Car cleaning products?

Hi guys and gals

What products would you lovely people recommend for cleaning my zed my bro suggested meguiars but not sure as new to all of this stuff?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a question..

Depends how far you want to go and how deep your pockets are...

Personally I use auto finesse, but that's mainly because a good friend of mine is an approved AF detailer, lots of tips and help from him.

Very happy with the results fairly priced in my opinion.

• Like 1

I just want to start to clean my own car as not really done anything like this before. I usually take it to the car wash chaps around the corner and now I have a really nice car it might be nice to take some pride in it myself.

My advice would be to read up on good cleaning practices,

two buckets. Mitt rather than sponge.

Drying with a drying towel.

In the mean time spend some time reading up on:

removing contamination- claying

Polish

Wax.

If you're not into spending all day find a good detailer let them do the hard work then you just need good cleaning practices and the occasional top up with a decent wax to protect.

The really deep stunning finishes are achieved in the preparation stages and would require a machine. Hence the detailer suggestion.

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 1

If you just want to wash it, I'd suggest buying the following basics below - the links are just examples of decent stuff I found in 2 minutes, not "must haves". You will get 20 suggestions for each one of these items if you ask, as it is a very personal thing.

2x decent sized buckets (one for your soapy water and one for rinsing your mitt) like these or bigger

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-clear-wash-bucket-cat3.html

1x wash mitt

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/gyeon-q2m-smoothie-cat3.html

A decent dedicated car shampoo

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/car-wash-shampoos/meguiars-gold-class-shampoo/prod_109.html

A decent, soft drying towel

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-luxury-drying-towel-cat5.html

If you're going mad, also get some wheel woollies for getting in the wheels

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-luxury-spoke-back-woolie-cat4.html

Also a third bucket and use it for the wheels only and perhaps even a dedicated wheel cleaner.

Get that lot and you're well on your way to clean paint and doing minimal damage during your wash.

If you've not got a pressure washer, suggest a sensible starting process might be:

Rinse the car off with a hose, shifting any loose dirt

Chuck the wash mitt in one bucket and fill with soapy water

Fill the other bucket with just water

Wash one panel at a time with the soapy mitt

Rinse the mitt in your rinse bucket after each panel

Soak the mitt in the soapy water bucket

Repeat this cycle until every panel and the glass is done - rinsing the mitt after each section.

Do, start at the top of the car and work down.

Do, rinse the whole car with an open ended hose when you're done washing.

Do, dry with your drying towel - not the sunshine

Do, the whole thing out of direct sunlight if you can. This avoids it drying too quickly and leaving water spots.

If you must do it in the sun, keep rinsing the car as you go round and keep it wet. If you let water and or soap suds dry on the paint, you're just making your own life harder!

Your basic wash is now done, but if you go for the wheel woollies, do the wheels first or last, but seperate to your paint.

NEVER mix anything that goes on your wheels with anything that goes on your paint, hence the separate wheel bucket and woollies above.

NEVER put your paint washmitt in the wheel bucket or on your wheels, the dirt on wheels is metallic and will scratch your paint for fun.

Enjoy :)

• Like 1

The megs products are a good starting point, particularly as they are easily available from halfrauds!

Once you delve a bit deeper into cleaning/waxing etc you will start to branch out into other products. That's what happened to me.

Check out detailing world forum. Lots of good help and advise.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps loads to think about there going to be a journey for me as the wife says if I start doing this I will have to sort her car out haha 😩

A partner or relative's car is perfect for practicing on, before you do an important car ;)

• Like 3

Sign up to detailingworld forum and get reading, start with the basics and work your way up, your desire for a good clean will find its natural point, I just invested in a DA polisher, I suspect it wont stop there...

• Like 1

Another vote for Megs from halfrauds. Especially if they still have their 3 for 2 going. Can get everything you need for 3 stage for not too much outlay.

Having never been into car detailing before myself this is what I went for and it's done me ok so far.

You can get the megs clay bar kit from halfrauds too.

The only thing I think they are actually missing from their stock list is decent microfibres. The ones they have seem to fall to bits whenever I wash them so I am gonna invest in some better quality ones.

I now enjoy washing the car every weekend. Neighbours think I am mad that I am out there regardless of weather and Claire thinks I am nuts as sometimes I don't even use the car in the week and it still gets a once over, "to clear the garage dust off".

• Like 1

Another vote for Megs from halfrauds. Especially if they still have their 3 for 2 going. Can get everything you need for 3 stage for not too much outlay.

Having never been into car detailing before myself this is what I went for and it's done me ok so far.

You can get the megs clay bar kit from halfrauds too.

The only thing I think they are actually missing from their stock list is decent microfibres. The ones they have seem to fall to bits whenever I wash them so I am gonna invest in some better quality ones.

I now enjoy washing the car every weekend. Neighbours think I am mad that I am out there regardless of weather and Claire thinks I am nuts as sometimes I don't even use the car in the week and it still gets a once over, "to clear the garage dust off".

Get yourself to macro or Costco the plush micro fibre cloths all the car show sellers sell at 5 for £6 are £12 + vat for a pack of 36 lol

• Like 1

Please, never ever ever touch your car's paintwork with a Costco MF. I do have a large pack of them, but they're used strictly for the dirty jobs (engine bay, arches etc) or the glass.

They're cheap for a reason, and I've seen them mar paintwork before if you accidentally grab the wrong one during correction :blush:

• Like 1

Please, never ever ever touch your car's paintwork with a Costco MF. I do have a large pack of them, but they're used strictly for the dirty jobs (engine bay, arches etc) or the glass.

They're cheap for a reason, and I've seen them mar paintwork before if you accidentally grab the wrong one during correction :blush:

Yup. GSM is too low. Learned the hard way

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1