short shifter

Stu R

"you are bidding a brand new short shifter kit for a nissan 350z

it comes with all the parts you need for easy fit and can decrease the gear change up to 40%

the kit is made from good quality steel and looks the b*****ks"

- how can a short shifter 'look' the bollocks? would anyone recommend getting a short shifter fitted?

Shifting in the Z is already quite stiff.. short shifter wud make even more so.. :dry:

I thought that too but:

The 350 factory set-up is a relatively stiff, moderate force one. I prefer a significantly lighter force shifter where I can feel each gate. It also gives me much faster, more precise gear changes. Generally, if you find yourself missing shifts, you've got too heavy a shifter, forcing you to use too much muscle (when you ham-fist the shifter, it's harder to feel the gates).

My bet about those who complain about a heavier (more effort) shift is that it was improperly installed. I can install any shifter such that King Kong couldn't shift gears. The trick is to tune the shift feel to the driver -- you can give it about any shift force you want. Additionally, during the install, you have to make sure that everything is all properly aligned so it glides into each gate without hanging up.

When I help other folks out with a short shifter install, I have them shift through all the gears while I'm under the car making small adjustments until they have the exact feel that suits them. Try to find a garage who will do that for you.

The shifter in the '03 is titanium and in the '91, stainless steel.

Go to this link for my install write-up (steps 15-19 are the keys):

http://zchickz.com/qshift1.htm

I'm tempted to try and get mine adjusted as its quite stiff and Amanda moans about the shift being too heavy. Keep meaning to ask Tere how to just lighten up the shift action, as I cant quite work it out from the link. Think it would be a nice summer day job :thumbs:

I now realise what the auction meant by 'looks the bollocks'. I first read it as if somebody would have stepped in my zed and remarked "hey bro, sweet short shifter". But now I realise the auctioneer was talking about the overall finish of the product. :headhurt:

I'm tempted to try and get mine adjusted as its quite stiff and Amanda moans about the shift being too heavy. Keep meaning to ask Tere how to just lighten up the shift action, as I cant quite work it out from the link. Think it would be a nice summer day job :thumbs:
Real fine... Do you have difficulty hitting the gate too? :D

Nope the action is nice and smooth, just a little heavy :blush:

:shutup:

:shutup:

We'll get back on track on day :surrender:

• 3 weeks later...

The amount of times i've missed a gear change or had to fight with the gear box...

I'm seriously looking for an after market solution for this, I don't think just a short shifter will remedy how brash the gears are in the zed..

The amount of times i've missed a gear change or had to fight with the gear box...

I'm seriously looking for an after market solution for this, I don't think just a short shifter will remedy how brash the gears are in the zed..

Hmmm. Never had that problem.

Hmmm. Never had that problem.

THIS might help :shutup:

Yeh I'm just not happy with the gear box.

I've previously been driving vx220's and elises which are just a dream compared to the zeds gearbox, theres no immediacy and it might just be mine but its super stiff.

i know i shouldnt expect elise performance out of the gearbox but something is wrong.

I've previously been driving vx220's and elises which are just a dream compared to the zeds gearbox, theres no immediacy and it might just be mine but its super stiff.

i know i shouldnt expect elise performance out of the gearbox but something is wrong.

Might be worth getting it checked before you go the shortshifter route. I'm happy to have a go and let you know if its any different to mine.

Having both in the house, I would say that they are very different, both good but both have a tricky gear.

Generally I would say that 1st to 2nd in the Zed can be iffy, and in the Elise reverse always needs care.

The Zed does have a longer throw, but it certainly isn't stiff. The Elise box is good but it doesn't show the Zed one up. I would possibly get the Zed checked. :thumbs:

If you're having trouble with first to second, something's not quite right. Are you hanging up to the right or left of the gate?

Left of the gate might require adjustment of the guide plate.

Right of the gate, and presuming a right-hand drive, try rotating your hand 180 degrees clockwise so the shifter rides the guide plate down into the gate (the technique will also work for downshifts from 3rd to 2nd). I use this technique on left-hand drive going from 5th to 6th.