Wrong Fuel used...

jackvyal

I can only assume that Nissan maps them to run on 95 before selling them in Ireland then?

Says 98 on the cap and there was some 98 available here until the mid 2000s

Edited by delz0r

• 3 weeks later...

There is no way that this engine is stressed enough, running high enough compression, has wild enough cam lobes, or revs high enough to take advantage of super unleaded.

Anyone putting it in is simply wasting money.

Infact, due to the higher flashpoint, it may even lose power lower down the rev range.

Fair enough if you cam it up and fit higher comp pistons and map it to take advantage.

There is no way that this engine is stressed enough, running high enough compression, has wild enough cam lobes, or revs high enough to take advantage of super unleaded.

Anyone putting it in is simply wasting money.

Infact, due to the higher flashpoint, it may even lose power lower down the rev range.

Fair enough if you cam it up and fit higher comp pistons and map it to take advantage.

:snack:

N.I. is fine for super, we have BP, Topaz, Go and Texaco who all provide 97 RON. The South stopped it about 10 years ago for some reason, which is odd because pretty much all our fuel up here comes in through Dublin :shrug:

When I had a brand spanking new 370z for a courtesy car a few years back whilst my 350z was having some work done at Nissan, I found a massive stack of receipts in the glove box for normal unleaded petrol which is what the Nissan main dealer was putting in all their demo/courtesy cars.

See posts #23 & 31 in particular here:

http://www.350z-uk.c...-zed-on-95-ron/

So it's from a variable timing engine. Is that the only piston we have seen have pinking damage? How sure are you that there wasn't another malfunction? Faulty injector, dodgy sensor, incorrect/too hot plug. Pinking looks like corrosion on the piston, is there a pic of the crown?

Same as Rota wheels really - one picture and everyone is up in arms.

Here is a picture of an F20C I was removing at the weekend. It was run on 95RON

IMG_20160716_114554_zpsa3nw9hse.jpg

I'll put a tank on the dyno and listen out for det. I have yet to see a standard UK based car or bike that is NA need SUL.

What does the manual say to put in it? I know litigation errs on teh side of caution, and I know the US manual says 91 (which is 95). We had a clio 1.2 once that said Super Unleaded only too :)

The manual says to put 98 in it, but also says it san be ran for short periods of time on 95 when 98 isn't available. Apparently the knock sensors aren't very accurate after 5000 RPM and this is where the problem stems from. I'm sure there are plenty of cars running 95 and haven't exploded yet, the ROI guys are testament to this, but I prefer to follow the guidance of the manual to lower the risk of future problems.

HR 350Z's and 370Z's don't have any problems running on 95 because their knock sensors work throughout the rev range.

I'm far from an expert, but I'm sure Mark@Abbey would be happy to explain this again and he has done many times in the past.

Shell v power is priced at 7p per litre more than normal unleaded. Using my fuel calc and the figures from my zeds usage over that time it's worked out that 10000 miles would need 2268litres of fuel. I did some spirited driving and some motorway. So a good average. Ranges from 14 mpg to 31 mpg.

Therefore 2268litres of fuel would cost £160 more. It's not really a bank breaker esp when you consider you're driving a 30k sports car.

• Like 2

For the record, when my dad's borrowed my Zed to head off to the coast, I can tell with a few minutes if he has tried to sneak in standard petrol by the lumpiness of the power delivery in the lower range. In my car certainly it makes the world of a difference.