What else could cause smoke....

-Bradders-

Right so as you know my engine was rebuilt. Everything except for the Valves and the pistons where replaced. and i mean everything, every bolt, gasket, seal you can think of was replaced, oil pump water pump, chains etc.. everything. heads skimmed crank reground polished etc..

So anyway, car drives sweet. However, its still the same as before and still smokes. I've replaced the PCV valve which was blowing both ways, but its not made a difference, where could the oil be going?? Its smoking when hard driven over 5k+ rpm.

Before you ask, i drove it like miss daisy for 1000 miles before driving hard so its not like i didnt run it in lol.

Just want to find out if anything else breather wise can fail? Or could it be caused by the valves? they were all checked and resealed/reground etc..

thanks in advance.

Brad.

Right so cars got blueish/more white than blue smoke, oil level dropping fast, has straight through decats on it, have hooned it the 2nd thousand miles lol. will do another oil change tomorrow night as i noticed it was dirty again after the hoon around scotland!

but it has to be valve related i suppose? Valve stem seals where replaced. one was really worn which we thought was the whole cause.

Right so cars got blueish/more white than blue smoke, oil level dropping fast, has straight through decats on it, have hooned it the 2nd thousand miles lol. will do another oil change tomorrow night as i noticed it was dirty again after the hoon around scotland!

but it has to be valve related i suppose? Valve stem seals where replaced. one was really worn which we thought was the whole cause.

With that comment I have highlighted surely a head gasket, or crack?

New gasket, block and heads were pressure tested for cracks etc..

Was honed by the builder not the machinist.

Where they std rings that where fitted? i wold also presume that the valve guides where also replaced? as said if the hone was not done correctly the rings will not bed in and this can cause oil burning, it should show up on a compression test but, leak down will be a better indicator of a good/bad seal.

• Like 1

New gasket, block and heads were pressure tested for cracks etc..

I have a Mazda Bongo which are prone to heads cracking, mine did this recently, the garage suggested a pressure test wasnt entirely accurate as they cannot test it hot, so whilst it might show fine cold, once up to temp its a different story. Disclaimer to not knowing whether this is strictly accurate.

When I first got mine Brad, the guy I bought it off told me it never used any oil between services. I check my oil regularly and it was using a load, no smoke that I noticed though. The guys at my bro's Porsche tuners who have in the past built a few DE's and really know their stuff, reckon it was because the previous owners had 'driven Miss Daisy ' and the rings were not properly worn in until I'd got it (even at 66000Mls) and my driving style is coming from an FTO MIVEC which needs thrashing to the redline of 8300RPM to exploit it. Now the oil consumption has stablised to - not very much. I still redline it constantly and it uses less and less every 1000 miles. I hope this scenario is what's up with yours after all that time. effort and money :teeth:

When I first got mine Brad, the guy I bought it off told me it never used any oil between services. I check my oil regularly and it was using a load, no smoke that I noticed though. The guys at my bro's Porsche tuners who have in the past built a few DE's and really know their stuff, reckon it was because the previous owners had 'driven Miss Daisy ' and the rings were not properly worn in until I'd got it (even at 66000Mls) and my driving style is coming from an FTO MIVEC which needs thrashing to the redline of 8300RPM to exploit it. Now the oil consumption has stablised to - not very much. I still redline it constantly and it uses less and less every 1000 miles. I hope this scenario is what's up with yours after all that time. effort and money :teeth:

After scotland.... i think it has been thrashed beyond its means lol.