Which exhaust ?

Dave6188

So recently purchased a Cobra y-pipe back resonated exhaust, love the sound in & around town and when your WOT but hate the drone at motorway speeds 70-80mph especially when climbing hills it echoes around the cabin and sounds horrendous.

So question is what exhaust makes the same kind of note as the Cobra at WOT but is drone free and I mean no drone at all I can't live with it ? Live in Hull if anyone is nearby to have a listen to their exhaust, any good suggestions ?

Miltek maybe.....

I have thought about the Milltek but people on this forum have said it's quieter than the stock exhaust unless it's coupled with HFC which I don't intend on doing !

I had the Milltek with stock cats - it only lasted one month until I replaced it, as it was SO quiet. Made the car sound like an electric car IMO!! Sold it to a member on here who paired it with HFCs or decats, and I think that has really brought them to life with a fantastic sound.

Stop your search now and get the Ark Grip - you wont be disappointed. Growly at WOT, silent when cruising.

• Like 1

Had a look at dozens of pics of both the Ark & Invidia, I would sway more to the Invidia as I like the rolled tips a lot better not keen on burnt tips but each to their own.

Had a quote from Topgear in Doncaster who are really reputable for custom exhausts who quoted £700 for a catback and said they could get the sound exactly how I want it ! Not 100% sure what to do tbh

Any reason not to go custom ?

Had a look at dozens of pics of both the Ark & Invidia, I would sway more to the Invidia as I like the rolled tips a lot better not keen on burnt tips but each to their own.

Had a quote from Topgear in Doncaster who are really reputable for custom exhausts who quoted £700 for a catback and said they could get the sound exactly how I want it ! Not 100% sure what to do tbh

It depends really.

I've had a stainless steel custom made system in the past (Longlife) but then they were around half the price of a decent system for that car at the time and cheaper than an OEM mild steel system so it made sense to me then.

Tbh £700 is probably a fair price considering all the pipe bending, welding and the fitting involved & in the sense that its most likely what other custom exhaust places would charge for what they do but imho it's still too much money. :thumbdown:

For example you could buy a Buddy Club Pro system for similar money which will have at least had some money spent on R&D by Buddy Club researching exhaust gas flow etc.

Link: http://cougarstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=98

For less money (£400-£450 odd) you could get a Cobra exhaust system, ...not a "Cat to back" system mind but still depends on what you're after. If your OEM Y-pipe is in decent shape then you may want to save the extra cash. Personally I'd always go Cat to back at the very least.

Obviously you will have to pay for fitting then with any aftermarket exhaust but tbh it shouldn't be all that much. Maybe an hour or so tops depending on how rusted the OEM bolts are & how competent the mechanic is. :dry::lol:

Oh and as for them getting it to sound as you want well that can be a bit hit & miss. It might sound just how you want at first but then after a few hundred miles it will coke up and the sound will change (quite a bit sometimes).

The sound changing after the exhaust has coked up though is true of any system though.

Just food for thought. ;)

• Like 1

Just note the invidia I have heard is quieter than the ark. The risk with the custom is that it'll be a one off and therefore v little/no r&d will have gone behind the specific setup you'll be getting. At least with the invidia you know there have been thousands of v happy customers and youll know for sure what sound you'll get!

Maybe someone else can sing the praises of going custom though?

Tempted to go back to stock backbox but get a custom y-pipe, mid-pipe and scrap the resonator for a bit more sound. Not bothered about power tbh as you gain very little from a catback just want a slightly better sound and no drone !