custom d.i.y single turbo build? whos done it??

LDUNKZ18

No big issue with mid mount kits. Buddy has a 800 bhp mid mount kit. Custom made piping. All works well and fully functional. Original was normal turbine later on went to twin scroll turbine.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Not 100% sure hence why im asking

First off your going to run into major problems trying to run a single turbo on a V motor, you cant just run a turbo on one side, therefore if your intending to try and run one off both manifolds the only sensible way is to run it rear mount.

And i reckon twin scroll is not an option?

1ced8343dc5ab783d3e3c55cfa1e0e04.jpgd9c5e528b7f301265f46b80f49f4c5d3.jpg

Or single

7a7334c1206372823bfc3db7c15b463f.jpg

Edited by Snjur
  • Like 1

Yeah i would consider mid mount kits too though but prefer front mount. The yanks have them done so must be a way of routing pipework

It can be done but you need to consider heat effect under thr bonnet. Vq35de is by itself producing a lot of heat so imagine turbine and pipes under bonnet

I'm surprised how many people worry about heat on front mounted turbos... it would be positioned where the airbox is so loads of air would be getting to it and not only that but supras, skylines and loads more of cars have turbos close to bonnet and close to the front of the engine.. all work fine. the issue with mid mounted is that the roads in scotland are crap and clarted with salt.. surely this isnt going to do the turbos any good over time?

Its not the fact of a turbo being close to the bonnet, its the amount and route of the exhaust to turbo pipework that would push up local under bonnet engine temps, another thing to consider with both mid and rear mounted turbos, is the oil return, it can be problematical due to the turbo being lower or same level than the sump.

Plus airbox location is not much exposed to air. I have a twin turbo and turbines are way back of a engine but still amount of heat that is produced and is traped under bonnnet is huge

I am in the process of building my own single turbo kit. Basically going to be copying the soho Motorsport design regarding pipe work etc. have been quoted for the fabrication of the boost and exhaust pipework at a price of 2.5k that's all made from 316 stainless steel and includes a catback single exit exhaust system. Screamer pipes; all the piping required.

As it stands I have a precision 6266 gen2 billet wheel dual ball bearing tutbo, 1000cc ID injectors, greddy sump, CJM stage 0 fuel return, uprev maf, tial BOV, precision 44mm wastegate, one stage colder plugs, twin plate OS giken clutch, Mishimoto radiator and fans, treadstone intercooler, braided oil feed and return.

Some parts have been fitted already others are waiting to be fitted. I want to get the car to the stage where its 100% ready for the fabrication guy to crack on. Hoping for it to be completed early next year and aiming for around 420bhp on 6-7psi of boost.

• Like 1

I am in the process of building my own single turbo kit. Basically going to be copying the soho Motorsport design regarding pipe work etc. have been quoted for the fabrication of the boost and exhaust pipework at a price of 2.5k that's all made from 316 stainless steel and includes a catback single exit exhaust system. Screamer pipes; all the piping required.

As it stands I have a precision 6266 gen2 billet wheel dual ball bearing tutbo, 1000cc ID injectors, greddy sump, CJM stage 0 fuel return, uprev maf, tial BOV, precision 44mm wastegate, one stage colder plugs, twin plate OS giken clutch, Mishimoto radiator and fans, treadstone intercooler, braided oil feed and return.

Some parts have been fitted already others are waiting to be fitted. I want to get the car to the stage where its 100% ready for the fabrication guy to crack on. Hoping for it to be completed early next year and aiming for around 420bhp on 6-7psi of boost.

Friendly advice for screamer pipes, avoid them! They are cool first few runs. But later on just PITA. They sound bit better from outside of the car but inside is disaster. A buddy who has this mid mount is going to make a small muffler for them, and me as well I'm going to divert them into exhaust.

Snjur, the wastegate pipe will be routed back in to the exhaust downpipe. When I mentioned screamer pipe I meant the wastegate outlet pipe. As you say screamers are all well good but I personally prefer the more subtle side of things. :)

Yes on my TT kit I will reroute them into downpipes. I have custom made exhaust system of Invidia Gemini. 3" pipes so I think there will be no downgrade in performance.

And buddy with this mid mount kit is planning to move them in separate muffler.

They are just to loud. It was cool in beginning plus outside of the car the noise is even OK but inside the sound is so resonated I don't know how to explain. And start getting on nervs after a while. Specially if you like to hear engine, muffler and all and than once they (screamers) open they spoil all