What gains would you expect from NA tuning?

James Junior

Morning ladies and gents,

I was hoping to draw upon the knowledge of those with experience of tuning 370Zs...

I have been tinkering with mine over the past few months and have fitted:

- Cobra cat back exhaust and Y pipe

- Berk HFCs

- Stillen G3 intake

After these were fitted I had the car remapped via Uprev.

My final dyno figures at the flywheel were 346 bhp and 300 lb ft of torque. Thats approximately a 5% increase in power and a 10% increase in torque.

Whilst I managed my expectations throughout as I am long enough in the tooth to know that NA tuning is a fools errand, I was still a tad disappointed with those figures as I was expecting power nearer the 360bhp mark based on anecdotal evidence from other forum posts (both here and Stateside).

That said, I don't have any benchmark figures as to what my car was running as stock.

I am curious to know how my dyno figures stack up against other peoples' experiences?

Could've been worse , let me guess not a dyno dynamics dyno ?

My car made 299hp on H-Devs dyno with a cat back, silicone intake pipes and K&N filters , after the uprev it made 309.4hp

The cats do make a massive difference and the stock cats were holding mine back so I fitted decats, these make about 10hp more than the Berks HFC and as you can see 35hp up from before

Still hardly more than the quoted figures but

1) I dont believe that the 370z stock would get close to 326hp on a Dyno dynamics dyno

2) Most of the US dynos are dynojet or mustang and they do tend to read higher

3) Perhaps US horses are smaller so they can get more in an engine ;):)

4) Expecting significant gains on a n/a engine is a waste of time

I plan to run mine on a different type of dyno soon and I fully expect to pick up 20hp over my current figures, which will give a better increase in bragging rights than all the money spent , you cant compare dynos so you cant compare hp figures on different cars, you cant even compare dyno runs done on different days but on the same dyno.

The only question is does it feel faster and does it drive better ?

img037_zps9tlunrwn.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to post all that - very interesting. The dyno used when my car was remapped was a more conventional 'rolling road' type not a hub-mounted one as I have used in the past.

Your graph and figures look very similar to mine (thought I suppose it should do!). I will bring my dyno graph into the office with me tomorrow to scan and upload it as a comparator.

Like you say, the figures are only really for bragging rights I guess, though it is nice to verify that the money you have spent has at least had some proveable impact!

Yes it does drive better for sure - the best way to describe it is that it just feels a bit burlier.

Are you talking quoted figures from Nissan, if so they would be flywheel, so you are making more.

yes mine are flywheel so 299hp is LESS than 326hp isnt it ? I think the OP's point is that hfc's, a Stillen g3 intake , cat back system and a remap would hopefully yield more than a measly 20hp over the stock quoted figure

My Skoda's often dyno around 20hp up from stock before any mods so some manufactures lie about emissions, some fuel consumption and some power outputs ;)

The main problem you have james is that to get a proper tuned increase figure it would have been best to have the car set a pre tune run and then add all the mods then dyno/ map to find a true increase in bhp/ftlb . In the real world this isn't going to happen often . I would say 345 @ the fly on jez's dyno is bang on the money .

As its already been said I wouldn't waste any more time/ effort / money on more tuning on a n/a zed . You could go FI but again this is a massive investment ( it's not an investment at all , it's a sure way of loosing lots of money ) and then you can see some good gains . For instance I pulled 430 bhp .... Put a smaller pulley on and a map tweek ( cost £250 for both inc fitting ) and gained another 35 bhp . But on the flip side you could put that FI money into a new car and say end up with a 430 bhp m3/ rs4 ect

The other thing to look at if staying n/a is final drive gears . This won't net you any more hp but will increase acceleration due to the shorter gearing ....

Edited by Bodyboarder81

The main problem you have james is that to get a proper tuned increase figure it would have been best to have the car set a pre tune run and then add all the mods then dyno/ map to find a true increase in bhp/ftlb . In the real world this isn't going to happen often . I would say 345 @ the fly on jez's dyno is bang on the money .

This is a dyno sheet post uprev on Jez's dyno on a car with a similar spec to yours

hdev%20dyno_zpsypgkyszk.jpg

As i said you cant compare different cars and different dynos but the dyno at H-Dev does produce lower figures than others but that just makes me more suspicious of the others , especially in the US where they start claiming 350hp at the wheels etc

Sounds about right you propbably made decent gains if you did a base run to compair as factory stated bhp is usually lower with these cars .

My new 370z nismo factory stated 344bhp or 355bhp depending on where you look on jez's dyno at h-devs made 324bhp then invidia cbe, berk hfc ,k&n droping and hps post maf tubes with a up-rev made 355.6bhp (at fly).

I wouldn't compair different dyno reading though the main thing for me is does it drive better ? If the answers yes then dont worry about the readings to much

Sounds about right you propbably made decent gains if you did a base run to compair as factory stated bhp is usually lower with these cars .

My new 370z nismo factory stated 344bhp or 355bhp depending on where you look on jez's dyno at h-devs made 324bhp then invidia cbe, berk hfc ,k&n droping and hps post maf tubes with a up-rev made 355.6bhp (at fly).

I wouldn't compair different dyno reading though the main thing for me is does it drive better ? If the answers yes then dont worry about the readings to much

The main problem you have james is that to get a proper tuned increase figure it would have been best to have the car set a pre tune run and then add all the mods then dyno/ map to find a true increase in bhp/ftlb . In the real world this isn't going to happen often.

Why not? You just have to pay for the additional dyno time.

Evening dudes,

Thanks for your further comments. I must remember to bring my dyno graphs to work tomorrow and upload them. My numbers are similar but my lines nothing like as smooth as Rich's.

Quite agree with Josh. The first thing I think when I get a new car doesn't tend to be 'lets get my bone stock car on the rollers!'

That said, I suppose for those of us with rempant modifying addictions it really should, so we can monitor what performance improvements (if any) our hobby/ affliction/ stupidity nets us.

I wouldnt worry too much about the smoothness a lot can be be done with the way the dyno plot is scaled

I'm planning on plaguing Jez a H-Dev quite a bit next year with mine , have a few interesting ideas in the pipeline

I would say swooping over to EcuTek will gain you around 10/15 more bhp. Your see some dynoplots on our forum page of a 370Z tuned on EcuTek versus a stock 370Z (on my phone so not easy to post a link) we have found the EcuTek software to be far superior to UpRev.

1, ability to log per cylinder knock counts

2, ability to re calibrate the ignition maps and see how the dynamic ignition control is working

3, full control over the VVEL and variable valve lift calibration

4, recalibrate the O2 sensor to give correct AFR reading

5, proper traction control available

6, safety maps can be calibrated using racerom

Just a more developed system we have found

As its already been said I wouldn't waste any more time/ effort / money on more tuning on a n/a zed . You could go FI but again this is a massive investment ( it's not an investment at all , it's a sure way of loosing lots of money ) and then you can see some good gains . For instance I pulled 430 bhp .... Put a smaller pulley on and a map tweek ( cost £250 for both inc fitting ) and gained another 35 bhp . But on the flip side you could put that FI money into a new car and say end up with a 430 bhp m3/ rs4 ect

The other thing to look at if staying n/a is final drive gears . This won't net you any more hp but will increase acceleration due to the shorter gearing ....

My buddy just sold his m3 it was 2010 model the V8 one

He drove my car on satarday he said the m3 and the sc 370z were hard to split

Only maybey a good diff on the 370z would be the difference between the 2

He's no professional just his opinion but he assured me I wasn't missing out on the m3

He thought the 370z pulled a bit better Aswell

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ive spent around 4k on the engine and run around 376 .. Seems like a supercharger would be the best option !

That's extremely high gains, and is cheaper than a SC.

What did you have done?

how much we betting infinitig37s has a for sales thread in the works

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

personally I think decat may increase the gains by aleast 10bhp, even over a sport caT which id only ever use it for MOT. If I put a sports cat on my

Super charged FN2 I expect I'd lose at least 20 BHP.

If I can hit 360bhp On a 370 i think I'd be satisfied for a while and can focus on making the car look and sound good ! Sorry I can batejg type I'm falling asleep cxx

3a95fa5f8ffbb5484f23ef0a8d8a9fa1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk