M35 Stagea import - and alloys question!

Hi everyone! I'm importing an M35 Stagea estate with the 3.5 V6 so thought I'd join up here as there isn't much of a scene for those cars in the UK.

On a side note, I'm considering swapping the standard 17" alloys when the car comes in for 18" alloys which I believe are known as the 350z touring v2 rims. Firstly is anyone looking to sell some and how much do they normally go for? I'd also be after 2 sets of the rears only ie. the 18x8.5" wheels so I can fit 245/45/18s

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2016 at 16:56, gazman said:

Hi everyone! I'm importing an M35 Stagea estate with the 3.5 V6 so thought I'd join up here as there isn't much of a scene for those cars in the UK.

On a side note, I'm considering swapping the standard 17" alloys when the car comes in for 18" alloys which I believe are known as the 350z touring v2 rims. Firstly is anyone looking to sell some and how much do they normally go for? I'd also be after 2 sets of the rears only ie. the 18x8.5" wheels so I can fit 245/45/18s

Hi @gazman, do you still have your Stagea?

I’m importing a 2005 Stagea AR-X Four and am wondering how you got on owning it, getting spare parts etc?

Did you manage to change your wheels... I’m thinking about putting the off-road style steel modular wheels on for a different look. And lowering it if I can find some springs at a decent price.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers, Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

Sorry I don't get chance to come on the site much so only just seen your message!

The car has been really good so far. Only real work I've had to do was front wheel bearings which were knackered (common problem), rear calipers (seized as it had been sat too long without driving in Japan) and exhaust replacement as the old one was rusting away. Now have a cat back stainless quad exhaust system...

Other than that it's just been oil/filter changes, transmission fluid drain and top up as I had no record of when it was last done and some new brake pads.

The car has been very reliable overall and I have recently driven it on a 2,600 odd mile trip all the way from the UK to Budapest to Munich and back home. Only painful bit was sitting on the JDM speed limiter on the Autobahn and getting passed by a 1.4 litre Fiesta. Oh and fuel prices...

Spare parts are generally all 350z apart from the odd bit (rear caliper I think was X-trail). I have Nismo S-tune suspension mine which I'd highly recommend. Not the cheapest but great mix of handling and comfort.

Just picked up today my new alloys although not got the tyres for them yet! They're 19" and I'm going staggered...fingers crossed I have all my measurements correct.

Check out UK M35 Stagea owners on Facebook as well as the general M35 owners group (Oz based) - both have lots of info on these cars.

m35 quad 1.jpg

Hi @gazman ,

Thank you so much for replying back to me, it really is very very very appreciated.

I was starting to feel like I was going to be the only owner of a PNM35 Stagea in the UK.

And one where there was no spare parts available for it... thankfully, you’ve put my mind at rest.

If mine’s a good ’un and a keeper, I’m going to get it converted to LPG as my wife runs an E51 Elgrand and a lot of people on the forum have had their 3.5 V6 converted with no problems at all.

When does the limiter kick in? I thought these beauties had a 150mph top speed?

It should arrive in the country on Sunday 15th July, so I’ll let you know when it arrives and what the verdict is...

Thanks again!!!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Standard JDM limiter I'm afraid so 112mph. You can get an HKS SLD to remove it but unfortunately the one for our cars is mk3 and about £300. I'm waiting til I'm ready to get Uprev tuning on the go.

Good luck with the car and hope you get one as good as mine's been!

• 1 month later...

Hi @gazman

It’s finally arrived... insured, taxed, MoTd (flew through) and now sat on my drive looking great!

Only driven it a couple of times... WOW, it flies!!!

Interior is great, no rips or tears, everything works pretty much.

Exterior has had a couple of scrapes on the side mouldings. Nothing too serious. I’ve rubbed them down and put a mixture of back to black on the bits I’ve sanded down to bring the colour back and then used Meguiars Ultimate Black (amazing stuff) on all of it to make it all black and shiny.

Next thing is a service and then maybe an LPG conversion.

I’ve attached some pics for you. It looks better in the pics, up close you can see it’s a car that’s been well used. But it has come up well.

But, overall, I couldn’t be happier.

Thanks for all your help and advice... cheers, Rob.

IMG_20180902_085118.jpg

IMG_20180902_085111.jpg

IMG_20180902_085058.jpg

IMG_20180902_085047.jpg

17 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Is yours the 3.5 lump? If so do lots of research on LPG conversion as it’s probably best avoided 

Hi, yep it’s the 3.5 V6 from the 350Z (VQ35DE).

I know of someone who converts Elgrands (my wife’s car in the background) with the same engine and he’s now done over 80 with no returns or complaints.

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

Cool. Had heard of a few horror stories on here over the years

He’s on the ElgranOC forum a lot.

It’s Simon @ LPGC and he’s converted a lot of Elgrands (3.5s) and he also owns one himself.

His posts on LPG subjects are encyclopaedic, I’m not kidding, they’re huge.

What he doesn’t know about LPG probably isn’t worth knowing.

I’m in talks with him about converting my Stagea.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, LRF4N said:

On a separate note the guy who imported my 350gt just imported a stagea like this. 2.5 model, will be for sale soon

Sounds good!

Should make someone a very happy owner ~ loads of tuning options for the RB25 turbo!!!

Glad the car has arrived safe and well Rob - looks really nice in that colour! Would have gone for blue myself if there'd been an RX in that colour available at the time.

You planning on doing anything to yours or keeping it stock for the time being?

Sway bar link headaches aside I'm still loving my car and recently fitted some new OZ alloys with staggered 245/275 tyres. Along with the uprated sway bars it's very quick in the corners now - I've definitely not pushed it anywhere near the limits.

Sorry for another crappy pic. I've still not had chance to take any decent shots yet!

m35-alloys.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gaz, no not planning on changing it yet as the next things on the list are a service and then get it converted to LPG.

After that, I think I’ll put some winter tyres on the factory alloys and then keep them as my winter wheels and get something different for the summer.

I do quite fancy on of those popcharger induction kits, as I do like a good noise. I had a K&N induction kit on my old Honda CRX and that made a great sound.

Your wheels look awesome, really sets the car off well. Keep on top of the cleaning though ;)

Speak soon!

Rob