Sticking Convertible Roof

PEDZED

Dear Zedders,

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has previously encountered issues with their folding Roof and the final part of the closure

Essentially the fabric roof closes all the way until the very last part before the hard cover drops down to finish the job and seal the unit

I think it is a problem with the roof portions not folding correctly making the motor work harder to finish the collapsing of the roof into the recess. The hard cover just remains up in the vertical awaiting the roof to slot into place but without it being seated correctly it cannot close.

I did manage to assist it in closing a couple of times but not now (with the wife helping) but I do not want to either carry on doing this or have someone help every time. Plus I fear damaging the gearing on the mechanism.

Can anyone shed some light on likely causes or common faults please.

Thank you as ever for our help.

Best Regards

PED

Z Man,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I think the motor is OK as it gets right to the end but I take your point entirely about warming the fabric up before trying again. I'll let you know how I get on as the last time I tried it, it had just finished p..... it down.

I've also read some of he posts regarding a Mohair replacement. Maybe worth me having a look.

Thanks again and happy ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

PED

This is a known issue with Zed roadsters, usually associated with low ambient temperatures. The OEM canvas material is quite stiff at lower temperatures, so the "last" section of canvas doesn't fold properly and the roof won't close.

The Nissan handbook suggests that the roof should not be operated in temperatures of less than 5 deg C.

Usually the roof will close after a few attempts, as the canvas eventually flexes and folds away. The best option is to try to park the Zed in the sun,( I know that's difficult, especially this time of year!) but it is surprising how quickly the canvas warms up. Once the rear section feels slightly warm to the touch and flexes, then the roof will then operate.

It may, of course, be the fifth bow motor, as Zmanalex says, but, fingers crossed, it may just be the low temperature.

Once you are back in the UK, it would be worth while lubricating all the roof joints. I use Bilt Hamber Ferrosol on my roadster linkages and joints and can recommend it.

Finally, never, ever, try to force the roof down by hand as undue force can damage the motors.

Lets hope for some slightly warmer weather, so we can both get the roof down and enjoy our Zeds!

Hoe this helps.

Edited by Ridz

I have had the problem of sticking roof,and I have spayed all moving parts with WD 40,and as the lads have said run the engine and direct the heater vents toawards the roof.

Every year I do this along with mcguires fabric roof treatment spray,touch wood I have not had any problems since. :D

• 1 month later...

Depending on the exact position where the roof stops, will determine what procedure you have to follow.

Firstly lubricate the 5th bow lock assembly with Genuine Nissan Window Regulator Grease.

If this does not fix your issue, twist the auto-closure wire back into the closure motor.

Lastly if still not working, remove and refurb the 5th bow motor.

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue last week, its not been down since last October, and not too warm yet, a bit of exercise sorted it. I will be greasing it up when its warmer an drier, just to be sure.

• 3 years later...