Just nearly crashed!!

nowhereboy

On my way into work this afternoon and the wind must have blew a massive roadwork sign into the middle of the motorway. It was lying flat but big enough to block both lanes. I didn't notice it in time to slow down, from a distance it blended in with the road due to really bad visibility and heavy rain. By the time I was close enough to see it properly it was already to late to stop and impossible to avoid due to the shear size of the thing.

I wasn't speeding but I hit it hard at about 50mph, it somehow sent the car into a fishtail and I very nearly lost control. Had it not been for recent drifting and car control lessons I'm pretty sure I'd have span out but thankfully I caught it. I haven't had time to inspect the damage properly but from what I can see I need a new front bumper, their's a big chunk missing out of the front and it's not sitting quite right now either.

I have a new front lip ready to fit after Christmas and now I'm unsure if theirs any point in paying to repair/replace the stock bumper and fit the front lip or just cough up for a v2 replica or something. Rubbish situation as the front lip is a present from my other half for christmas.

Pretty angry about the whole thing to be honest, it happened on the A1 motorway and that road is a complete joke at the minute, constant traffic, roadworks and delays and now this because someone clearly hasn't secured a roadwork properly, no point claiming on my insurance due to the lack of a third party so I'm going to have to cough up for it.

Sh*t happens eh? :rant: :rant:

Edit - I'll get a pic of the damage up later.

Edited by nowhereboy

That sucks... last thing you expect to see on the road is metal signage. I'd perhaps have a word with whoever is responsible for the signs, clearly they aren't doing their job well enough if they're coming loose and blowing across the carriageway. In a way you're lucky it was on the ground rather than in the air, could easily decapitate a driver if it went through the windscreen. :scare:

Edited by brillomaster

Sorry to hear about this mate. Feel for you!!.......I'm not expert in this matter, but can you not put a claim against the road works for not securing the signage properly? Good news it only damages your front bumper and no one was hurt.

I work in insurance and know what a massive ball ache it would be trying to claim for something like this, it's just not worth the bother. Even if I managed to claim as "no fault" it's still likely to mess with my premiums anyway.

In hindsight it could have been a lot worse, I do feel like it might be worth calling the people responsible for the roadworks. If that hasn't caused a massive accident by now I'd be surprised, the car behind me went straight into it also.

Edited by nowhereboy

You got lucky. A friend of mine had the exact same issue in his zed, only, the leg of the sign was sticking up and it punched a hole in his engine as well as other damage. Car was a write-off. It was reported through to the highways agency who eventually paid out the value of the car. Idiots tries it on at one point by arguing that it must have been his fault for hitting something else. Luckily there is more than one idiot in that organisation as someone from a different department sent him a bill for the cost of the sign he had smashed. They made a u-turn after my friend pointed out that it was clearly their sign that did the damage and returned them the bill for it, they couldn't fight it after that. Make a claim and see it through. Their tardy workmanship shouldn't end up costing you money.

Wow that's unfortunate. At least no injury to yourself.. Well except the to the wallet.

I'd get a replacement front bumper. If you can find a local scrapyard/breaker with the same colour standard bumpers are relatively cheap. So would save about £200 plus cost of a respray and means you get no hassle for unused gifts lol

• Like 1

Thanks folks. It will get sorted, frustratingly I can't do anything until after Christmas because I've already spent a small fortune for presents etc for the family.

It's gonna drive me bonkers looking at it and seeing that big chunk out the front of it every day for the next month :lol:

As you say at least I'm not hurt, I easily could have been.