Sargara's Silver 350z DE

Sargara

I decided it's probably about time to make my own topic now, after all I've owned the car for almost 2yrs now but never really felt I'd done enough to justify it or quick enough for that matter! So what follows will be abit of a re-cap of the past year+ to get up to speed with things :)

uS2mJp.jpg

I bought the car from Junction17 (... I know!) and it was a completely standard GT with 32k on the clock. The first thing I did was eBay a set of Ray alloys as it needed new rubber all around so it was the perfect time for man maths!

Rays on with new rubber:

9yEj01.jpg

The standard aerial above didn't last long either. That was next on the hit-list:

315CmO.jpg

All fitted:

Co86si.jpg

Next up was cleaning up the appearance. A clean set of (dealer unbranded) number plates and some Plasti-dip for the bumper: (excuse the flash)

9mZEjY.jpg

It was my first attempt at Plasti-Dip and I'm happy with the result:

5BCg4W.jpg

The next cosmetic mod to be done was to address the wheels so some spacers were ordered and fitted during a brake refresh:

a45jol.jpg

And fitting shortly after some (slightly rusty....) BlackDiamonds discs:

CEGwZf.jpg

That was it for cosmetics and my attention then shifted to the performance side of things and my most expensive mod to date was ordered:

80MUfq.jpg

This was fitted to compliment a plenum spacer, velocity stack airbox mod and panel filter. My friend who also has a 350z had booked us both in for a remap at Horsham and I wanted to make sure everything was in place ready.

On the day:

oJ8FyQ.jpg

My mates:

7wLxJN.jpg

And the result from all that? Pretty chuffed!

0cckze.jpg

With that out of the way I decided to tidy up the interior, an aftermarket gearknob and a Royal Steering retrim were fitted.

Before:

5ktSdd.jpg

After:

YMlvZL.jpg

Which almost brings me up-to-date with where my car is currently, the last area of attention which has been the lights. I sourced a (2nd hand via the forums) pair of rear LEDs fairly easily which were probably the easiest modification to fit:

ZEQc1f.jpg

And fitted along with a fog-light clear out:

nxew0o.jpg

So that brings me up to where the car is currently essentially. This is just the bits I grabbed pics of along the way and doesnt cover the boring/routine stuff like:

- Banana Arms

- Oil sump leak (twice)

- P1 Service + all fluids + sparks

- Window Motor

etc that have all eaten into my zeditus budget along the way :dry:

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 3

Hi Si8pny, yes its already in progress actually which is sort of the motivation for creating this topic.

dCasfG.jpg

7lDP56.jpg

I'll post full details up soon when they are fitted. And getting some decent pictures of the car is also on the to-do list!

Beautiful, also its grey not silver B) 286bhp prior to remap, wow these engine do respond decent to breather mods!!

Any more plans?

David

Its registered with the DVLA as Silver, that's good enough for me :lol:

The headlights posted above are the current plans, then maybe a Tarmac lip if I need more black to balance them out. In an ideal world, I'd like a set of 18 Varrstoen ES222 but I cant justify the price with perfectly good rubber still on the Rays currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on fitting your depo light's bud? interested in getting a set myself just wanted your opinion on fitting

Yeah had them fitted at the weekend and adjusted as best they could to compensate for the LHD beam pattern, however I noticed I'm getting condensation/vapour due to the cold currently so there's still work to be done. Quick phone pics to show you what i mean:

NFab0k.jpg

X70RGj.jpg

Pk4K6l.jpg

Everything works as it should plug and play, the fitment isn't quite as good as OEM but "fine" and the side/side adjustment wheel has compensated for their throw being LHD. The light output (beam pattern and amount) is definitely an upgrade over my pre-face-lift OEM lights. The only observation is their construction isn't as sturdy as OEM, they feel more flimsy/flexible if you know what i mean? (but you get what you pay for at the end of the day).

I wanted to modify the cutoff shield by removing the bulb housing for access but I couldn't undo the 2 bolts pictured in the end:

3OH8kj.jpg

You can see the shield if you look through the bulb opening:

XI8BTJ.jpg

I've got a night-time picture of the OEM light output and when I get chance I'll take another with these fitted, its just so damn cold and miserable at the moment in the evenings I cant be bothered :lol:

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 2

They look spot on mate bar the condensation. I'm sure you'll get them sorted, easy fit? or did you get someone to fit them.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping too, headlight condensation seems a common issue if google results are anything to go by ranging from trapped moisture when fitted, to lack of ventilation, to damaged seals requiring silicone. Either that or I wait for the weather to change and the problem goes away on its own in hotter weather.

I had them fitted by CougarStore in the end as i wanted the beam alignment done properly, the install is straight forward:

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get another look at them today and narrow the condensation issue down to what the root cause is. It appears that the rubber seal on the back of the cap to access the bulbs is either too large or too poor quality and is deforming with heat, you can see the play in it below:

NnWx26.jpg

No permanent solution yet as I was hoping it was just a case of "oh they weren't fastened correctly the first time". So its worth baring this in mind if you take the plunge like i did but other than that I cant fault them for the price I paid (£380). In regards to the light output:

OEM:

PgtOI5.jpg

DEPO:

sCbNdV.jpg

(Different bulbs as they aren't interchangeable and different days hence the lighting/colour. Both are 4300k Phillips).

Edited by Sargara

When you have time, do you mind posting a pic of the light output against a wall? Maybe from 10-20 meters away?

No rush at all, just curious to see the light output in more detail.

Also good to see you managed to find one of the possible causes of the condensation. I did a quick search just now and some people said it's worth checking the ballast has been seated properly as well. Oh and someone else suggested plonking some silica gel packs in there.

Anyhow hope you get the condensation sorted! I've recently installed my aftermarket headlights (that I further modded) and it's suffering from condensation as well.

• Like 1

When you have time, do you mind posting a pic of the light output against a wall? Maybe from 10-20 meters away?

No rush at all, just curious to see the light output in more detail.

Here you go mate, hope this is what you meant (about a cars length away) let me know if not:

f6wEYE.jpg

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post, but a bit further away (3-4 car length?) and against a single colour surface would be awesome! Sorry, being a pain! As I say, no rush at all as I'm just being nosey!!! :)

From what I can see, the output looks pretty wide though! :thumbs:

Is it just me though, or could it do with aiming a bit more to the left though?

• 1 month later...

Looking good mate, did you manage to adjust the beam far enough to suit RHD cars?

I've seen some OEM ones for sale in the States and was wondering if anyone knew if they're adjustable also??

Adjusted at point of fitment yeah. You can see the light cutoff in the above picture is flat so it doesn't kick-up at the sides and is easy to avoid glare/dazzling in that respect.

No idea about OEM's sorry, I suspect you'll have to take a punt and find out. My pre-facelift OEM's had a kick to the light pattern though, worth baring in mind that even if you can adjust them they might not be as flat as the above DEPO image.

Edited by Sargara

Might as well add todays effort seeing how I already bumped the topic replying to STYLZ. Wasted a bit of time trying to de-salt the car this afternoon. The condensation issue has practically disappeared too with the milder weather we are getting,

P5gMhJ.jpg