370z power?

Paul123

Hi

Wanted a bit of info from experienced 370z owners please. I own a 350z and really like the design of the 370z. I was tempted to buy a 370z and have driven a couple including the nismo version. My experience was that the 370z feels that is has a lot less torque than the 350z. Even the nismo version did not have that kick to it that my 350z does. The only upgrade on my 350z is a miltek exhaust. I can not understand it because on paper the 370z has more BHP and more torque so should feel similar or even better than the 350z.

I would really like to know why and if others know what I mean.

Could any of you 370z owners help clear this up. If you have owned or driven a 350z you may know what I mean. Is there anything that can be done to change this. If the exhaust is changed and possible removing the CATs would that awaken the car. Is it something to do with the 370z engine?

It would be great to get some feedback as I would like to get a 370z soon.

Thanks

Hi Paul, I felt the same moving from a 350 to 370 and could not understand why, it did not feel as sharp or throttle responsive.

That was before I read and realised that Nissan made the throttle pedal travel longer on the 370 to make it smoother to drive.

Once you get used to this and use the full extent of the 370 pedal travel performance is significantly better on the 370 but much smoother to drive around town.

I do not regret in the slightest moving to the 370, it is a stunning car.

Edited by 370ZRDevon
  • Like 1

Thanks Devon

Makes sense. Did not realise about the pedal travel. Is it possible to get that kick out of it. I mean that torque feeling when you change down gear and put the pedal down hard if you change driving style?

Also, do you know the tuning potential with the basic mods? I think it was about 30 to 50 bhp if you change the CATs and exhaust and remap. Have you done any of this to yours?

I installed a Sprintbooster to mine and,it has increased the driving pleasure (for me) immeasurably. The throttle response is so much better now, it's how the car should be from the factory. It doesn't give any more power but 'tricks' the car into thinking the throttle pedal is depressed further than it is. My car is an auto and feels far better now, kickdown comes in more like any other auto I've driven rather than having to stamp your foot right into the carpet to initiate it

• Like 4

You won't look back that's for sure and you must do some bolt ons!

I got stillen intakes, motordyne exhaust and art pipes finished with ECUTEK and this made a massive difference with approx 385bhp compare to my full bolt on de at 300bp. Not sure how much torque was up from the 350z but I think it was around 55 at the wheels.

Performance wise the 370z handles and performance a lot better than my 350z. I also just lost 30lbs of my axles by going two piece rotors which made a huge difference. There's definitely more potential in the 370z.

Edited by Chris Wiltshire

I had a 370z for a week as a loan car whilst my 350z HR was in for some work and personally I felt that my HR was a much better car performance wise. The 370z just felt slower and less responsive. Handling I felt was the same. I suppose on paper theres very little between the performance between the 350z HR and the 370z and so if you were going from an older zed you might notice more of a difference. And of course, a lot of it might just be personal perception. Of course, the 370z interior was miles better and really made my 350z HR look very dated inside.

Hi Chris

That's exactly what I was planning on doing with the 370z. I have the motordyne exhaust on my 350z and it is truly amazing.

Have you put your car on the dino and seen the 385 bhp ?

Do you go to any of the meets as it would be nice to see your car as I am selling my 350z now and considering the 370z with the upgrades.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Mark.

So only 350/355 bhp. That is quite a lot of mods for only 20 to 25 bhp and not much increase from the standard 330 bhp the car has.

Motordyne quote much higher figures from their ART pipes and exhaust. Is this not true then in reality?

Lots of factors at play here. Throttle response, gearing, power curves, damping, aero, tyres, traction control etc. You can't just look at straight line performance. The 370 is a more rounded package and by comparison i find my old DE less planted / snappier around the bends, less confident over 100mph which is when the Nismo aero really kicks in, more reliant on torque rather than the last 500rpm. The Nismo spools from 120 to 150 with a lot more gusto where the DE would start to get a bit jittery at 120. The DE was all about 3rd gear for me. The Nismo is about keeping it on the boil, enjoying the more playful rear end and smashing her well into triple figures.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Mark.

So only 350/355 bhp. That is quite a lot of mods for only 20 to 25 bhp and not much increase from the standard 330 bhp the car has.

Motordyne quote much higher figures from their ART pipes and exhaust. Is this not true then in reality?

I'm afraid that's a fact of life with the 370. Nothing you can do except spend a huge lump of cash on forced induction will gain substantial bhp. But the improvement in how the car sounds alone is worth the outlay on a decent exhaust and if you add a few more breathing mods and get a tune, the car feels much more responsive.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Humans dont feel bhp very well , they are more sensitive to torque but even then its very hit and miss

This is my dyno chart* - firstly the 370z wont make 326hp at the flywheel on many dynos , mine made 299hp after fitting a cat back exhaust and intake , I never dyno'ed it stock

After the remap it made 309hp at the flywheel

Removing the stock cats had a big impact getting up to 345

img037_zps9tlunrwn.jpg

In real terms I ran the car down the drag strip in a variety of guises , stock it ran 13.8@101 (Partly limited by the awful Bridgestone tyres), after remap it ran 13.5@105 and after the cats were removed it ran a 13.3@108

If I had my time again I would put the money into fitting a decent diff , that will make much more impact in performance terms than any n/a tuning

*my car is an auto so makes a little less on the dyno than a manual

• Like 1

Hi Z veteran. Thanks for the post.

Very useful info. The diff makes a lot of sense.

Could you tell me what you replaced the stock CATs with? Motordyne ART pipes look good but they are very expensive. What did you go for as the power gains look really good. Did you feel this power and torque increase?

I have also been looking at the stillen supercharger as it looks great. Good power gains and it does not wine like other systems. Just looking at complete prices including clutch upgrade and fitting etc.

So you have a supercharged one as well. Is it a stillen?

If you don't mind me asking; what was the cost of the supercharger including clutch and fitting as this seems the best way to get good power gains?

yeah its complicated :) LOL

I had a 2012 GT Edition which was normally aspirated and then I bought a different 2012 GT Edition which was already supercharged so cant help you out with costs really , also mine is an auto . I wouldn't have entertained doing the work to my own car i don't think its good value for money

The weak pound wont have made it any cheaper I would think ball park would be £10-£12k supplied and fitted for the supercharger and another £2k for the clutch

Edited by Richf

The mods Chris has fitted and we tuned with EcuTek on our in house dyno produced around 350/355bhp.

What does the drive train loss work out at? from the US forums It seems about 16% and from a previous post of yours it was 35bhp add on ?

Looking at my sheet it was at 332 WHP and 283 ftlb

Using the 16% would be 385bhp or adding on the 35bhp would be 367bhp. :S

Edited by Chris Wiltshire

Hi Z veteran. Thanks for the post.

Very useful info. The diff makes a lot of sense.

Could you tell me what you replaced the stock CATs with? Motordyne ART pipes look good but they are very expensive. What did you go for as the power gains look really good. Did you feel this power and torque increase?

I have also been looking at the stillen supercharger as it looks great. Good power gains and it does not wine like other systems. Just looking at complete prices including clutch upgrade and fitting etc.

Motordyne gear is expensive but has a great reputation. Would run a full MD exhaust solution if i could afford it.

Humans dont feel bhp very well , they are more sensitive to torque but even then its very hit and miss

This is my dyno chart* - firstly the 370z wont make 326hp at the flywheel on many dynos , mine made 299hp after fitting a cat back exhaust and intake , I never dyno'ed it stock

After the remap it made 309hp at the flywheel

Removing the stock cats had a big impact getting up to 345

img037_zps9tlunrwn.jpg

In real terms I ran the car down the drag strip in a variety of guises , stock it ran 13.8@101 (Partly limited by the awful Bridgestone tyres), after remap it ran 13.5@105 and after the cats were removed it ran a 13.3@108

If I had my time again I would put the money into fitting a decent diff , that will make much more impact in performance terms than any n/a tuning

*my car is an auto so makes a little less on the dyno than a manual

Otherwise known as the Potenza effect? :(

Disappointing not to print under 13 seconds i guess...

I think I could have popped into the 12's with more runs its the diff that held it back since it allows one wheel to spin before locking up maybe a 12.8 if the track was decent

My Supercharged car ran a very easy 12.5 at 118mph the second pass on the track and i reckon I could crack into the 11's with a little more practice

• Like 1