short shifter

Stu R

If you're having trouble with first to second, something's not quite right. Are you hanging up to the right or left of the gate?

Left of the gate might require adjustment of the guide plate.

Right of the gate, and presuming a right-hand drive, try rotating your hand 180 degrees clockwise so the shifter rides the guide plate down into the gate (the technique will also work for downshifts from 3rd to 2nd). I use this technique on left-hand drive going from 5th to 6th.

It feels like something catches on the right of gate, not always but certainly when cold.

As for turning my hand 180 degrees, I'm not sure I can do that without some pain! Not quite sure what you mean.... :blush:

A new stumpier gearknob actually has the same effect too!

Wouldn't buy a cheapo short shifter kit.

only partially true

a lower gear knob gives a slight change to the throw because the lever is now shorter. A true short shift kit changes the actual fulcrum point. A proper short shift kit should not increase shifting effort at all....that is strictly due to the install of the shifter. You can even "tune" a stock shifter to go from butter smooth to absolutely impossible

we've got our own that we developed over the course of the past 5 months, and I'll be posting details about it shortly!

A new stumpier gearknob actually has the same effect too!

Wouldn't buy a cheapo short shifter kit.

only partially true

a lower gear knob gives a slight change to the throw because the lever is now shorter. A true short shift kit changes the actual fulcrum point. A proper short shift kit should not increase shifting effort at all....that is strictly due to the install of the shifter. You can even "tune" a stock shifter to go from butter smooth to absolutely impossible

we've got our own that we developed over the course of the past 5 months, and I'll be posting details about it shortly!

hmm sounds interesting, looking forward to hearing about it :)

If you're having trouble with first to second, something's not quite right. Are you hanging up to the right or left of the gate?

Right of the gate, and presuming a right-hand drive, try rotating your hand 180 degrees clockwise so the shifter rides the guide plate down into the gate (the technique will also work for downshifts from 3rd to 2nd). I use this technique on left-hand drive going from 5th to 6th.

It feels like something catches on the right of gate, not always but certainly when cold.

As for turning my hand 180 degrees, I'm not sure I can do that without some pain! Not quite sure what you mean.... :blush:

I was assuming you shift with your hand on the left side of the shifter (most do), so it's about 180 clockwise so your hand is now on the right side (or right side of center), thumb facing down. This forces the shifter to ride the guide plate down to the gate. If your hand is on the left side of the shifter you're almost guaranteed to hit right of the gate, particularly if you're getting a little spirited (basic ergonometrics) because you will naturally pull the shifter more toward the 4th gear gate.

Less shift force almost always gets you cleaner shifts.

Winter time before everything has had a chance to warm up, yeah, the tranny will be a little notchy, but everything should fall into place in a mile or so.

I was assuming you shift with your hand on the left side of the shifter (most do), so it's about 180 clockwise so your hand is now on the right side (or right side of center), thumb facing down. This forces the shifter to ride the guide plate down to the gate. If your hand is on the left side of the shifter you're almost guaranteed to hit right of the gate, particularly if you're getting a little spirited (basic ergonometrics) because you will naturally pull the shifter more toward the 4th gear gate.

Winter time before everything has had a chance to warm up, yeah, the tranny will be a little notchy, but everything should fall into place in a mile or so.

Spot on Tere. :thumbs: That's the way I've always changed from 1st to 2nd.

2nd to 3rd is with the palm with very little effort.

3rd to 4th with the tips of your fingers.

4th to 5th to 6th thumb up.

Exactly! Since I have a left-hand drive, it's a little different but essentially the same concepts of variations in hand placements for shifting. Once you practice with it, it becomes very natural and you'll run it right in the gate every time, even with all that adrenaline pumping. :D

Ah, I getchya! However, I have my hand on the top of the gear stick, which is why when you said turn my hand 180 degrees I thought you wanted me to sit on the passenger side dashboard!! :lol::blush:

I have just started pushing it to the left side of the gate a little more firmly now, so thanks for the help. :thumbs: