help. Loud noise coming from front wheels

dazza4975

Hi there I have had my 03 zed for around 6 months. there is 75'000 on the clock and has been running great up until two weeks ago

There has been a loud roaring noise coming from what feels like the front wheels. This sound has gradually got louder and more intense. Initially it started around 70mph. Now its happening at around 40mph and gets louder the faster I go. There was some play in the ns front wheel and on further inspection the lower suspension arm bushing had gone. I have replaced this yet the noise is still there. I have also today had the wheels rebalanced and aligned. The only other thing I can think of is the bearings or hub however there is no play in the wheel at all now. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Daz

In my experience the front bearing can be almost disintegrated and still have no discernible play. This has happened to me twice which seems more that coincidence.

You will need to find an open area and do some turns to load up the front wheels in turn and see if you can isolate it as a bearing.

I presume you are not hearing any noise turning the wheels by hand?

Just asking that in case a stone (or other debris) has got caught between the disc shield and the disc itself - a fairly common problem.

Agree with Colin. Normally you'll hear a bearing even turning by hand if it's thst knackered.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I recently had a front wheel bearing go, heres my symptoms and fix which maybe of some help. Im at best an amateur home mechanic so I don't give any guarantees but the info may be useful.

Symptoms: Car made a humming noise that increased with speed, it sounded like it came from the front left which turned out to be correct. Turning right increased the noise level.

I jacked up the left front and supported it with a jack stand. I tried the good old test of holding the top and bottom of the tyre and seeing if there was any play, none was present. I got a mechanic friend to try him self, he used a massive breaker bar underneath the tyre to apply more force but still no play. I removed the brake calliper and disc to get directly at the hub, again no play. However when i rotated the hub I could feel it felt rough. It felt like it was grinding slightly. It was smooth through some of the rotation and rough at other points. I wasn't able to feel this it with the wheel on. Again got a mechanic friend to take a look and he agreed, he's has seen bearings fail with zero play.

Fix: ordered a genuine OEM front hub from Torqen cost around £180. The fitting isn't too bad as the hub and bearing is a single sealed unit, no messing around with pullers etc. The only hard point was getting the hub out of the hub carrier as it was stuck fast. If your getting a garage to do it it shouldn't be a huge labour bill. Rotating the new bearing before fitting it it felt smooth and consistent.

Mine failed near the end of a track day and I have a video with the noise somewhere. If you want I can probably dig up the video and put on you tube.

Hope this is of some help.

Mack

Edited by Mack

Have you run over your neighbor's cat?

I had a missing wheel arch trim clip on an MR2 once, was all fine until I changed tyres and the extra tread made it wear... but I would've thought you'd put you hand around the tyre already to check if anythings rubbing.

yeah there was no rubbing. have had the time to properly inspect and it seems it is the driver side hub that needs replaced thanks again

Should have low mileage, fully working pre owned in stock.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)