370Z Nismo

Stevenjonbrooks

Absolutely. You'd be mad not to. You'll liberate additional BHP by removing the stock cats and using resonated or High-flow versions instead but it will make the exhaust much louder, with possible rasp or drone (but I love it tbh)

I went for a Cobra which fits the Nismo rear diffuser better than anything else IMHO. Slash tips too. The Ark looks a bit aftermarket but has a following here.

I'd experiment with the Cobra first and then install high flow cats at a later date if you want more decibels and power.

• Like 2

I've got the ARK grip on my Nismo Mk2, it sounds awesome and it does look good! Although I had to get an exhaust fabricator to sort the alignment issue as the exhaust sat to low and the tips did not align as they should do. In hindsight I probably would have got a custom system built as it would have been less hassle and cheaper. The cobra and stillen are good fitments on the mk1 but I've seen the stillen on a mk2 and the alignment was way off I can't speak for the cobra. The ARK sounds awesome but just be aware of the fitment issue. I was going to put HFC's on the car but I feel it would make it way too loud for my liking!

• Like 3

Interesting, my Ark went straight on with a perfect fit. This was after Ark themselves said it would not fit a Roadster without dropping the W Brace.... not true as several Roadster owners have them now.

See no reason why it would be different on Nismo?

• Like 1

I'm not sure how they fitted the stillen but both tips were pointing towards the right and not centred in the exhaust shrouds, I'm sure a bit of fettlling would sort it though. You've got to expect doing adjustments to the exhaust with the Nismo's having different rear bumpers.

Edited by Scooby67
  • Like 1

Interesting. The issue for me was the bracket for the third hanger on the exhaust. It sits lower on the underside of the Nismo and stops the Stillen exhaust lining up properly. The solution was to simply remove the bracket and reposition it at the right height.

Check out Long Life custom exhausts..had mine fitted on 370 GT in Cardiff(nationwide fitting) Prices are excellent,fitting too & as loud as you choose. Mine is loud through the whole rev range...or embarrassing as my missus describes the noise!! Justhejedi,also a member on here has just had system fitted & is well impressed.

Check out Long Life custom exhausts..had mine fitted on 370 GT in Cardiff(nationwide fitting) Prices are excellent,fitting too & as loud as you choose. Mine is loud through the whole rev range...or embarrassing as my missus describes the noise!! Justhejedi,also a member on here has just had system fitted & is well impressed.

Yes Yes!....love my Longlife exhaust, custom made and will make it to your specification.

• 2 weeks later...

if only there were sound clips of each make .... life would be so much simpler ....

I've got berk hfc and a invida system with 5"aam tips on mine sounds and looks great. welcome to pop round and have a listen of your ever around surrey !

• 4 weeks later...

I don't yet have a Z but have some experience with custom exhausts on K20 engines, civic type Rs. I currently have a Supercharged civic type R which uses a decat manifold but with a very quiet custom cat back. People mentioned longlife which I have used but it's dependent on the ability and experience of whoever runs your local branch. These days I use Alan @ solid fabrications who is a skilled professional welder not limited to just exhausts but he'll weld manifolds, turbos and stuff that your typical power flow or longlife guy will likely find is beyond their ability. He's very very good. My FN2 2.5" cat back cost £550 but a 370z system would cost more if it's longer and more complex. I've been recommended this Ark Grip too and it sounds great, but if it costs over £1000 then I could get a replica designed for less. In my experience with type R exhausts I learned that achieving a desirable exhaust note is not as complicated as people think. Tubing thickness, grade of stainless or mild steel and packing material can affect the sound but generally in straight through style cat backs the only factor is the number and size of the silencer boxes. Or really the total volume of them. Most of the time there's little else influencing the noise that comes out the end. More, bigger silencers equals quieter reducing all frequencies so with very little silencing the high frequency rasp is apparent. it's getting the balance that creates a desirable sound, somewhat subjectively. Also I would guess that most, if not all cat backs in the UK are designed to work with the stock cat, not a decat or high flow cat if this removes any silencing. There might be US systems, I don't know about the 370Zs at all I'm just learning. More than likely you could replicate this Ark Grip exhaust, put the same size and number of boxes on it and it should sound the same. He can use polished boxes if you Iike! There may be a slight variation as the different materials used resonate slightly differently but it may not be noticable.

I'll do more research first but if it's as simple as I imagine I may get a custom system designed to replicate the Ark Grip at least to get sound level correct. Then I'll get a custom rolled and burned tips welded on the ends because I really prefer that, and I'd have the tips sticking out a few inches. I noticed most of the cat backs I've seen don't do that but I think it would look awesome! So I've got a question, first of all do these aftermarket high flow cats have any resonator/silencer? Or is it simply a 200 cell core within a pipe which would be as loud as a decat pipe.

Secondly, K20 engines respond well to single exit 3.0" exhausts even on NA setups. Is this not the case with Zs? Or are the exhausts a dual/twin system throughout? Here's a rolled tip I'd like at the end of my custom exhaust. I think GReddy used to make a Z version. 🙂😎

87c9ea5dcf7ad10f7e634cd0d1be5cf6.jpg347a5bbb60e3ced124514e07efeb23da.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk