First track day booked!

PMX

take a footpump and a decent tyre pressure gauge - your pressures will rise considerably as your tyres heat up - I expect 35psi cold will turn into 43psi when hot, so you'll likely need to come into the pits after a session and drop the pressures back down to 35psi hot.

also always do a cooldown lap (or maybe two since Mallory is a very short track) at the end of every session you do, trying to use the brakes as little as possible. and then when you park up in the pits, don't use the handbrake as it will stick to the hot disc! Id also keep your sessions short - i'd do maybe 8 laps before coming in.

oh and do whatever you can to make sure you stay until the end. a lot of cars start going home at 3pm, so the track starts getting quieter towards the end of the day, which is when you'll put your best laps in! in a similar way the start of the day and just after lunch are the busiest times, so if you're not confident being on track with other cars, perhaps wait 20 minutes and try and spot who the troublemakers might be.

Edited by brillomaster

All great advise, many thanks.

I intend to have Mitz do a full service over the next few weeks (car needs it anyway)

There is an option to have some instructor training, think it's £20.00, I go opt for this extra...

Didn't realise about the tyre pressures increasing, I need to sort foot pump & tyre pressure gauge.

though looking at the attendance list so far looks like you'll have the whole track to yourself anyways... Pete :lol:

That would be nice :teeth: but unfortunately this track day has only just been released so I am sure that it will soon fill up.....unless they are all scared of going up against the mighty 370 ;)

take a footpump and a decent tyre pressure gauge - your pressures will rise considerably as your tyres heat up - I expect 35psi cold will turn into 43psi when hot, so you'll likely need to come into the pits after a session and drop the pressures back down to 35psi hot.

also always do a cooldown lap (or maybe two since Mallory is a very short track) at the end of every session you do, trying to use the brakes as little as possible. and then when you park up in the pits, don't use the handbrake as it will stick to the hot disc! Id also keep your sessions short - i'd do maybe 8 laps before coming in.

oh and do whatever you can to make sure you stay until the end. a lot of cars start going home at 3pm, so the track starts getting quieter towards the end of the day, which is when you'll put your best laps in! in a similar way the start of the day and just after lunch are the busiest times, so if you're not confident being on track with other cars, perhaps wait 20 minutes and try and spot who the troublemakers might be.

'Trouble Makers' :scare: how do I spot these :wacko:

most likely anyone who spins in the first half hour, or anyone who's shown a black flag for driving standards. Also any racecars attending, most of my experience of racecars on trackdays is that they drive like dicks. Although you'd hopefully be alright as there isn't much racing at Mallory park these days.

but anyways, ignore my naysaying, you'll have a blast. I've always said trackdays are the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

One thing that might take some getting used to - since its your first trackday and you're in a powerful car, there will likely be a couple of cars that are faster through the bends, but slow on the straights. keep an eye on your mirrors and if you notice a car is always right behind you coming out of corners, you may need to do a prolonged lift on the next straight to let him past, but he'll be really grateful.

Wise words so far from everyone. Instruction is such a must so 100% book 1 or 2 sessions. Let the instructor know you are new to this as they will likely spend longer than the usual 20 minutes with you. I did Spa for the first time this year and ended up spending around 2 hours with the instructor which was a god send.

As for tyre gauges, make sure you spend money and get a good one as a lot of bad inaccurate ones out there. I found out recently at Combe that mine is crap but my Michelin foot pump is dead accurate. Turned out a lot of people's at Combe were the same and my foot pump become the most popular item :)

The brake comment is so important. After a run, do not touch that handbrake or sit with your foot on the brakes. You will coat your discs with brake pad and warp your discs. As said, cool down lap, into pits, stop car, engine off and leave car in second.

Check your oil throughout the day and take spare with you.

Check wheel nuts throughout the day.

Check tyre pressures. After a session, hot they should be pretty much at the manufacturers recommended levels or a little lower depending on track temp. So you will need them set lower when cold.

Enjoy it and remember to have fun.

Brakes as above, so sort of chock is useful

http://sanphamtucaosu.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/d58892dcca190467d7b780e89d4a8c3b.jpg

Not sure what car you are taking but fuel surge can be PITA so jerry cans and extra fuel or dont let it go below 1/3 of a tank.

And as above, the car that are slow on the straights and fast through the corners...... find them and follow them :)

Have fun, track days are great fun!

I'm well jealous.... I was hoping to go to a trackday on august 14th, but due to my new track car having a leaky radiator i'm having to postpone till 24th September. which seems like aaaaages away!

My next one is 21st September and the wait is killing me also. Might need to book a sneaky one in August :)

Out on track Friday :)

@OP - some great advice above, take your time get into the rhythm of how it works generally I find everyone friendly and helpful we are all there for the same thing so you should have a blast :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser