Rear plate bulbs

AMT

Ok so my rear plate bulbs ..or one of them anyway has died so was gonna replace the two at the same time. Can anybody recommend the brighter LED or whatever they are ones that would just go right in but still do a good job of lighting up the plate? Are they legal? (Assuming so since they seem to be on a lot of bmws now).

Thanks for any help

Perfectly legal and can make your Zed look a lot newer imo. ;)

I ended up getting something similar to these from eBay but they're plenty to choose from on there if you type in "501 LED" or "501 Canbus error free LED".

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-501-W5W-CAR-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-5-SMD-LED-XENON-WHITE-ICE-BLU-/151796555804?var=&hash=item2357c7a01c:m:mTX1f80J2q_6aUxoFPfTHVQ

• Like 1

Do LED ones just go straight into the normal bulb holder?

Edit: just had a look online. I might change the interior ones too. Anybody recommend interior ones too the ones above the rear view mirror. And also are the bulbs the same for the boot light or is that a different type?

Thanks for the help again

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by AMT

Do LED ones just go straight into the normal bulb holder?

Edit: just had a look online. I might change the interior ones too. Anybody recommend interior ones too the ones above the rear view mirror. And also are the bulbs the same for the boot light or is that a different type?

Thanks for the help again

Got my dome ones from Evo-r when I was ordering some other goodies. Expensive for LEDs but they look decent. http://www.evo-r.net/product/LED-DOME/

Be super careful with the dome lights, very easy to short with some LEDs and then you've got a BCM issue to solve.

A little mod, with a big bang. LEDs for the dome.

The kit.

IMG_2798_zpscf654e73.jpg

Quick Test.

IMG_2807_zps2e1357d5.jpg

Done.

IMG_2809_zps3340400c.jpg

They're not quite as blue as they appear in the photo and the light is a bit more diffuse than these would suggest. Very pleased.

• Like 1

Just been searching online and a lot of these white LED lights say for off road or show and not legal for public roads?? (Including this 501 thing)

Tbh I wouldn't worry about that with these small 501 bulbs (if we were talking HIDS or something then yes) ~ no Police Officer in the country is going to pull you because your number plate is too visible at night due to your bright 501 LED bulbs. :dry::lol:

Fyi ~ all the LED bulbs will fit in the standard holders providing the numbers collaborate with the OEM numbers. E.g. 501 bulb ~ 501 LED.

The LED's are polarity sensitive (+ & - poles) so if you put an LED bulb into a bulb holder & it doesn't work turn it around to try it the other way before thinking it doesn't work.

LED's will imo also make your car look more modern as the light given off is bright & crisp as appose to a dull yellow from the normal bulbs. Also instant on/off. ;)

• Like 2

Yep well happy with them. Simple little thing but makes a difference. Also gave me a chance to clean the casings...they were covered in fine dirt.

I did the same thing when I did mine.

If you haven't already make sure you have a good look in the dark to see the real difference ~ maybe silly but I felt it took years of the cars age looks wise. :)

Yeah just did it not long ago there and its dark...well...obviously. The interior ones are they the ones with the metal points at either side and is there an issue ill blow something if I touch the wrong thing. Kept seeing it on utube vids??

Yeah just did it not long ago there and its dark...well...obviously. The interior ones are they the ones with the metal points at either side and is there an issue ill blow something if I touch the wrong thing. Kept seeing it on utube vids??

The interior ones are called "festoon" bulbs and I think from memory they are around 36mm long (although it's so easy to take your old ones out it'd be easier just to check the size before ordering any just to be 100% sure).

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-3-SMD-LED-36mm-239-272-CANBUS-ERROR-WHITE-NUMBER-PLATE-LIGHT-FESTOON-BULB-UK-/120906569149?hash=item1c2697d5bd:m:mmg1RFfo5ekKCCIv15EMHsA

I replaced mine with LED's and managed not to have any problems or blow any fuses. I did find this thread relating to what you said though: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/76275-changing-interior-lights-to-led-blown-fuse-what-fuse/

Oh and if you want to replace the boot light bulb that's a 501 bulb too the same as your number plate bulbs & sidelights so another cheap easy upgrade. ;)

• Like 1

Just looked at that thread, lights going off everywhere and radios etc... I'll stick with a 'yellow' interior. I barely use them anyway unless I've dropped money down the side of the damn seat lol

Edited by AMT

Oh on the subject of lights, just out of curiousity... the rear HR lamps... if they go is it a full new unit or can you change the individual bulb led things. Reason I ask is that I thought I had saw the back of a unit online before and it was sealed?

It's a full unit mate, changed mine last year and it's definitely worth it. Clark Motorsports a trader here sells them, that's where I got mine.

As for the interior LEDs, my zed went crazy when I changed mine. Heated seats doesn't work, windows can only go down, can't go back up, can't lock my car...... Etc. Have to send it back to Nissan garage for an electronic reset. However, you can still do it safely by disconnecting the battery first, swap the LEDs, test them, if needed to switch the polarity, disconnect battery again.

Edited by veeg33

I've already got the LED ones as its an HR I've got I'm just wondering if one goes out can you put one back in or is it a full lamp. I'm gonna guess there full units too. The amount of fancy LED and light bar units in average cars now must mean a lot of unit replacements if something goes wrong, thats a bit crap is it not lol