Am I weighing this up fairly?

Rook

Happy 07 RevUp DE owner, have been for about 18 months. Have briefly driven HR and 370z, but didn't own my car at the time, so don't have a reasonable comparison in mind...

Anyway, work's going ok and I'm ready to start enjoying my car a little more, shall we say. I want '350z but more' and am weighing up exactly how I might achieve that. This isn't a 'what mods should I get' post, more a case of 'are these my options, and have I evaluated them correctly'.

I'm not rolling in the dough, so finances are a concern. I've been running a Z as my daily for 18 months and put over 20,000 miles on it in that time, so obviously not too restrictively so, but yeah.

Enough intro.

Far as I see it, to get '350z plus' I could put my money into:

NA mods (HFC's, headers maybe?), remap, coilovers, new rims, tyres and maybe the odd body mod on my current Z.

- Pros: I know my car's reliable, I know it's quirks, and this is a cheap (ish) option. Hopefully the NA mods will be enough to make the car just that bit more responsive and the coilovers make it just that bit sharper. I don't think I'm necessarily in the market for 'scare the pants off you' fast.

- Cons: It's on 120k miles already, and a RevUp - am I potentially affecting reliability?

All the above mods on a newer HR.

- Pros: People rave about the HR motor, and there's the faintest chance I could pull more power out of it with my NA mods and remap. I'd also have a younger car, and potentially more years of enjoyment out of it. If it's younger in years and does a few fewer miles, it might just feel a little sharper too. Maybe. Oh and the HR bonnet is cool. Means I can get a Z in the colour I want too, grey wasn't my first choice!

- Cons: Means going through the hassle of selling my car, buying a new, unknown vehicle and going through all that drama all over again of finding out all the things the listing and 20 minutes of tyre kicking doesn't tell you, and the HR will set me back about £4K more than I'll get for my car for basically the same thing - is the HR £4K better? I'm not sure.

Buy a 370z and build it up over time.

- Pros: Yay shiny new(ish) thing, bigger motor, better economy (yeah I just said that, sorry), better resale value (?), a much sharper drive (though arguably less 'raw') and more refined clutch.

- Cons: Most expensive by far, so wouldn't be able to afford to modify straight away. It's still, fundamentally, a very similar car to the 350z and as I said, not as raw and mechanical feeling in my brief experience, albeit a sharper, more modern feeling car. Also, parts and remap seem to cost more, and the bigger rims means that's more expensive too.

Apologies if this is similar to previous threads but - where would the more experienced Z drivers and modders here draw the line?

Will a remap and some coilovers really make my car feel that much sprightlier?

Is a 370z or 350z HR a better base for mods?

If I added up the purchase price of my DE, plus all my mods, both the performance and rice, I'd just be into 370z money. Would it have been more sensible to get a more modern, more capable 370z for the same price. Yes! Do I wish I'd gone straight to 370z? No! I'd have had to wait longer to become a Zed owner and this is the first car I've modified, so I've learnt loads and it's been fun.

I think you'd be mad to spend the money going from a DE to an HR, unless perhaps you wanted to switch from a coupe to an roadster. All IMHO. I'd go 370z.

• Like 3

It's fine to say the combined value of a de plus mods is equivalent to a hr or 370 but I'd rather have my de with all the mods etc to improve it and make it to my personal taste than have a bog standard hr/370.

You'll then say do those same mods to the newer better car but then your gross is even higher and you may aswell have bought something else. This is my opinion of course

Edited by 350jimbobz
  • Like 1

Hhhmmm to me it seems like you're already contemplating getting rid of your Zed maybe influenced in some way by the fact that the colour wasn't your first choice or what you were really after.

Tbh I'd forget the HR.

Yes it is imo definitely a better Zed than the RevUp which you have but I don't think the leap between the two is really worth you even contemplating as it's really not that much different (looks, performance or styling wise). If you hadn't bought the RevUp & were asking which one between the two to buy then I'd say go for the HR if you can.

I'd put my money on the 370Z if you can without a doubt. :thumbs:

Thanks for the detailed and constructive replies!

Jimbob I agree in a way, that's my biggest worry with the 70 is I'll not have the disposable to make it mine for a while.

I think I need to book another test drive in a 370!

The last thing I would do is get a 370, unless you're absolutely in love with them. It's just not that different to justify the much larger expense, and IMHO definitely not in terms of the drive.

I also wouldn't get the HR. Again, not enough of a difference unless it's a car you're gonna to keep forever.

Nope, I'd either mod what you have now or get something completely different. But that's just me.

• Like 2

I'm biased but I would rather mod a 350 so opion 1 of your list. At 120K miles, consider doing your suspension bushes, diff bushes too and some adjustable coilovers, droplinks etc... all will improve handling. The handling setup is the best place to throw money if you want a better drive.

Remap is worth it, especially if you have some other breather mods (Headers is a lot of work for the gains but up to you) HFC and decent zorst good idea for performance and sound too. List is endless really, all down to budget.

370Z rims look great on a 350z and you can always get a respray down the line - custom to whatever you want.

Sounds like youre a fan of the car and will keep it so its worth putting some money into it. As others have said, 370 and HR arent different enough to justify increased cost, and power mods arent really cost effective so Id sort out chassis and make it sound nicer.

If you could find some S/H bits you could probably do coilovers, brakepads, exhaust, intake and maybe uprated anti roll bars or some new chassis bushes for under £1500, car will be so much nicer to drive afterwards too :)

• Like 1