Dyeing leather seats

Tuck

Sooo, after looking extensively for replacement seats for the 350z to no avail I've decided to modify the current seats. I couldn't decide on any seats as I wanted leather, heated and able to fit harnesses (Not for any track work, I just prefer the strapped-in feeling) without spending in excess of £3k. Not possible for my picky nature. I'm not a massive fan of the Alezan interior parts, I do like it, it's just not my first choice. So after reviewing a few videos and pages on dyeing leather, how well it comes out and the simplicity of doing this.

So has anyone done this before?

Sent from my potato using duct tape

I do leather reconnolisation (pigmenting). It's not dyed anymore unless it's Analine leather.

For a decent kit it'll cost you a fair few hundred quid.

Si will do you a quality retrim and I can do you a reconnolisation.

It's a fairly tricky process but not impossible to the untrained.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What colour do you want to go ? Would it not be easier to sell yours and buy a set in the desired colour?

I'm not too sure yet, possibly black but it's a bit boring! I did think that but I enjoy doing these things myself, if you take your time and get proper advice you can get decent enough results! And if it all goes belly up you can always pay someone to do it 😂

• Like 1

Whatever you do don't try and go red. The pigment in red isn't strong enough to cover the existing colour.

That's my idea blown then!

😂😂 I actually was thinking along those lines, I may go then black and see if anyone wants a swap for my Alezan seats. I will be taking the seats out regardless for a proper clean and condition.

Buffalo leather in Preston are a great company to speak to. Jackie is lovely and she'll sort you out with some products. If you get stuck you can pm me by all means but as I say it can be a tricky process to get it right and to ensure its got some longevity

Whatever you do don't try and go red. The pigment in red isn't strong enough to cover the existing colour.

Is a deep purple dye doable in Alzean seats as a colour change Ricey?

Edited by Irn Bru

Is it possible to reshape the existing seats to accommodate harness slots?

Anything's possible (given enough time and money) but harnesses would usually run at about the height of the bottom of the headrest. So the only way to reshape anything to accomodate harness slot would be to do away with the headrest completely and build an integral headrest (with harness slots) into both the foam beneath the covers and also into the metal frame itself.

Wouldn't be easy, wouldn't be cheap! :(

• 4 weeks later...

So I've gone ahead and decided just to dye the seats tan, as its a very close colour to the Alzean and I quite like the old school tan look. I bought a kit and got started.

Removed the seats from the car (4 x 14mm bolt in each corner and electrical cable underneath).

Got a stiff synthetic scrubbing brush, sponged on the prep liquid and scrubbed, occasionally adding more liquid.

Works instantly on the dark creases and you can see all the people goo and sludge coming out. Then a final wipe down to clear off the excess!

7f20d334d7e548109128481b313c41ec.jpg

I also painted the 'Press' button on the seat belts.

19e61b616749051795505a6835dba5a0.jpg

Giving all the plastic parts a wipe down with Qtechniq C4 and I'll move onto the colourant tomorrow.

Blimey is that the colour after just the clean down? Have you got a link to the kit you bought as I'm about to do the same thing?

I was amazed a how much gunk came off! They are a Matt finish now but need sealant as I can tell they'll mark quicker than white paper seats.