De-cat legality...

zippypooz

Strictly speaking, any vehicle where a catalytic converter is missing where one was fitted as standard will fail the test, so my understanding would be, 2 are fitted as standard so one cat would fail, there is a couple of testers on here so maybe they will chip in.

Edited by Jetpilot

[quote name='Jetpilot' timestamp='1452365233' post='1572196']
Strictly speaking, any vehicle where a catalytic converter is missing where one was fitted as standard will fail the test, so my understanding would be, 2 are fitted as standard so one cat would fail, there is a couple of testers on here so maybe they will chip in.
[/quote]Hmmmm thanks for that. Interesting. Hopefully theyll see this post haha!! Either that or ill just use my Art pipes and replace when i need to!

[/quote]

It's more with regards to diesels I think?
Rules changed in Feb 2014 regarding cats and DPF's. If they were OEM fit they had to be present.

MY Z32 is pre 95 so passes emissions with decats fitted. Although I removed them within 2 months of ownership due to the horrific drone they created.

My understanding is that it needs a cat and to pass the emissions. If the cat is visibly there then it'll pass.

That's why you often hear of people having the cat cracked open and welded backup.

Same thing with DPF on a diesel

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

[quote name='Lexx' timestamp='1452366948' post='1572213']
[/quote]

It's more with regards to diesels I think?
Rules changed in Feb 2014 regarding cats and DPF's. If they were OEM fit they had to be present.

MY Z32 is pre 95 so passes emissions with decats fitted. Although I removed them within 2 months of ownership due to the horrific drone they created.
[/quote]So youre saying that if a (diesel) car was fitted with a cat from production, then it had to have one OR could you remove and replace with a hybrid like the motordyne xyz hfc pipe?

[quote name='Ricey@revolveautomotive' timestamp='1452367066' post='1572217']
My understanding is that it needs a cat and to pass the emissions. If the cat is visibly there then it'll pass.

That's why you often hear of people having the cat cracked open and welded backup.

Same thing with DPF on a diesel

[/quote]So me fitting the xyz hfc pipe 'should' be ok?

Edited by zippypooz

[quote name='Ricey@revolveautomotive' timestamp='1452367448' post='1572223']
Is my understanding.

Providing there is a catalytic coverter which passes emissions then yes.

[/quote]Sounds promising. Would love to hear an MOT testers opinon.

[quote name='zippypooz' timestamp='1452367543' post='1572225'][quote name='Ricey@revolveautomotive' timestamp='1452367448' post='1572223']
Is my understanding.

[/quote]Sounds promising. Would love to hear an MOT testers opinon.[/quote]
I'm not quite an mot tester but I've asked the question of the guy we take all out customers mots round too and this was his opinion

• Like 1

[quote name='Ricey@revolveautomotive' timestamp='1452367561' post='1572226']
Just fit an under tray that goes from one end of the car to the other.......they can't remove it to look then :lol:

[/quote]Great!! I wonder if Wasso does them!! :p

[quote name='zippypooz' timestamp='1452367543' post='1572225']
Is my understanding.

[/quote]

An MOT tester is unlikely to post up on a PUBLIC forum about what he does and doesn't give leniency on during an MOT.

• Like 1

[quote name='Lexx' timestamp='1452367834' post='1572231']
[quote name='zippypooz' timestamp='1452367543' post='1572225']
Is my understanding.

[/quote]

An MOT tester is unlikely to post up on a PUBLIC forum about what he does and doesn't give leniency on during an MOT.
[/quote]They may shed a little light on the matter though...although i know what you mean!

99% that a cat MUST be present if fitted at factory and must pass emissions.

However they don't stick a scope up the zorst to see if the honeycomb is in there or if it's a high flow cat.

With hfcs and correct emissions i'll near guarantee you'll be fine.

[quote name='Ricey@revolveautomotive' timestamp='1452368135' post='1572237']
99% that a cat MUST be present if fitted at factory and must pass emissions.

However they don't stick a scope up the zorst to see if the honeycomb is in there or if it's a high flow cat.

With hfcs and correct emissions i'll near guarantee you'll be fine.

[/quote]Cool. Looking forward to the end results as ive heard and read theyre the real deal.

I believe it is an offence under Construction and Use to modify a car in a manner that emissions would be increase thats in addition to the MOT regs , some pre 1995 vehicles have exemption under the mot on emission but it depends on the tester

[quote name='Richf' timestamp='1452368521' post='1572245']
I believe it is an offence under Construction and Use to modify a car in a manner that emissions would be increase thats in addition to the MOT regs , some pre 1995 vehicles have exemption under the mot on emission but it depends on the tester
[/quote]I'll be chatting with a tester on monday morning then!! I can see the arguments for and against. Although im sure there are far more cars on the road pushing out more emissions than the zed!