Really need some help to pick these Rays correctly....

Flashback

Hi Everyone,

I've finally managed to raid the piggy bank and be able to get some nice new wheels and I'm really in love with these Rays CE28N 10 spokes in Formula Silver with Diamond cut rim. It looks like they are available in a variety of 18 inch configs and I'm trying to get some help with what I should be getting.

VRCE28N10.jpg

I have read the Idiots Guide to Wheels and Offset and think I get the general picture, but I'm really struggling with what sort of offset would be right for my zed. I use my car daily for work and so not really looking to lower it, so I'm guessing that the ET 20-25 range is about right?

What I'm thinking of is to maybe get a staggered set up of these with say 8.5" fronts and 9.5" rears, does this mean I need different offsets on each?

Then bearing that all in mind the Rays catalogues and sizing charts really confuse me as they start talking about Inset rather than offset and now I have no clue on how I should relate that bit and read the Rays charts. The wheels aren't cheap so I don't want to get it wrong at all.

Can anyone help me out at least to get a better idea of what I'd need, or how I can work this stuff out? :wacko:

Really appreciate any advice as I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to this stuff.

Cheers! :D

Mark Ng (bulletmagnet) had rays on his zed they looked very good and he had it setup well without lowering etc.

from memory he went 9.5 front 10.5 rear for the decent look from the rear (nice wide meaty tyres) don't know what offsets he ran but he didn't need spacers or alterations; I think he also ran them in 19" format not 18"

• Like 1

Thanks RTbiscuit good advice I'll drop him a PM to see how he had it setup and what wheels.

I've PMed Mitz for some advice too.

I spoke to Coordsport about these wheels as I thought there was a 19" version, but they are telling me 18" are the largest available.

He had Volk SF challenge wheels 19" 9.5 front 10.5 rear with I think a +23 offset all round with 255X35X19 AND 285X35X19 tyres

can also be run as

19x8.5 +21 with 245/35/19

19.9.5 +23 with 285/30/19

but double check as this is based on memory.

Just some advice for the future.

If you're not lowering it, go 18's. 19's wont fill the arch any more than 18's, and it will just look like a monster truck!

Don't go too skinny or you'll never sell these on. if you're going 8.5/9/.5 then as Kyle said, go for ET12 ish.

OTherwise I'd say 9.5/10.5.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys, so really I should probably look at wider wheels and then work out the offset to go for based on that.

Dies anyone know how to work out what the offset is equivalent to inset which is what the Rays catalogue gives?

This is what I see and I'm finding confusing... http://www.part-box.com/images/rays/vrce28n10i.jpg

@Kyle I saw 19s on Google too and some US sites like Vivid racing, but coordsport are the UK master distributor and they are saying up to 18s only available.

@Paddy Yes they do look really nice! í ½í±í ½í¸€

Thanks for all the input guys, so really I should probably look at wider wheels and then work out the offset to go for based on that.

Dies anyone know how to work out what the offset is equivalent to inset which is what the Rays catalogue gives?

This is what I see and I'm finding confusing... http://www.part-box.com/images/rays/vrce28n10i.jpg

@Kyle I saw 19s on Google too and some US sites like Vivid racing, but coordsport are the UK master distributor and they are saying up to 18s only available.

@Paddy Yes they do look really nice! í ½í±í ½í¸€

To add to the confusion you need to make sure you get the right size to clear the front brembos, usually referred to as disc, lo disc or high disc for example.

I would be seeking the advise of the distributor, if they cant help or offer you the right advise, i wouldnt want to be using them and find someone else who can.

I used to run...

Five axis, 5AD, S5:F Wheels

back: 22 offset, 10.5 wide, 295 30 r19

front: 25 offset, 9.5 wide, 265 30 r19

GLFWs6M.png

I put 305 on the rear later and it was fine even lowered a tiny bit... until I changed tyre brand and then it rubbed, thus arches needed rolled. Worth remembering that different tyres have different shapes to them.

Everyone loved the steam roller look though :teeth:

Edited by Husky

Ok so that answer the inset to offset thing - hooray to BobbyZ. :teeth:

@Jetpilot I think I have the Brake clearance covered as there are sysmbols that mean 'will clear brakes' on the catclogue, so I'll just look at the ones that say Z33 cleared.

but as for the disti, I spoke to Co-ordsport who are the master disti and what I got back wasn't very useful, they just said pick ones that fit! :help:

I was a bit surprised at that, but will give them one more try.

They've stopped producing wheels and kits now, makes your wheels super rare

who did you sell to in the end?

Hmm some guy from here, they went for not as much as I'd have liked tbh as no one was interested at the time. Not seen them since, no idea where they are now and unless someone else went to the trouble and imported some they would be one of a kind in the UK still.

Man, this makes me really sad, their wheels are just amazing. They were mainly a concept car designer though, I'm assuming they got too busy with that and couldn't keep the wheels going at the same time.

They've stopped producing wheels and kits now, makes your wheels super rare

who did you sell to in the end?

Hmm some guy from here, they went for not as much as I'd have liked tbh as no one was interested at the time. Not seen them since, no idea where they are now and unless someone else went to the trouble and imported some they would be one of a kind in the UK still.

Man, this makes me really sad, their wheels are just amazing. They were mainly a concept car designer though, I'm assuming they got too busy with that and couldn't keep the wheels going at the same time.

check out the website

I used to run...

Five axis, 5AD, S5:F Wheels

back: 22 offset, 10.5 wide, 295 30 r19

front: 25 offset, 9.5 wide, 265 30 r19

GLFWs6M.png

I put 305 on the rear later and it was fine even lowered a tiny bit... until I changed tyre brand and then it rubbed, thus arches needed rolled. Worth remembering that different tyres have different shapes to them.

Everyone loved the steam roller look though :teeth:

Lovely look to them by the way husky!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right so the mighty Rays Jpn have come back to say that they are a 3 month lead time and that if I go 9.5 / 10.5 then I can only do this in bronze as its the only colour that they do the 10.5 in. Such a selection of colours! As I have an Azure 350 I'm not sure sure I like this look, so either I'll have to go thinner to get the colour or start looking again.

On the wheel sizes they have these:

Volk%20CE28N%2010%20spoke%20Specs%202016%20Catalogue_zpsr2xcguzc.jpg

Which would mean it would have to be 8.5 / 9.5 if I did get them but what do you guys think? Is that really too skinny - just thinking about what Grundy said previously?

I wouldn't know about selling them on, but I'd imagine that you could find a buyer for a quality set of wheels like this. I would personally think about getting the right sizes for what you want. Obviously narrower wheels will be less flush with the arches with the same offset, but as grundy also said, to achieve a good filled arch look you'd really want to lower it a bit.