Clocked car

STEVE K

Well after nearly 40 years of driving and buying my own cars I have finally purchased a clocked vehicle ... a 350z roadster. I GOT IT ON 10TH JULY with a mileage on the odometer of 65700 and recorded as approx65k on the sales invoice. Well the car has been great, my mileage is low as it is a third car but I knew it would need a P3 service which was planned to coincide with the MOT due end of April. Looked closely at the new style ticket issued last April and the odometer reading was 84684. So in 6 months have done -16,700 miles. No I will not disclose the garage as I will be contacting the hire purchase provider on Monday. Stupid mistake but the car is so good... will get full service done and will disclose the false odometer reading when sold on hopefully not for many years.

There is a .gov site which shows the last 6 years recorded MOT mileage, should always be a first port of call before buying a car.

Yeah now there is sure, but the website wasn't live back in July when the OP purchased his car :(

What Richf said could be the case.

I know on the VED forms for renewing tax though you can voluntarily add the vehicle mileage (on the VED renewal notice), ...have you checked back through paper work etc to see if that all tallies up & if it's on there?

Hopefully it's just a mistake by a fat fingered MOT guy. ;)

Thanks chaps my facts have been checked on the gov website,maybe a new speedometer was fitted between April and july but doubt it. However if the MOT tester made a typing error then that has been transmitted to that website.

Edited by STEVE K

There is a .gov site which shows the last 6 years recorded MOT mileage, should always be a first port of call before buying a car.

Yeah now there is sure, but the website wasn't live back in July when the OP purchased his car :(

Was.

I used that site 4 years ago when someone tried to sell me an Astra Est with 75,000 on it. Turned out it was 175,000.

And yep, the salesman played innocent.

Thanks chaps m facts have been checked on the gov website,maybe a new speedometer was fitted between April and july but doubt it. As for you Sargara wont be an OAP til MARCH 2025 but m retiring early. Hope you enjoy a working life that governents will make longer and longer.

Steady on he didnt call you an OAP.

• Like 3

Thanks chaps m facts have been checked on the gov website,maybe a new speedometer was fitted between April and july but doubt it. As for you Sargara wont be an OAP til MARCH 2025 but m retiring early. Hope you enjoy a working life that governents will make longer and longer.

Steady on he didnt call you an OAP.

:lol: Never seen that happen before. :D

@ STEVE K ~ He called you Op.

It stands for "Original Poster" when used on the internet fyi. He meant no offence. :thumbs:

Means nothing. Your car hasnt been clocked. The MOT tester fat fingers an 8 instead of a 6 and it gets printed on your certificate and saved to the online database. Probably oil on the keys and he couldnt read it. No drama. And why would anybody bother 'clocking' a car to hide a measly 20k?

• Like 1