New driving phenomena

TT350

I don't know if anyone else has noticed an increase in this driving behaviour where a person in front of you slows down and indicates left to signify stopping or parking by the side of the road....and the SOB behind you is already overtaking YOU and them forcing you to abort moving past the person who was pulling over even though you were indicating right and had room to manoeuvre, thus opening the floodgates for the cars behind the person that overtook you to follow suit, leaving you sat there indicating right for an aeon and no one will let you go.

If I (or you) weren't as aware and observant of our surroundings then a crash would surely happen.

This keeps happening to me a lot lately and it's not because I dither. I'm as opportunistic as is safe to be.

Rant: end.

You sure on your positioning?

If you immediately indicate right and position yourself far right, there can be no question that you are intending to overtake. Depending on the circumstances, you shouldn't even have to brake, just go right round them.

Unless the cars behind you are going significantly faster than you, there's no way they can overtake before you unless you slow down and let them. Considering you've got a 3.5L V6, chances are they can't outpace you.

• Like 1

Exactly. You're giving the wrong signal to following cars if they think they can just get round you as you must be stopping too, and then by the time you've got your indicator on it's too late.

Stay closer to the dividing line, and indicate much earlier.

No. I don't slow down. I maintain most of my speed and generally give enough time to indicate to the person behind that I'm going to pull out a little to avoid the car in front of me. But lately people are reading the road ahead of me and being aggressively opportunistic.

It's no good pulling out and then indicating. For all concerned you need to indicate first. If you just pull out the person behind you had to react quicker to avoid driving into the back of the car that's stopped.

Bear in mind this is in 5pm traffic in the dark.

I indicate as soon as the person in front of me indicates they're pulling over so there can be no confusion as to what I'm intending to do and why.

They're just being aggressive.

They literally overtake me as soon as I indicate right. Also, they're right up my backside whenever this happens.

Edited by TT350

Well, as I say, the only way they're managing to overtake you is if you let them. I'm willing to bet that 9/10 cars that overtake you are slower than a Z. Obviously don't do anything dangerous, but as long as it's safe to do so, just put your foot down and overtake. If you're going faster than the car behind, they can't crash into you.

If you're getting tailgated to a point where it's unsafe, just slow down until they back off or you reach a speed which is suitable for the gap they are leaving. (So if they wanna leave a 1m gap, you slow down to 5 mph.) Again, obviously don't make a dangerous situation more dangerous. If there's multiple lanes, then just switch until they bugger off.

Edited by Strudul

I pulled over to the left, indicating, for an Ambluance using 'blues and twos' the other day, in a 30 zone. It passed, immediately followed by a speeding hatchback who then turned left into the side street immediately in front of me nearly taking my nose off!! :rant: Freakin' retard :angry: Driving standards these days are atrocious :(

I pulled over to the left, indicating, for an Ambluance using 'blues and twos' the other day, in a 30 zone. It passed, immediately followed by a speeding hatchback who then turned left into the side street immediately in front of me nearly taking my nose off!! :rant: Freakin' retard :angry: Driving standards these days are atrocious :(

I had a similar incident a while ago:

I'm driving on an A road and look in my rear view mirror to see an Ambulance approaching quickly (lights on & siren on/off periodically), so I indicate left & pull up on the verge.

The car behind me then slows, blasts their horn at me and gives me a stinking look while pulling out around my car almost forcing the approaching Ambulance into on coming traffic. I think the driver thought I was just pulling over in a stupid place to use my phone or something but how can you miss a bl**dy big Ambulance with blues & twos on?! :shrug:

Lot's of idiots on the road so you definitely have to keep your wits about you all the time.

I had a similar incident a while ago:

I'm driving on an A road and look in my rear view mirror to see an Ambulance approaching quickly (lights on & siren on/off periodically), so I indicate left & pull up on the verge.

The car behind me then slows, blasts their horn at me and gives me a stinking look while pulling out around my car almost forcing the approaching Ambulance into on coming traffic. I think the driver thought I was just pulling over in a stupid place to use my phone or something but how can you miss a bl**dy big Ambulance with blues & twos on?! :shrug:

Lot's of idiots on the road so you definitely have to keep your wits about you all the time.

General question - would hazards be more appropriate than indicators?

Doesn't give as much indication of your intentions, but your hazards are there to alert others of a hazard, which arguably is the case.

Its not just driving standards, its everybody, even on foot they are just plain ignorant...no manners, push and shove their way through.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that people of the female variety seem to be worse for this. Men seem to be more willing to let me pass or hold a door for me and give thanks / the nod for when i return the favour. Women on the other hand just seem to barge through and don't even acknowledge my presence. :(

However, back to cars, I always give a wave, regardless of who let who through, but nobody has waved back for a few weeks now. :(

Doesn't give as much indication of your intentions, but your hazards are there to alert others of a hazard, which arguably is the case.

The Highway Code says:

“Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.â€

So as I was moving then indicating to indicate my intention of pulling over was the correct thing to do. ;)

If you don't look in your mirrors or use your other senses like hearing to be aware of upcoming emergency vehicles then you (that guy) really are a danger on the road. Not hearing the Ambulance though may have been down to him having headphones on for all I know.

Another annoying and dangerous thing some people do nowadays. :angry::dry:

• Like 1

The Highway Code says:

“Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.â€

So as I was moving then indicating to indicate my intention of pulling over was the correct thing to do. ;)

If you don't look in your mirrors or use your other senses like hearing to be aware of upcoming emergency vehicles then you (that guy) really are a danger on the road. Not hearing the Ambulance though may have been down to him having headphones on for all I know.

Another annoying and dangerous thing some people do nowadays. :angry::dry:

Ah, good to know :thumbs:

Hard to miss the blue flashing in the mirrors though. Usually notice that before the siren. Probably on his phone rather than paying attention though.

Edited by Strudul