Ooops....

T-Bear

Lovely bit of dual carridgeway mind... 2 wide lanes + clean Hard shoulder.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m12!1m3!1d13922.43547707936!2d0.9619243515371771!3d51.91275295378257!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1449756167978" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's crazy to speed on there mate, everyone knows the police love to sit along the A120 from start to finish, and that's a busy stretch of road too.

Absolute insanity to do that kind of speed there. That's the top end of 4th gear! At nearly twice the limit, I'm not even sure a decent solicitor is going to be able to do much.

I'm sure we have all done it, when we have rightly or wrongly judged the place and conditions to be worth the risk, unfortunately the OP got caught, a good solicitor and some mitigating circumstance's may of may not help, so maybe we should give him a break, the phrase "there but for the grace of god" springs to mind here. ;)

• Like 3

Sorry, still don't buy any reason for doing that speed in this or any situation. I accepted doing 36 in a 30 was wrong and this is far worse so it's medicine time. Hope it doesn't hit you unfairly hard but with 6 points already and now this on your record you are a lucky lad to still be around to tell the story.

Edited by Payco

:scare: thats nearly daily mail territory!

Definitely write to the DM. Hopefully the publicity will help pay for the fine ;)

I won't judge as I can't say I am squeaky clean too but it does help if you sell the car. A friends dad got caught doing 115 whilst overtaking an unmarked cop car and he got off when he purchased a Micra and sold the scooby.

Edited by 370Ad
  • Like 1

:scare: thats nearly daily mail territory!

Definitely write to the DM. Hopefully the publicity will help pay for the fine ;)

I won't judge as I can't say I am squeaky clean too but it does help if you sell the car. A friends dad got caught doing 115 whilst overtaking an unmarked cop car and he got off when he purchased a Micra and sold the scooby.

does this really make a difference? seems strange that a person's continued desire to own a nice car should have an effect on the sentence. after all, being banned from driving a scooby is the same as being banned from driving a micra? plus, even if you do get let off, whats to then stop you selling the micra and buying a faster Scooby? was he let off on the proviso that he drives a crap car for a year?

• Like 1

Because it's all about how it looks. If you can show to the court that you've seen the error of your ways and sold your evil sporty car that gave you temptation and have bought a nice sensible car, they may look towards you more favourably.

They shouldn't, but they do.

• Like 4

That's crazy to speed on there mate, everyone knows the police love to sit along the A120 from start to finish, and that's a busy stretch of road too.

Haven't been over this way that long & didn't know they like hiding in bushes :(

..Yes it can be busy..... but like I pointed out. It was empty when I was speeding. Even have the pic to prove there was no-one near me.

Absolute insanity to do that kind of speed there. That's the top end of 4th gear!

Nah not really. It's also the start of 5th gear.....

Trouble was, you didn't see the copper: If you didn't see him, then what else could you miss?

That's not me saying that, that's what they'll use against you, clear roads or not.

It's all in a cutting. Fences up top and armco on h/shoulder & central.

Fields bordering it are arable land too.

The only way to get down there is from the road ...

If someone wants to play peekaboo with cars atleast at 129mph it will be certain rather than possible vegetative state.

Trouble was, you didn't see the copper: If you didn't see him, then what else could you miss?

That's not me saying that, that's what they'll use against you, clear roads or not.

If someone wants to play peekaboo with cars atleast at 129mph it will be certain rather than possible vegetative state.

Sorry pal I don't agree, the point is that at that speed from nearly half a kilometer away you are caught at 129mph, if you missed the copper, you miss everything else. If an animal runs out in front of you and you flip into a ditch and kill yourself think of what impact that has on your friends and family. What if a fault comes of your car, tyre blow out, there are so many things that at that speed end catastrophically. Too many times you hear stories of people who think that all is safe so they want to speed, too many times its associated with people being killed. I'm not going to preach but I really hope whatever gets thrown at you in the coming months you do actually reflect on this rather than aim for the shortest ban possible and then jump back in and hammer it up an A road again.

• Like 2

Col, you are on the same page as me. With 6 points already and then caught doing this speed he is lucky to be around himself to tell the story let alone what could have happened if someone else had been on the road. Just hope he rethinks how he drives his cars in future and is around on this earth for as long as possible.

so, could you perfectly and legitimately swap cars with a mate for a few months (all above board, fill in V5cs and get new tax etc) in the hope of getting a reduced sentence, and then when the dust settles, swap back into your fast car again?

Potentially. But Ekona is correct its all about showing that you are sorry.

By selling your car its more than words its actions. So the court like that apparently!

Sorry pal I don't agree, the point is that at that speed from nearly half a kilometer away you are caught at 129mph, if you missed the copper, you miss everything else. If an animal runs out in front of you and you flip into a ditch and kill yourself think of what impact that has on your friends and family. What if a fault comes of your car, tyre blow out, there are so many things that at that speed end catastrophically. Too many times you hear stories of people who think that all is safe so they want to speed, too many times its associated with people being killed. I'm not going to preach but I really hope whatever gets thrown at you in the coming months you do actually reflect on this rather than aim for the shortest ban possible and then jump back in and hammer it up an A road again.

I saw the copper, plain as day when he hopped out from the trees. Popped my anchors on but ..... and here we are.

I'm a little confused though, you have had high powered rwd & fwd cars... have you never booted it? Have you always kept to speed limits?

Playing Devils advocate here, as already mentioned. Autobahn. People travelling at much higher speeds than this. Yet they don't get the problems listed above every day of the week etc.

Drivers driving at those speeds know the risks, know there boundaries (most of them do) and know what they are doing. - I for one am much more focused at higher speeds than pootling around at 10/30mph.

Just saying :teeth:

• Like 2

I saw the copper, plain as day when he hopped out from the trees. Popped my anchors on but ..... and here we are.

I'm a little confused though, you have had high powered rwd & fwd cars... have you never booted it? Have you always kept to speed limits?

That kind of comment wont help you in any situation :lol: I have a kitchen knife, I don't behead people.

Make sure the Lawyer does the talking :lol:

• Like 3

So, just to be clear, Payco condemns speeding in open areas but is on-board for a bit of speeding around in built up areas?

I wonder who's more likely to take a life, the guy speeding past a school for disabled kids at 3pm or the guy speeding down a deserted A road.

• Like 3

Autobahns have a worse safety record than UK motorways, they also have between 4 and 6 lanes. The average speeds by cars on Autobahns is between 70 and 90 mph as recorded by their highways department. There is a big misconception that everyone tanks down them at 150 mph, the majority do not. Travelling on an A road at 129mph gives you no error margin - people say it is safe, its an illusion, no road is safe, at any speed. No driver controls the entire environment they drive in, ever. The difference is when something does go wrong you certainly give yourself a chance at a lower speed, 129mph pretty much means certain death in the instance of anything happening - I for one could not allow my 3 year old boy to grow without a dad because I thought it would be fun to hammer down an A road at nearly twice the speed limit.

And no OP, I do not put my foot down like that, I very rarely speed, when I do I kick myself in the backside and remind myself what an idiot I have been. From what I have read, you cannot see the issue at hand here, and I would expect you would do exactly the same thing again once the ban is done. That really makes me quite sad and clearly the system here in the UK doesnt have the required effect.

• Like 3

No, never to those speeds on any roads in the country. On roads where it's very easy to get caught, I will stick to the limit always plus 2-5mph over on the speedo (so 75mph, but 72mph in the real world). There is no fun to be gained from travelling at that pace on roads like that, where you have so many idiots around you and it's so easy for the police to catch you. Plus, fun isn't a straight line. ;)

Every time someone gets caught doing a daft speed in a nice car, or caught by a camera, it's just another reason for them to carry on putting cameras and speed traps everywhere. Not trying to stick the knife in, but situations like this make things worse for all motorists.