custom d.i.y single turbo build? whos done it??

LDUNKZ18

basically as the title says. expecting a bit of stick for posting this no doubt cause yes the info is probably on here already but on page 1000000000.. but oh well.

Been looking at kits but being in america they are pricey and the import tax will no doubt be sky high...

so has anyone done a single turbo build, standard internals, uprated fuel pump injectors etc and custom made pipework. external or internal wastegate ( obvs this can depend on which turbos you use).

If i do this i would be happy to get around 380whp so over 400 at the flywheel but preferably without having to do any bottom end work. i can probably push more from a single turbo and still have it safe but this is why i'm asking as im hoping people who have done this can help me with advice.

What i dont want is people saying why don't u supercharge it why not twin turbo it.. this isnt a thread of whats better single twin or s/c

i'm only interested in doing single turbo.

Are some of the cheaper kits in america worth buying like turbonetics?

• Like 1

Turbonetics have improved, they were getting very popular on uk rx7's when I got out of mine. Be careful of fitment issues associated with being designed to fit lhd vehicles.

I seem to remember jdmdistro having a single turbo kit for sale, may be worth checking if they still have it.

As for one where the air box sits, probably a reason why it isnt a popular place etc

• Like 1

basically as the title says. expecting a bit of stick for posting this no doubt cause yes the info is probably on here already but on page 1000000000.. but oh well.

Been looking at kits but being in america they are pricey and the import tax will no doubt be sky high...

so has anyone done a single turbo build, standard internals, uprated fuel pump injectors etc and custom made pipework. external or internal wastegate ( obvs this can depend on which turbos you use).

If i do this i would be happy to get around 380whp so over 400 at the flywheel but preferably without having to do any bottom end work. i can probably push more from a single turbo and still have it safe but this is why i'm asking as im hoping people who have done this can help me with advice.

What i dont want is people saying why don't u supercharge it why not twin turbo it.. this isnt a thread of whats better single twin or s/c

i'm only interested in doing single turbo.

Are some of the cheaper kits in america worth buying like turbonetics?

As has already been said front mount kits are pretty much all for the lhd cars so even after the import duty you will be looking at pipework mods at least pretty high engine bay temps and I don't hold out much hope for the paint work on the bonnet directly above i.t

I have seen a mid-mount setup but don't know if it's available commercially I did a mid-mount setup on a capri many years ago and it was like having underfloor heating :blush: unbearable in the summer not practical in my opinion.

A rear-mount setup is Diy-able and pretty cheap there was someone selling an STS setup not too long ago on here

At the end of the day turbocharging is not going to be a few hundred Quid but it is the cheapest way to decent power inreases

Most american ones run at the front. Paintwork shouldnt melt ive seen loads of custom turbo builds where turbo is close to the bonnet and owners haven't had issues with the heat affecting paint. It would be a custom build so custom pipe work so the whole lhd rhd thing isnt an issue as id work around that.

Not 100% sure hence why im asking

First off your going to run into major problems trying to run a single turbo on a V motor, you cant just run a turbo on one side, therefore if your intending to try and run one off both manifolds the only sensible way is to run it rear mount.

7k 8 at a push if im half way through and i need more bits etc always something that will bump price up. i know welders and fabricators which can be done at mates rates and helps being a spray painter as can always offer favour for a favour jobs.. if its gonna cost more than 8k id be aswell selling and buying an evo/scoobie/r33gtr

Sensible budget :) but will be a troublesome journey imho and thats just for the pipework knowing how tight a fit std manifolds are, but sounds like its one you want to tread so go for it, its obviously not rocket science but way beyond my skill set, good luck and look forward to the outcome.

well you get single turbos for v motors ricky so they must work. look at the soho single turbo kit. i'd manage everything bar the welding and tuning

Yes you can run a single turbo on a V motor, but what i am saying is not just on one bank, and with the positioning your proposing it would not only be impractical, its would cause a lot of heat issues from the extended pipework required, which is why i said that a rear mount was the only sensible option.

7k 8 at a push if im half way through and i need more bits etc always something that will bump price up. i know welders and fabricators which can be done at mates rates and helps being a spray painter as can always offer favour for a favour jobs.. if its gonna cost more than 8k id be aswell selling and buying an evo/scoobie/r33gtr

Could very well end up costing you more than £8K easily if you were to need upgrade clutch/flywheel, better brakes (if you're still on all OEM), boost/oil pressure gauge/s etc as well or if any other unforeseen problems occurred like for example if you need new cam covers/gaskets + fitting if they were found to be leaking oil.

Bit strange to say though that you might as well buy an Evo/Scoobie/R33GTR if it's going to cost more than £8K though as they're all totally different to a RWD Zed with them all being 4WD turbo'd cars.

I mean if all you want is a faster car then yes you're better off just selling the Zed but if you want a faster Zed then you're going to have to commit to it.

My supercharged Zed ended up costing me about £1500 more than I had budgeted for but it was worth it in the end for the way the car drove with the power it had.

Did you see this STS kit that another member has & was asking what it's worth?

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...-sts-turbo-kit/

Maybe he'd sell it to you if it's what you're looking at. Just an idea.

I spoke to the guy with the sts kit

. He failed to mention its in estonia and needs shipped over.hmmm not for me. Theres loads of single turbo builds in america done on the v6 and loads of v6 turbo's. Im actually signed up to my350z forum because they seem to have more info on custom builds.

I did a custom twin turbo build on mine a year or so ago, was based on the sts kit and well let's just say I won't be doing another one! Ha

Lots of late nights after work, problem after problem making something then, something else doesn't fit etc constantly harassing people on here for advice.

I also called in a lot of favours off friends but I did build it from scratch custom manifolds, downpipes, water & oil lines etc

The end result was worth it but there is a reason the labour rates on these are so much!

But I hope you factor all that in and if you go ahead the build is awesome ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go fella

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REV9-T3-60-1-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT-COMPLETE-BOLT-ON-FOR-Nissan-03-06-350Z-Z33-/142046487794?hash=item2112a164f2:g:rysAAOSwXeJXfDbo

you will almost definitely have to modify this pipework to get around the steering change the turbo as it's probably a Chinese knock off (Ok on a rear mount as it has a much easier life) bigger injectors,fuel return system and whatever tuning option you go for

:)

• Like 1

Was thinking of that kind of kit andy just for pipework but at that sort of price how good is the pipework. Turbo would be crap. The chinese knock offs arent all bad actually seen them on vxrs and impressive for 300 buck! I would be going precision turbo or a borg warner

Was thinking of that kind of kit andy just for pipework but at that sort of price how good is the pipework. Turbo would be crap. The chinese knock offs arent all bad actually seen them on vxrs and impressive for 300 buck! I would be going precision turbo or a borg warner

Seems do-able for your budget even allowing for all the other unrelated mods you need clutch/flywheel uprated discs/pads, oil cooler and all of the other stuff you don't allow for that costs more than you think

:)

Looking forward to see what you decide to do.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need any help and for parts turbos etc gimme a shout as my mate can source parts pretty cheap if need be.

Not to mention he's a mechanic working on a lot of drift/race cars and has a finger in lots of pies so machining etc is easy done as well as knowledge.

• Like 1