Mishimoto Rad fouling on SC belt and hose

GeorgeB

OK, so the car's got a stillen SC. However the website says "Every Mishimoto aluminium radiator is a direct OEM fit, making installation effortless with no cutting or modification required"

http://www.mishimoto...adiator-03.html

That gives the impression that it will fit in the same space. I'm sure someone will point out, how does it cool better if it's the same size? I'm not rad expert but I can imagine that efficiency can be improved in the same space. Clearly that's not the case here; I know that now :)

The previous owner tells me coolant temps get up to about 110 C on a hot day with spirited driving. Thanks for the info Josh :)

So, thoughts on what I should do?

Are there other rad options that will fit?

Lower temp thermostat as Josh also mentioned?

Squeeze the Mishimoto in with a load of time/effort/money?

Would love to hear your ideas :)

Edited by GeorgeB

Here's the comments from Horsham..(not sure if pics 2/3 are in the right order)

Pic 1 shows the blower belt fouling on the bottom radiator hose

Pic 2 shows the radiator fouling the top blower hose

Pic 3 shows the same but note the position of the radiator mounts ie they are further forward than they should be

They also told me that the needed to get the blower out to get the rad in. So I think all of the fitting issues relate to the SC kit.

pic1_zpsnqnbvq4y.jpg

pic3_zpswftys957.jpg

pic2_zpsbxt70jcn.jpg

Edited by GeorgeB

Hey George you pot title is misleading as the issue is not with the rad.

I have the mishimoto rad with fan shroud with my vortech supercharger and actually got more room between the fan shroud and sc bits.

The rad is OEM fit as per it uses the OEM mounting points and will match the OEM shroud but of course it's 30% bigger.

It's not clear if you also got the mishimoto shroud which is slimmer than the bulky OEM one and shroud solve your issues. The fans are also uprated compared to the OEM.

If this was the case and you still lack room then you have to modify things to make it fit if you have cooling issues.

A koyo rad is probably better quality but will give you the same issue and uses the OEM shroud.

A low temp thermostat will not solve the problem as all it does is to open a bit earlier.

You can improve your cololing with using more water and also add a water wetter. Most coolants are a 50:50 mix of antifreeze/antirust and water but it's the that dies the cooling. In our climate you can use less antifreeze. I did not have cooling issues when sc'd but used 75:25 mix of motul inugel coolant and also a bottle of water wetter and my temp never go beyond the half mark on spirited driving or track.

Anyway the zed and especially the 370 suffer high engine oil temps when really canned or FI'ed and an oil cooler is a wise investment. Do you have one? This should be a priority as it will help your temp. The primary function of oil is cooling and lubrication.

Increasing oil capacity with a sump also improves cooling.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for such a detailed response GT4 Zed, community support on here is awesome! Is it possible for me to update the post title? I can't see a way.

Yes you are right the shroud is standard.

OK, so I'll get the standard rad put back in and have a play around with coolant options, failing that I'll have a look at the mishimoto shroud rad combination.

Looks like the important word was missed from here, could you fill the blank in please? Most coolants are a 50:50 mix of antifreeze/antirust and water but it's the ??? that dies the cooling

Is it possible for me to update the post title? I can't see a way.

Just click on "edit" in the bottom right hand corner of your first post and then go to "full edit" (I think it's called) and this will allow you to edit the title. :thumbs:

Re: Cooling ~ maybe it's different with your HR supercharged Zed but I never really saw any problems relating to radiator cooling on my old DE supercharged Zed which ran the standard radiator & fans. I did have a Nismo lower temp thermostat which I bought from Clark Motorsport but as GT4 mentioned all that does is open at a lower temp.

I did toy with the idea of getting the Mishimoto radiator but it would have definitely had to be with the Mishimoto radiator fans shroud as there was no room when looking with using the OEM shroud as you're discovering.

Hi,

Thanks for such a detailed response GT4 Zed, community support on here is awesome! Is it possible for me to update the post title? I can't see a way.

Yes you are right the shroud is standard.

OK, so I'll get the standard rad put back in and have a play around with coolant options, failing that I'll have a look at the mishimoto shroud rad combination.

Looks like the important word was missed from here, could you fill the blank in please? Most coolants are a 50:50 mix of antifreeze/antirust and water but it's the ??? that dies the cooling

"Does" ..... The cooling! Bloody auto fill🙀.

Koyo is better contruct but MM is adequate. The MM is also a 36mm core. I ran 470whp on my sc zed.

As mentioned improve your engine oil cooling if you haven't. I got the rad as security as o do mostly trackdays but I have a 19 row oil cooler and APS replica oil pan. Also used oil pan spacer which works well too.

Just to be clear is your 350 a DE or HR ?

He mentioned Josh above Alex so I think he's the member who bought Bodyboarder81's Zed which was an 08' HR Zed. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...harged-now-15k/

If that is the case, the MM rad. that he linked to his first post is for a DE.

So that will be an added fitment issue.

Just to be clear is your 350 a DE or HR ?

He mentioned Josh above Alex so I think he's the member who bought Bodyboarder81's Zed which was an 08' HR Zed. ;)

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...harged-now-15k/

If that is the case, the MM rad. that he linked to his first post is for a DE.

So that will be an added fitment issue.

Wonder if that's what the issue is?! :surrender: ..or if he just mistakenly put the wrong year/model link in. :dry:

Just click on "edit" in the bottom right hand corner of your first post and then go to "full edit" (I think it's called) and this will allow you to edit the title. :thumbs:

Been on this forum for years and never knew how to do this!!! THANK YOU! I can finally change some titles!

• Like 1

Been on this forum for years and never knew how to do this!!! THANK YOU! I can finally change some titles!

:lol: Glad I could help. :D

Fyi it's called "use full editor". ;)

• Like 1

Yep I bought this car from Bodyboarder81.

Apologies for any confusion, I just gave the wrong link! Car and rad are both HR.

When the SC was fitted the stillen oil cooler went on at the same time, along with high capacity greddy baffled sump.

So seems I'm best off adjusting the coolant to start with. 75:25 water:motul inugel coolant with water wetter. Just to be clear, I am supposed to put 75% water in aren't I (as opposed to more antifreeze / coolant) sorry for the dumb question! And failing that I'll look at the MM shroud.

And is this the water wetter? http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Thanks!!

Yes yes and yes but as I suggested earlier you have to optimise your oil cooling capacity first as this is an issue on FI'ed HR/VHR particularly.

So you got a larger Greddy sump but do you have an oil cooler?

There is no harm swapping the coolant but if you got the rad why not get the shroud which upgrades your fans sametime. The coolant + water wetter on its own will only knock off a few degrees but will not solve engine oil overheating issues which is what your coolant temp are reflecting.

Yep the stillen 25 row oil cooler is already in there. Horsham don't think that the thinner shroud will solve the fitting issue entirely (it will help some of it) . It will still need custom fabrication to stop from fouling the sc hose.

Is there a mishimoto shroud for the HR? I don't see one.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

That's not entirely true Rich. The OEM plastic shroud is very cumbersome and the OEM fans thicker so though the MM rad is thick it makes up for it with the thin shroud and slimline fans.

i can send a pic of my car now with the MM set up to show how much space there is.

I'll I know is there is way more space compared to std rad/shroud setup when I've installed vortech superchargers.

You have nothing to loose to trial it before starting any extensive mods. Just trying to help.

Just looked at a closer of the picture and see what you mean by the intake pipe touching. Why not route in through to the front as it looks like it's bending 90deg inwards towards the engine face. This pipe is just the air intake right.

Edited by GT4 Zed