Mortgage help - employer in administration

you only get redundancy pay if you have nothing to go to.

having just been through it in my department, they only pay out if you haven't found a job, my colleague found employment before the deadline so therefore was not classed as redundancy but as natural wastage (how convenient)

Actually that's not true, once the employer has said in writing that "you personally (i.e: not consultation) are being made redundant on date X", assuming you work until X they must pay you the redundancy, if you find another job after receiving that letter then you can try to negotiate an earlier end date by way of a "redundancy counter notice". The company can then either accept the earlier date, do nothing which is the same as accepting, or they can send a counter notice themselves declining the earlier date. Even if the company refuses the earlier date, they have to do so reasonably and an employment tribunal can decide against them if it's unreasonable (bit of a grey area there mind).

Reading: https://www.simplifythelaw.co.uk/dealing-employers/redundancy/employee-redundancy-new-job

I'm so glad i live 'up north'.

We bought our first house last year. It was a 'modest' £265k, but it's a large 5-bed with double garage in a nice but cheap area. We had some friends from London come and visit and they were really p***ed off, saying it would have cost about £1M where they live!

...just move up here and buy a nice house outright!

Ssssh! we don't want the southerners up here driving prices up!

I'd only end up with 6k. Not worth waiting for redundancy. PS I'm 34 :p

Taking a chance on the job. However if it's still there once I've had my interview he'll still give it to me. Hopefully the interesting job get back to me sharpish. So either way I might kinda win.

34! Man your best days are behind you...... ;)

• Like 1

you only get redundancy pay if you have nothing to go to.

having just been through it in my department, they only pay out if you haven't found a job, my colleague found employment before the deadline so therefore was not classed as redundancy but as natural wastage (how convenient)

you can sometimes be clever, have heard of people picking up the redundancy check and then the next day walking into another job.

I should note this was in education; the real world may be different

I can only relate to my experience in 1980, the complete opposite actually. When British Steel made 5,000 redundant at Shotton Steelworks, those who had another job to go were given priority for redundancy payments. Although my job as a Chemist was safe I decided to look around for another job before applying for redundancy. I soon found another job working for an oil company on 7.5k a year, a grand more than I was getting at B.S.C. I then asked my boss to consider me for redundancy but he said they'd already reached their redundancy target but he'd see what he could do, I decided to leave anyway as I figured it was only a matter of time before there were more redundancies and handed in my notice, My boss said that he was working on it as a special case, aided by my union who took up my case. He sat on my notice and one day before I was due to leave told me I'd won my case...so I got a 12k payoff and a grand a year rise :)

Pete

Take redundancy, if it's due. Spend several K on training to be an Auto Electrical mechanic.

Article on Radio 4 last week on how the industry is going to boom, and there's a huge shortage of trained techs. They do training courses. Basic to advanced.

Make hay while the sun shines and kill two birds with one stone.

My flat in a lovely little village called Meriden supposed to be centre of England was 130,000 7 years ago

And is worth exactly the same now :(

Yet the prices of houses here are racing out of reach

I used to deliver pizza to meridan it was the furthest point out that perfect pizza in Coventry did. :lol: