Supercharging

black bear

Hi,

I'm installing Vortech V3 supercharger on my Z. If I install everything, fuel return system, fuel rails, Kinetix plenum and Supercharger, can I run car to tuner (300 miles), where I will install bigger injectors, supercharger drive belt and plugs before tuning?

I assume that air will be drawn through Supercharger with some restriction, resulting in maybe a small loss of power?

Other option is to install everything and trailer the car down and back which is a hassle since I don't have a car trailer or anything to tow it.

Merry Christmas all

Dave

Hi bud, I had the belt snap on my SC'ed E46 330 and drove it home (only about 50 miles) with no adverse effects.

I don't see an issue with what you're planning and driving it 300 miles, as you say there may be a slight loss of power due to a restricted intake but as long as you take it easy it should be ok.

I stand to be corrected by some one with more experience though :)

On a side note I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're doing, i.e. what parts you are fitting/ costs/ instillation time as this is something I will be looking in to in the not too distant future.

Hi bud, I had the belt snap on my SC'ed E46 330 and drove it home (only about 50 miles) with no adverse effects.

I don't see an issue with what you're planning and driving it 300 miles, as you say there may be a slight loss of power due to a restricted intake but as long as you take it easy it should be ok.

I stand to be corrected by some one with more experience though :)

On a side note I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're doing, i.e. what parts you are fitting/ costs/ instillation time as this is something I will be looking in to in the not too distant future.

I'm installing:

Vortech V3 Supercharger Tuner kit 3800 GBP

Stillen Oil Pan (+ 1litre Oil) 200 GBP

Mocal 19 Row Oil cooler, Thermostatic Sandwich plate, Hoses 125 GBP

Denso 570cc Injectors, Ebay Australia 190 GBP

Fuel Rails, Chinese but look good quality & fit 40 GBP

Fuel Regulator 80 GBP

Walbro 225l pump in tank 100 GBP

Bosch 044 Pump outside tank 95 GBP

4l Swirl Tank 100 GBP

High pressure fuel filter 30 GBP

Stainless braided Teflon Hose & Fittings 250 GBP

1 step cooler Denso plugs 60 GBP

Kinetix Stainless Plenum 550 GBP

I purchased software last year to have car tuned down at Horsham so will get Jez to tune after installation. Running 297 BHP with Performance Exhaust, Berk Cats, Plenum Spacer and K & N Filter, Looking for 420 to 450 BHP.

I bought a used 350Z in tank fuel pump assembly (45 GBP) to modify for Walbro pump, keeping original for reverting to standard.

I have most of parts now, will be fitting oil pan, cooler etc over christmas break and will be ordering supercharger beginning of Jan.

I will take lots of photos during install and post how I did it.

Dave

• Like 1

Remember that your install wont draw the fuel from the L/H side of the fuel tank as it requires the fuel pressure to be returned from the return pipe where the stock fuel pressure regulator is situated to syphon the fuel across from the L/H side of the fuel tank where there is no fuel pump, however there is a kit available for this.

Hi Dave,

Good luck with the build and good idea to do a write up of the install.

Should you need help with the fitting, there are so many threads in here, just do a quick search or browse here:http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/30-forced-induction/

If you require help with the parts, feel free to PM me anytime or have a look on our website: http://www.torqen.uk/13-350z

Adrian

Edited by octet@TORQEN

Any reason why your running a 044 and Walboro, or is the 044 going to be part of a swirl pot set up?

Part of swirl pot setup. Could have used standard pump but bought walboro then changed my mind to a swirl pot setup to be sure to fuel eliminate starvation issues reported elsewhere.

• Like 1

Remember that your install wont draw the fuel from the L/H side of the fuel tank as it requires the fuel pressure to be returned from the return pipe where the stock fuel pressure regulator is situated to syphon the fuel across from the L/H side of the fuel tank where there is no fuel pump, however there is a kit available for this.

Fuel return based on AAM Fuel Return Kit at a fraction of cost. I have machined an adapter (similar to AAM's) to replace fuel pressure regulator.This will provide much higher flow of fuel to Venturi to pick up fuel from LH side of tank.

Tricky part (for me!), was making pipework fit between AN-4 bulkhead fitting in top plate and adapter. AAM use a crimped hose with long radius bend to go into AN-4 to 1/8" NPT 90 deg adapter which fits snug. I'm using AN-4 braided teflon hose and fittings which take up a bit more space. In hindsight I should have used rubber hose with barbed hose tails and jubilee clips as others have done.

CJ Motorsports suggest increasing the swirl jet to about 0.080" for 225l Walboro, this could be increased further to 0.100" or 0.110" for larger pumps. I will probably go for 2mm (about 0.078") nearest drill bit I have, should be OK to pick up fuel from RH side of tank.

4l swirl tank should eliminate any possibility of starvation on hard track cornering.

Dave

Fuel return based on AAM Fuel Return Kit at a fraction of cost. I have machined an adapter (similar to AAM's) to replace fuel pressure regulator.This will provide much higher flow of fuel to Venturi to pick up fuel from LH side of tank.

Tricky part (for me!), was making pipework fit between AN-4 bulkhead fitting in top plate and adapter. AAM use a crimped hose with long radius bend to go into AN-4 to 1/8" NPT 90 deg adapter which fits snug. I'm using AN-4 braided teflon hose and fittings which take up a bit more space. In hindsight I should have used rubber hose with barbed hose tails and jubilee clips as others have done.

CJ Motorsports suggest increasing the swirl jet to about 0.080" for 225l Walboro, this could be increased further to 0.100" or 0.110" for larger pumps. I will probably go for 2mm (about 0.078") nearest drill bit I have, should be OK to pick up fuel from RH side of tank.

4l swirl tank should eliminate any possibility of starvation on hard track cornering.

Dave

Yeah, agree not much room, but what you have will work fine.

I did away with my surge tank and external pump and went with this:

http://cj-motorsports.com/products/cjm-twin-pump-350zg35

Dave

Yeah, agree not much room, but what you have will work fine.

I did away with my surge tank and external pump and went with this:

http://cj-motorsport...in-pump-350zg35

I have seen this. But $805 + P&P + Import duty + Tax = :unsure: but B). Buying the 044 and surge tank cost about 200 GBP (I already have Walboro from another project).