350Z (HR) vs 370Z Crail Banzai

AMT

Quick wee video of today at Crail, met this nice guy in the 370. Good close race, both of us seemed to get a good start and the 70' using its little bit more power to pull ahead. Crackin' lookin Zed. (ESP off for both of us).

Was wet in the morning but kinda dried up later on. My best of the day ended up being a 14.4 @ 102 mph

https://youtu.be/ZFMH5F50PnA

Edited by AMT
  • Like 3

Quick wee video of today at Crail, met this nice guy in the 370. Good close race, both of us seemed to get a good start and the 70' using its little bit more power to pull ahead. Crackin' lookin Zed. (ESP off for both of us).

Was wet in the morning but kinda dried up later on. My best of the day ended up being a 14.4 @ 102 mph

https://youtu.be/ZFMH5F50PnA

Very close! Looks like a good day.

To be fair he had cambered the wheels or something he had said to me so dunno if that makes too much of a difference. He said he had previous before changing bits on it put down a 13.2 1/4 mile, both engines were stock though.

Was nice to meet you!

It was a very close race, my quickest of the day was a 14.1

And I was telling fibs, I looked it up, Banzai 2014 was my first 1/4 mile with the 370z and my best was 13.8, not 13.2 :surrender:

And the camber on the rear is my fall back excuse haha, its not that cambered really...

370z%20cove%20front_zpsznrqeivw.jpg

• Like 1

13.2 -13.3 seems to be the norm for 370's imo , I managed a 13.0 last year in my car with just bolt on mods and a map, tyres are crucial though . I'm hoping for mid 12's this year ;)

Hey mate, yep was good to meet you too, I was running MPSS. I'm sure there could be more to be had than 14.4 out of an HR but possibly not in my hands haha. Great race and a great video of your car :thumbs: haha. Only annoying part of the day was loosing to a stage 1 260bhp Focus ST. I can genuinely say I got a crap start and just 'thudded' off the ground as it set off. Should have won it but didn't lol. I did try and line up with some stuff more equal but was harder than it looked... was either gonna be stuff too slow or ridiculous speed EVO's, so had to settle for some Type R's etc lol...and a starlet at one point haha.

Heres some other vids I've uploaded, can't be bothered doing them all takes ages.

This ones the 350' against a Type R, not the best start but I didn't need to really worry about that lol....

https://youtu.be/kXCe2rRksTg

And heres one of you in your 370 mate against something you didn't need to worry about, as can be heard from my voice ..."you better win this...." haha.

https://youtu.be/oGAnIiyY1Hk

:thumbs:

Edited by AMT

Hey mate, yep was good to meet you too, I was running MPSS. I'm sure there could be more to be had than 14.4 out of an HR but possibly not in my hands haha. Great race and a great video of your car :thumbs: haha. Only annoying part of the day was loosing to a stage 1 260bhp Focus ST. I can genuinely say I got a crap start and just 'thudded' off the ground as it set off. Should have won it but didn't lol. I did try and line up with some stuff more equal but was harder than it looked... was either gonna be stuff too slow or ridiculous speed EVO's, so had to settle for some Type R's etc lol...and a starlet at one point haha.

What's the spec on your car mate? Stock 350? Or modded?

Out of interest, what technique do you use off the line? And do you just bang gear changes through as fast as you can? I did racing starts in my own car before (Caterham Academy) and it always felt a bit brutal.

Technique was.... don't break my car lol. Gear changes were quick but they weren't slammed in. For the last few year at Banzai I've always kept the ESP on and been a bit rough with it, tried it off once and just it 'scudded' off the ground as the wheels spun and bounced :lol:, but this year I decided to do all the races with it off and just progressively put the throttle down in 1st gear, once your in 2nd its ok. I wasn't fussed for reaction times I'd rather get it as smooth as possible, keep my bloody clutch! and then when its in 2nd hoof it. ,....worked lol (except on the modded ST where I got too jumpy and pushed a bit hard, lighting up the rears lol). You just gotta resist the temptation to plant it in first, you put it down a bit, see how it feels and apply pressure from there at whatever rate keeps the car movin' :thumbs: Wee learning curve for me but I managed it not bad.

Oh and in terms of being brutal it'll always feel like that in the Z, there rough feeling things to do such starts with. I held it on the handbrake and either tapped at the throttle or if I thought there wasn't long to go found a bit of bite, dropped the handbrake and went... but didn't slam it down, almost as if you were picking away quickly. Wanted to keep that clutch so just relied on the power after taking off to get me through.

Edited by AMT
  • Like 2

Yeah a working car is always good :D surprised you tried with TC on before. I've always found it cuts way too much power at the slightest hint of slip, even just pulling out of a junction quickly.

First year I went in 2013 and it was my first time so was just unsure. Previous two years were wet or damp so left it on anyway, just decided this year to give it a bash and mostly paid off.

Heres the Focus... a lesson in how not to do a good ESP off start. You can hear the car scuddin' off the tarmac lol

https://youtu.be/7gdikT8kzfQ

Edited by AMT