Pain and GP's

TT350

Currently sat in A+E due to migraines and unreal knee pain that I've had for years that has flare ups.

They used to prescribe me Tramadol and I'd take it as and when it was unbareable. For ages now I've just been sent from pilar to post with gels and potions and physio and gels and diclofenac, strong Ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin.

ANYTHING bar the only thing that works.

Apparently it's been reclassified and GP's and Doctors are scared sh1tless to prescribe ANYTHING that has potential for addiction. Which p1sses me off to no end.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Not really long term, but I was in Hospital for 5 days a few years ago with severe abdominal pain (Turned out to be duedonitis). I needed morphine just to be able to sit still and they would come round and fob me off with paracetamol even though I was clearly unable to eat or sleep due to the pain. The single worst 5 days of my life... the final straw being a wander around the hospital at 2am, whilst wheeling my empty drip, looking for a nurse so I could beg them for some water.

I am genuinely psychologically scarred from the experience.

I'm guessing proper pain killers are expensive which is why they don't hand them out readily. Luckily they gave me some tramadol when the discharged me, but I had to wait 8 hours for the pharmacy to bring them as they tried sending me home with some paracetamol...

I hope you get sorted out mate, there's nothing worse than being in pain and people not taking you seriously or wanting to help. I now pay for Bupa, such is my fear of having to go back on the NHS.

I'm sat in A+E and was seen by the nurse that takes notes before you go in and I began to say "they used to prescribe me Tramadol. ..." and she just cut me off and said "not gonna happen"

It's because it's been rescheduled a class C and although they can, they won't prescribe it through fear patients may become dependant. People were suing the NHS because of their addiction.

I'm guessing they'll just go "Ibuprofen and paracetamol x times a day refer you to physio"

I've paid for my own sports physio which was thorough and expensive and I've seen NHS physio twice before.

Sorry to hear of your experience above. That sounds absolutely horrendous!

You are in the wrong country guys. :lol:

Up here in Scotland the GPs and NHS appear to be much more relaxed about prescribing medication and basically, usually, you will get what you ask for, within reason. :blush:

Nanny state down here.

You are in the wrong country guys. :lol:

Up here in Scotland the GPs and NHS appear to be much more relaxed about prescribing medication and basically, usually, you will get what you ask for, within reason. :blush:

Hope you are not grassing up anyone there Alex :lol:

And yes we jump through endless hoops down here to get things done - not helped by not having a dedicated doctor - just take pot luck on who you get (excuse the pun :teeth: )

Btw check your white blood cells level. My sis has a type of cancer (none fatal) that gives her 8x more white blood cells than normal people. It's like being super human but not having any abilities. It just means that she has a great immuno response. However it gives her severe migraine due to the concentration of WBC.

I called it and I was right.

GP prescribed me Oruvail gel 2 weeks ago which has done zero for pain.

Doc just saw me and said "OK...well try that plus paracetamol then"

I was in there about 45 seconds.

Looks like the black market it is.

In my experiences GP`s dont really care about getting the cause of the problem solved, just give you pain killers and send you on your way. Last year I had some back pain and told the GP that normal pain killers werent touching it. Rather than help diagnose the problem he gave me a pescrtiption for something like 200 co-codamol and sent me off. 200 of the things. I think I must have cleared the chemist out nearly. God knows what he was thinking.

Seems one extreme to the other...

In my experiences GP`s dont really care about getting the cause of the problem solved, just give you pain killers and send you on your way. Last year I had some back pain and told the GP that normal pain killers werent touching it. Rather than help diagnose the problem he gave me a pescrtiption for something like 200 co-codamol and sent me off. 200 of the things. I think I must have cleared the chemist out nearly. God knows what he was thinking.

Seems one extreme to the other...

That is mental. Especially with the paracetamol in it. Jeez.

Highly irresponsible. Those things make me feel lousy.

I've been prescribed oxycontin in the past but that was like nuclear bomb power. Horrible things that turned me into the walking dead.

Tramadol are like above cocodemol but below that stuff.

Apparently they're told to treat all patients as smack heads that are only asking for pain meds because they want to get high A.F. If that were the case with me I'd definitely be asking for the oxycontin.

Pain is such a multi headed beast. Pain = no sleep = stress = anxiety yet they'll throw no end of sleeping pills, NSAID's, topical gels, anti depressants, propranolol etc at you.

Tramadol is a baby compared to oxy as you say TT, morphine doesn't come close either imo.

Paddy, opiates cost next to nothing to produce. I briefly worked in a practice, the costs are negligible.

I suffer lower back pain, some days I'm fine but if iv sat improper for a few hours im crippled.

As you know the only reason opiates are combined with paracetamol is to avoid people taking a recreational dose as they would have 'overdosed' on paracetamol before they feel high.

Studies prove paracetamol (acetaminophen) is a placebo anyway. I'd rather not take it.

Il be brutally honest, I think many GP's play on 'key words' x number of visits, you sing the right tunes and hit the right notes and be persistent you get what you want eventually. Climbing the ladder.