hfc's are worth it! Good to see it passes MOT

I'm running the Motordyne TDX2 exhaust with ART pipes. It is a loud system, and above 3500-4000rpm VERY loud. But with the ART pipes there is literally zero rasp, sounds absolutely incredible! Only bad thing is that (like most exhaust systems) cameras cannot pick the sound up very well. If you live near any of the members it's definitely worth listening to them in the flesh.

Hey Connor, I too was running a Motordyne TDX 2 with ART pipes. I put the ART pipes on after I had my engine built and Vortech installed. Since I don't have a comparison besides stock I couldn't really tell if it was too loud or not. In a way, I just got used to it...until....I went to Germany. I spent alot of time on the German Autobahns when I was working there push the 150+ mph range on a daily basis. After going back with a built engine, vortech, and full MD exhaust, the experience wasn't as pleasant. Exhaust was extremely loud, that even people at rest stops were looking at me flying down the autobahn. With a modded vehicle was afraid to keep it above 140mph to be honest. Anyway, that is another post it itself. Agreeing with Connor, the MD exhaust has a very unique sound a bit like an exotic. Cruising speeds are pleasant and droning is cancelled out. Above 3500 it becomes a monster though. Without a supercharger, I was probably pushing the limits on the loudness of the exhaust anyway.

Hey Connor, I too was running a Motordyne TDX 2 with ART pipes. I put the ART pipes on after I had my engine built and Vortech installed. Since I don't have a comparison besides stock I couldn't really tell if it was too loud or not. In a way, I just got used to it...until....I went to Germany. I spent alot of time on the German Autobahns when I was working there push the 150+ mph range on a daily basis. After going back with a built engine, vortech, and full MD exhaust, the experience wasn't as pleasant. Exhaust was extremely loud, that even people at rest stops were looking at me flying down the autobahn. With a modded vehicle was afraid to keep it above 140mph to be honest. Anyway, that is another post it itself. Agreeing with Connor, the MD exhaust has a very unique sound a bit like an exotic. Cruising speeds are pleasant and droning is cancelled out. Above 3500 it becomes a monster though. Without a supercharger, I was probably pushing the limits on the loudness of the exhaust anyway.

Morning Hiro, as I was reading that I was trying to imagine how ludicrously loud that must have been, but also how awesome it must have sounded at 150 with the supercharger :lol: It's funny, because even though you know full well it barks above 3500, in your mind you don't think it will bark as loud once you're in 6th gear at that RPM, but it obviously does.

I can totally understand that if you are doing anything above 110-120mph (around about when she starts to shout in 6th if I remember?) on a daily basis for a prolonged amount of time, some may call it borderline antisocial, as blasting past someone at 150 on the Autobahn probably created a few clenched arses! :lol: Shame you haven't got any fly-by videos though! ;-)

Previously ran a cobra non-res on the old car, lovely sound. It drones a bit on throttle up a hill.. but never enough to really bother me. My Hondas before had been fully stripped and deathly loud (Spoon N1 or Buddyclub Spec 2...)

This one currently has a scorpion fitted, actually sounds a lot nicer than I expected, more of a tinny sound than the Cobra, a lot quieter. Light throttle inside you wouldn't even know it was there.

Cobra Non-res & ART decats to fit however... not yet seen this combo! Trying to keep the tone of the Cobra but give it the kick I like! It might be awful and drone like hell!

Previously ran a cobra non-res on the old car, lovely sound. It drones a bit on throttle up a hill.. but never enough to really bother me. My Hondas before had been fully stripped and deathly loud (Spoon N1 or Buddyclub Spec 2...)

This one currently has a scorpion fitted, actually sounds a lot nicer than I expected, more of a tinny sound than the Cobra, a lot quieter. Light throttle inside you wouldn't even know it was there.

Cobra Non-res & ART decats to fit however... not yet seen this combo! Trying to keep the tone of the Cobra but give it the kick I like! It might be awful and drone like hell!

Let me know how that goes as I'm looking to decat/hfc my cobra resonated exhaust, love the sound of the cobra but even the resonated one drones around 2k rpm!

Plenum Spacer and Decat/HFC then UpRev for me:D

• 5 months later...