DB Nissan 350z GT 05'

davey_83

With the battery going flat the other day and then reading up whereby even after going for a long drive this doesn't restore the battery fully. I thought I'd look into conditioning of the battery cells to help prolong it's life as it's a second car.

Borrowed a CTEK MXS 5 from my brother's work and it's fair to say it was needed. Started of with 2 and finished on 7, yay back to full health again.

IMG_20171230_221455225~2.jpg

IMG_20171230_220830904~2.jpg

No, just the car led...... Sugar I should have cycled through to 'car' and 'recond'.

Have the Note hooked up now with 'recond' to added stage 6 of the process. It reads 'recond' is to be used once a year, which is good to know.

IMG_20171231_200717438.jpg

Edited by davey_83

Just put together my glovebox detailing kit for the Zed. Never done this before however what a smart and easy idea.

Right to left, my go to glass cleaner, leather cleaner, quick detailer, interior dressing and 5:1 APC.

5a5225a92ac8f_IMG_20180107_1342309122.thumb.jpg.d5626e21ce1cc56b23db8d0096752906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of the eBay sale day and picked up this year's service kit and a pair of MPS4 to replace my MPS3. Having taken the car out on track, both a boiling hot day (Japfest 2 Rockingham) and torrential rain (PHSS Silverstone) I really felt I could lean on the PS3's with confidence and abuse the front end at least in the dry. Cant wait to swap them out for the new rubbers, however will wait until later in the year as the old ones are still on 3mm.

Shoppers faces when I came out of Argos with tyres :)

IMG_20180106_125254249.thumb.jpg.f1dc892965f81d2e486aa06d22fbb05b.jpg

• Haha 1

My 350z and my Brothers VXR220 live on these CTEK charger/conditioners, a must if your car sits for a while between usage and over winter

Just seen on the first page you have a gear shifter extension, I wanted to try one of these but wasn't sure about the quality as I don't want it snapping off on track while keenly pulling gears! Where did you buy yours assuming its not snapped off that it and does it work well with the short shift fitted?!

Edited by 350Butcher

Yeah happy I have one now as the Zed is a second car, so makes sense.

Bought from eBay and i wouldn't be without it, gives just that touch more leverage and makes shifting a breeze. Had one fitted to the Zed for years now and with my last car, no issues. The one in the OP was an old 4" one, I've gone down to a 3" now.

Plus it looks cool B)

Screenshot_20180121-184019~2.png

Edited by davey_83

For ages since taking my car out on track at Silverstone, I've had a fairly noticeable brake judder. I knew it wasn't warp discs or down to poor fitment, as i knew the moment it happen and seemed as a result of not warming the brakes up before punishment. 

Whilst the car is filthy and in need of a wash, on the way home from work this morning I went through a pad bedding in process. Damn it worked, no more judder and the discs are in much better condition to take another set of pads ready for Castle Combe.

#bluemuch 

5a6ca3ac8ba70_Fotor_1517068959842982.thumb.jpg.3fac35fef92de2c484ea2fdd481c0c9c.jpg

Edited by davey_83

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

For ages since taking my car out on track at Silverstone, I've had a fairly noticeable brake judder. I knew it wasn't warp discs or down to poor fitment, as i knew the moment it happen and seemed as a result of not warming the brakes up before punishment. 

Whilst the car is filthy and in need of a wash, on the way home from work this morning I went through a pad bedding in process. Damn it worked, no more judder and the discs are in much better condition to take another set of pads ready for Castle Combe

What was your process??

Iv had brake judder for a while also, so would like to try what you did..

Although I think I did warp mine..I'd done about 5 laps around nurburgring GP track but was taking it a little easier on the 1st corner (going from about 120 to 20) on my last lap I thought I'd go for it and brake hard all the way.. I got to about 40 and then the juddering started and now happens when I slam on hard... but i did thjnk that the standard brembo discs were good quality and hard to warp?? Maybe there abit thin so warped easier..

The feeling I had was pedal pulsing, due to pad transfer on the face of the discs. This then leave 3 options; replace, skim or use controlled heat to sheer off. I needed to do it as the pads are getting low, I didn't want to throw in new pads and have them tackle an extra job. 

Process was 50mph to 30mph lightly X5, 70mph to 40mph medium firm x5, 80mph to 40mph hard x5. Steady drive home for 15mins, when coming to a stand still I was sure not to hold the foot brake.

From what I gather a heat cycle is recommended prior to heavy use, as it leave a nice friction surface for the pads.

Edited by davey_83

Jeez mate, if you're tracking the car get them pads out! The DS2500's are awful pads so standard street stuff is even worse!

I guessed at Ferodo as the vibration you get from pad material transferring on to the disc is a Ferodo trait. They are the worst culprits for this. 10mins on track and they are finished!!

Couldn't agree more fella, I don't track the car as in 'track days' more track sessions ie 20 or 30mins which is plenty at a time for me. Knowing I have oe spec pads made me very aware that 7/10 was plenty while on track. 

Sub £100, what would you recommend for fast road and a few sessions on track? 

Sorry, thought you planned to do full days on circuit. 

I've not tried them but if it was me I would try a set of the Performance Friction Z-rated fast road/track pads......only just over budget!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PFC-1001-11-Z-Rated-Front-Brake-Pads-Mitsubishi-Evo-5-9-Impreza-WRX-STi-350Z/192337445611?hash=item2cc83482eb:g:YYQAAOSwH2VZ50F3

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After an amazing turn out for my first go at organising a local club meet, all the talk of the next one being a drive out affair did only one thing. Put me in the mood for a nice Sunday drive haha. 

Pulled over for a picture before setting off the Atherstone. 

5a8c671d8b64a_IMG-20180219-WA00062.jpg.a60f768233c3438430358326d9140bfe.jpg

5a8c672514b27_G00106353.JPG.00d9cfc087c5a2c0b7576d3d10e28673.JPG

5a8c670cee83e_IMG_20180218_151614691_HDR2.jpg.5c5fe11adb23cdd204aca7add9c797ec.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking thread!! All the work you've done is really my kind of thing...as is the Primera!

Interesting to see the solenoids being gunked up to, did anyone ever see the S2000 on Wheeler Dealers? Similar thing.