Advice on action to take. (consumer issue)

evilscorp

Hey you legal boffins!

Just wanted some words of wisdom, I was married this year 20/06/15 woohoo! :surrender: Anyway, we had our wedding day filmed but still have not received the dvd. My wife had been dealing with it, all emails, payments etc.

The guy kept fobing her off with it will be sent out tomorrow, I am just finishing it. . . blah blah blah.

So after the third time of him saying I will post it out this week, I finally said I would contact him.

After having seen so many of these situations on here I worded a ok email to the guy which made him respond quickly with;

###

Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience I have caused. The DVD is ready, however, if have been extremely busy and will get it posted tomorrow.

If you would like to send me your account details and I will refund you £50.00 for the delay.

Please rest assured you will certainly get your DVDs.

Again, sincere apologies and thank you for your patience Gary.

Thanks

####

So what should I do? Would taking the money affect my legal standings if I have to try and claim back using my wedding insurance or credit card (worst case scenario, small claims court)?

He has said on three occasions it will be posted tomorrow (to my wife).

Take the money back, won't hurt you at all.

Tbh at this point he has you over a barrel: Even if you get a refund, you're not exactly going to get a video of your wedding any other way, so you have little choice but to stick with him and keep him on side. Start annoying him and he may well refund the lot and stick your video in a bin, and call it quits if he saves him the ballache. What you need to do is be super-nice to the guy, have a laugh and a joke with him saying how you're sorry for being a PITA and your wife is a nightmare and ha ha aren't all women bridezillas etc, all the time calling him a knob jockey behind his back. That way he'll likely get to you sooner.

is this via email or phone calls? If phone then fair enough, if not then give him a ring and speak to him man to man. Or tell him not worry about posting, as you can happily pop round next Saturday and collect it in person you're passing by anyway. Might well gee him up into getting it done.

Sometimes the best solution to get what YOU want isn't always the one that sits best.

You do have a point, grease the bas$&@ up with kindness. But I am sure I recently seen on 'don't get done,get Dom' or something similar, the same scenario, where they managed to claim for damages I.e. unable to show our future children/family/friends the video, is mentally affecting us both to our detriment. At which point bailiffs turned up and took the recording equipment off the cameraman.

*gritted teeth*

Hello ##@@,

Thanks for the quick response,

I am also sorry that it has got to this point too, as the work and manner you conducted on the day was great.

I could come and collect the DVD tomorrow if that helps?

Thank you for the refund and look forward to watching the DVD when it arrives.

Kind Regards

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you and hopefully the DVD makes up for the wait.

I will post next day delivery so no need to come out of your way to collect. You will have the DVDs on Friday and I will transfer the money tomorrow.

Thanks

***@@

####

ORIGINAL message from me :rant:

Mr @@**,

I am writing to you regarding the filming of my wedding on the 20th July 2015.

You have been in contact with my wife Emma Poyser,(previously Dunlop) and on numerous occasions said the dvd would be completed and sent out, (12/10/15, 10/11/15, 27/11/15.)

We have been more than reasonable in our responses and expectations. It has gotten to the point it is mentally affecting us, as we have no idea if we will be able to share our wedding day with family, friends and hopefully children of our own, that wonderful day which you were contracted to film and produce a dvd of.

I will allow yourself 4 working days to send the completed wedding dvd which was described and detailed to my wife in your previous correspondence/as per advert.

If we do not receive this, I will have no option but to contact our wedding insurance and/or our credit card company.

Regards

Gary Poyser

####

Fingers crossed the jekyll and hyde routine works, find out Friday :lol:

My mate waited over 6 months for his first draft of the dvd. These things do take time as the editing time is quite extreme, especially if he's a good videographer and is busy with lots of weddings. How long have you been waiting?

Hope you get a good result from this. As others have said, this isnt unusual as the editing / production of the film does take a while and these guys are usually flat out. One thing we found with ours is that they are very keen to get it to you asap, as they own the copyright for the film, and usually if any relations/friends want a copy, the film maker can make a few extra quid charging for copies of the film etc.

On my wedding day, we actually had a problem where by the live entertainment / DJ who we had booked failed to turn up. We didnt realise until we were told at 6pm that evening that the guy who was supposed to have arrived and be set up ready for 7pm hadnt showed up. Queue numerous phone calls to the guy who denied all knowledge of the booking (even though we had met him weeks before hand at the actual venue so we could show him what we wanted and go through it all). Luckily for us, one of our wedding guests was a very good professional singer, and another one of our guests was a professional DJ. So they made a couple of calls and within 30mins we had a massive van turn up with shed loads of disco/DJ gear as well as a live singer & DJ, all for free. It was amazing, lasers, lights, smoke machines, room full of speakers. They practically turned the place into some nightclub. As for the original entertainment we had booked, a few well placed phone calls from some of the more "persuasive" wedding guests and myself, resulted in a full refund, plus about £1000 "compensation" from the guy.

• Like 2

£50 quid is in the bank and a parcel has arrived for the missus... but after half opening it I am unsure what it is so best to leave alone :lol:

I guess it depends on what shape the parcel is I suppose. If its a dvd shape then you might be okay, but if its shaped more like a cucumber id leave it well alone! :lol:

• Like 1

I frequently hear of folks waiting agggggges for wedding pics and DVDs. Creative people are awful procrastinators (I should know, I'm one of those 'creative types') so seems the norm I'm sorry to say. Having said that 6 months is a very long time and I think the chap does need a kick up the arse and I think you should pursue the offer of the £50 refund so he learns it's not acceptable behaviour.

S.

PS congrats on your nuptials :)

Cheers Squee, it's more the fact he has said its in the post or will be on a few occasions to my wife that has annoyed us. Received the £50 today so fingers crossed the DVD's arrive tomorrow.

As for the package... some clear plastic plates so Primary 1 kids can make 3D cheap snowglobes or something :wacko: