Standard or not!

cmp999

Hi, just interested in what peoples thought's are when buying a car, due to lifestyle changes I will shortly be selling the Z.

The car has been uprevved, drop in filters, different exhaust, Gtr starter button and Nismo gear knob, I also have the alloy spare wheel.

Would these mods put you off buying the car and should I advertise it as such or should I return it to standard before selling it?

I'm not sure which road to go down whether it will be a private sale or trade in, I'm thinking that if I trade it in then I standardise it and sell on the other parts.

Thoughts please ;)

Cheers, Colin.

If selling to a forum member I'd list both prices, as generally people here understand those mods are the "norm" and don't affect it much at all.

Personally I like buying and keeping my cars close to OEM, bar maybe wheels and some fresh paint/interior touches type of thing.

I personally wouldn't use trade in as a forum member, or some other private buyer would buy your car quickly anyways.

My dad recently traded in his car for £4800, the dealer is now selling it for £6500 - not unusual but I'm sure we coulda gotten closer to that quite easily

As others say, if selling privately give the option of with mods or not and adjust price accordingly.

If you are trading in against another car then certainly remove the bits and selling them separately will go towards your new purchase, given the trade -in price will almost certainly be lower than a private sale, in one way or another dependent upon how the trader stacks up the deal.

Personally I avoid buying modified cars. This is because modifications tend to be a very personal thing which might not be to my taste.

On top of that, unless there is documented evidence you have no guarantee of the quality of the work.

However if a car came along with mods I like, or as Mike said, are the norm for the car in question, then I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I think a lot of it depends on the audience too. On a forum I think advertising modifications are fine, pistonheads/ebay too to some degree however if its going on autotrader I wouldn't bother listing them. I find you get more interest if you don't mention the car is modified then you can explain if the question is asked. If someone is really keen on a car chances are they will be able to spot modifications a mile off and make their own choice.

An exhaust and a gear knob doesn't come under the "modified" banner in my book, the drop in filters are a service item and the UpRev is merely a map to ensure the car is running as smoothly as it can with the new exhaust ;)

Its a hard one . I'm selling mine soon and will offer it with all the mods on it or for about £1500 less if I put it back to stock'ish, it cost a lot more than £1500 to buy all those mods and I'll make that much at least selling them on , but its the hassle of taking them off . Also most people want a GTR start button, decent exhaust etc fairly quickly, i lasted around 800 miles before I fitted mine !

Things I wouldn't want are wraps, I wouldn't buy a car that's wrapped full stop and would be wary if it had a roll cage, stripped or after market interior etc a few bolt ons wouldn't worry me if the car was well presented

A standard car would definitely be my first choice. As above, I`d be concerned as to whether the mods had been done correctly/competently and of the opinion that anyone of a mind to mod their cars is most likely to want to pick and choose and do the mods themselves.

More importantly for me though, I wouldn`t want the hassle with the insurance brokers, come the ring around at renewal time, declaring all the mods and how much more they were going to cost.

Thanks for all the replies, the majority seem to think standard is best! just put the standard gear knob and start button back on. Spoken to an exhaust fitter about re-fitting the standard exhaust, that will be done in a couple of weeks and then I will drop the original air filters back in.

Love this car and don't want to part with it but times are changing so needs must. Will sort out some photo's and get an ad together in the near future!

Cheers, Colin.

A standard car would definitely be my first choice. As above, I`d be concerned as to whether the mods had been done correctly/competently and of the opinion that anyone of a mind to mod their cars is most likely to want to pick and choose and do the mods themselves.

More importantly for me though, I wouldn`t want the hassle with the insurance brokers, come the ring around at renewal time, declaring all the mods and how much more they were going to cost.

I think the 370's exhaust is an exception to this rule. I'm guessing most people who buy these cars have done at least some research and know what to expect i.e. a pathetic sounding exhaust. I often see 370s advertised as having an aftermarket exhaust, even by dealers. If I was buying again now, I'd consider a decent aftermarket exhaust as a bonus.