Master brake cylinder brace - lets make one !

RobPhoboS

(apologies for massive pics!)

So, at the moment it seems like there are only LHD bracing options available for the 350z brake master cylinder, and these both make use of the strut tower mount.

Or there is the extremely pricey (but lovely) Carbing strut tower brace which incorporates an MBC brace, although I've no idea if they made it for RHD as well ?

If you're unfamiliar with what it does, well obviously it braces the MBC from moving, which in turn (theoretically) should give a firmer pedal feel.

'When you brake, the pressure in the line can cause the MBC's mounting the flex (not the MBC itself, usually). This is really common on older cars. Even at a standstill, when you stand on the brakes you can see the firewall flexing a little where the MBC is attached. The "stopper" stops the MBC from moving, improving pedal feel and response.'

'Ideally, you'd like the brace to run perpendicular to the motion you are trying to prevent. But the Stillen unit runs parallel to it. They did it that way due to the way the Z's strut towers are spaced, and to make for an easier install.'

I've been in contact with Z1, the biggest issue they have is that RHD cars are kind of rare in the USA, so for them to be able to create a batch is going to be near impossible I imagine.

So is anyone up for helping me out create something for our community at a fair price ?

Here are the ones manufactured for LHD, the Z1 looks like the best option to create something similar to it.

Z1 Motosports $138 (£95)

Z1Z33V35MasterCylinderBrace_01_zpspojszqwe.jpg

Z1Z33V35MasterCylinderBrace_05_zpsmgw2vaqj.jpg

Z1Z33V35MasterCylinderBrace_04_zpstjvh2cqu.jpg

Z1Z33V35MasterCylinderBrace_03_zpspupebaon.jpg

Z1Z33V35MasterCylinderBrace_02_zpsekmidova.jpg

Stillen $160 (£110)

stillen_brace_02_zpstrofiakn.jpg

stillen_brace_01_zpsohkpo0m4.jpg

• Like 1

This does eff all Robbo.

Just uprate your brakes the usual way. Better pads, disc, ss lines and fluids. You will have all the performance you need and if you want more get a BBK.

I will be putting my complete K sports BBK up for sale again as I only wanted to sell the fronts. Keep your eye out if interested.

• Like 1

This does eff all Robbo.

Just uprate your brakes the usual way. Better pads, disc, ss lines and fluids. You will have all the performance you need and if you want more get a BBK.

I will be putting my complete K sports BBK up for sale again as I only wanted to sell the fronts. Keep your eye out if interested.

Well I like to do my own testing, and will make a cruddy thing to see bud :thumbs:

Then I can come back with a yey/ney, I can't take everyone's word without testing first hand (especially when it's simple).

The MBC definitely moves forwards though as I watched it myself tonight, now as to what putting a brace there will do - I'll find out.

• Like 2

Could have a look on the US forum My350z to see peoples review of this.

Yep I've done the looking but once again, it's a case of try it myself and see :)

Measuring and possibly mocking something up this weekend to test out, and hopefully talking to a guy that could fabricate something.

Right a very mini update.

It's going to do what I want, felt firmer after just putting some resistance against it. So with a brace against it, you'll feel it I'm positive.

So having a good look, I prefer the mounting point of the stillen, which is the strut tower. The Z1 piece mounts at the suspension top mount, which I don't think is a good idea.

More updates soon lads.

• Like 1

Right a very mini update.

It's going to do what I want, felt firmer after just putting some resistance against it. So with a brace against it, you'll feel it I'm positive.

So having a good look, I prefer the mounting point of the stillen, which is the strut tower. The Z1 piece mounts at the suspension top mount, which I don't think is a good idea.

More updates soon lads.

If you can make one that has a brake feel improvement I'm very interested in buying one :)

This does eff all Robbo.

Agreed! I have had several cars that are supposed to benefit from these braces, supposedly because the firewall was flexing, well I checked this on a couple of these cars and could not measure any more than 2 or 3mm flex if you stood on the brake, and if you are having to stand on the brakes then there is something else wrong.

Snake oil IMO, bit like most of the engine braces and earthing kits.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

• 2 weeks later...

I've been side tracked over the past couple of weekends but will get some materials to start something.

A friend of my dad is handy with welding, and hopefully I can chat to him on Sunday to see if he can help once I've mocked up the pieces :blush:

BTW - anyone else that is faster and clearly more capable should have a go as well :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Sooo, I've not totally forgotten about this but other parts arrived and I've been doing those bits when I can.

One thing I did do is a 3d scan much like Jamie did, this is just a normal quality one and I'll be setting off a high quality version tonight.

I shall also probably re-do the photography stage of it and use a few more markers to help it out.

Anyway, this is what it looks like at the moment.

Once I get it into Maya I'll be able to mock something up, is it really necessary ? If you have to ask that, you get a punch to the BALLS :lol:

I can see one issue immediately which are the hard brake lines, they are most likely in the way... :wacko:

350z_brake_master_cylinder_test_v003_render_01_zpsgciapspi.png

350z_brake_master_cylinder_test_v003_render_02_zpsg4kbdppg.png

350z_brake_master_cylinder_test_v003_render_03_zpsmwljebdi.png

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

No update but I appreciate your reminder! 

I'd still really like to fabricate something, I need to get myself a couple of bits of software.

I can make stuff in my 3d software at work but it would need to go into another bit of software for someone to manufacture it I guess. 

I do have another idea too, hopefully that won't take another 3 years.