Yellowing headlights...

zippypooz

Ok, Im interested to know how many on here suffer from headlight yellowing and also what causes it.

Its either UV rays, heat from the bulbs...or both.

Ive got an idea to solve this problem...if its UV related.

Im looking into producing an 'optically clear uv protective headlight wrap' which can be placed over the headlight face to protect it from future yellowing. Obviously you'd need to polish your headlights before fitting.

So, just wondering if anyone would be interested?

It will depend on whether it is a UV problem though as if it is a heat related issue then im not sure this will work.

Any input on this would be appreciated!!

:)

I develop headlamps for an OEM so have spent a lot of time talking about yellowing head lamps!

The cause is solely UV and nothing to do with the heat, you can see the same if you look at shed windows anywhere in the country.

The only real fix at the moment is to polish the lens back to clear and then coat it with a UV resistant hardcoat.

I guess a wrap would work but would probably be no better or less time consuming to apply than giving the lamp a good clean and then applying new hardcoat.

I develop headlamps for an OEM so have spent a lot of time talking about yellowing head lamps!

The cause is solely UV and nothing to do with the heat, you can see the same if you look at shed windows anywhere in the country.

The only real fix at the moment is to polish the lens back to clear and then coat it with a UV resistant hardcoat.

I guess a wrap would work but would probably be no better or less time consuming to apply than giving the lamp a good clean and then applying new hardcoat.

So how do you apply the 'uv hardcoat'? Can you tell its been coated at all?

Just use meguiers headlight restoration kit, it's only around £20 on fleebay

Use the mop on a drill for the first one and then just wipe them down with the same solution after each wash.

Jap cars are well know for getting cataracts

Just use meguiers headlight restoration kit, it's only around £20 on fleebay

Use the mop on a drill for the first one and then just wipe them down with the same solution after each wash.

Jap cars are well know for getting cataracts

Im just thinking that this works for a period of time but it soon goes back to yellow again, so i was thinking of a more permanant solution. But thanks for your post.

Edit: checked my reciepts can't have been the marine one I went for in the end

I've just bought some uv protector from Amazon, £7.99....was going to try next time I use the meguiars headlight restorer kit.

Hope it wasn't this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A3S1RGU/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1#productDetails

I buffed my lights to near perfection and hoped it would do the trick, but they've started to go again :( Going for an expensive gtechniq effort next.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

I've just bought some uv protector from Amazon, £7.99....was going to try next time I use the meguiars headlight restorer kit.

Would be interested to see the results!!

Sure, will post update. The meguiars stuff is great but doesn't last that long, hoping the uv stuff will solve the problem!

• Like 1

I bought a marine based UV sealant, thinking it would be both good at blocking intense UV and also resistant to the weather. Been disapointed, it's either

Hope it wasn't this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A3S1RGU/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1#productDetails

I buffed my lights to near perfection and hoped it would do the trick, but they've started to go again :( Going for an expensive gtechniq effort next.

Yeah it is, ok....my lights aren't that bad, hopefully it might work!?

I bought a marine based UV sealant, thinking it would be both good at blocking intense UV and also resistant to the weather. Been disapointed, it's either

Yeah it is, ok....my lights aren't that bad, hopefully it might work!?

I'd suggest doing at least a couple of coats, with a suitable curing time in between - good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well im going to look into the UV vinyl (has to be optically clear) option and ill get back to you, im in the wrapping trade so can get a good deal, ill get a sample, do my lights with it and post the results.

I'd be interested to see what you can come up with. In my opinion you need to focus on how long it'll last when applied, ease and cost of application and that'll determine the interest in any final product, I think.

Stu, I'm planning on trying Gyeon CanCoat on mine this time round. Hopefully by the time that dies off I'll have had my wheels done and cracked the C5 open for next time they need doing.

Well im going to look into the UV vinyl (has to be optically clear) option and ill get back to you, im in the wrapping trade so can get a good deal, ill get a sample, do my lights with it and post the results.

I'd be interested to see what you can come up with. In my opinion you need to focus on how long it'll last when applied, ease and cost of application and that'll determine the interest in any final product, I think.

Stu, I'm planning on trying Gyeon CanCoat on mine this time round. Hopefully by the time that dies off I'll have had my wheels done and cracked the C5 open for next time they need doing.

Well usually the material has a 5-7 year life and is easily replaceable but ill do some digging and post the results.

I was under the impression good old common garden car laquer is the uv protection in any paint process and its what protects the base coat (colour) from fading etc.

2k clear is UV resistant

Good idea zippy not sure about ease of application though.

I was under the impression good old common garden car laquer is the uv protection in any paint process and its what protects the base coat (colour) from fading etc.

2k clear is UV resistant

Good idea zippy not sure about ease of application though.

well i do know its conformable but gonna give it a try and judge how easy it would be for a novice to fit. Ive used it on wraps before as a protective film overlay for digitally printed car wraps.

In which case personally I think your way is easier than spraying.

Spraying 2k clear isn't novice standard, requires a lot of equipment and also has a lot of opportunity for issues.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your post, ill get more details and post here. Maybe ill add a video too.

A couple of years ago my lenses had gone milky and horrible so i used 2500g wet n dry and then coated the nice clean lenses with clear marine lacquer which has fantastic UV protection. All in i think i paid a little over a fiver and they still look as good as new.

How did you coat them? As in spray? Brush?

Ive sourced a conformable optically clear vinyl which has a life of about 7 years, with a UV protection. I cant sell it for a fiver but can do it for around £20 i recon plus postage.

When applied, you would not know it was there.