Anyone running KW V3 coilovers?

James Junior

Hi ladies and gents,

I've been after a set of KW V3s for a while and have been tracking prices direct from Germany on eBay.

Due to the extremely favourable exchange rate at present, you can currently buy a new set from Germany for around £1,200 including delivery.

Can't imagine the exchange rate getting much better than this, so time to put my hand in my pocket I think.

Before I do I wanted to see if anyone has experience with these coilovers on UK roads? The yanks certainly seem to rave about them and they have a reputation for being ideal for use with a daily driver like mine.

My only concern is that the flexi trim on my front bumper already catches on car park ramps and speed bumps. Even with this removed and a subtle drop of say 20mm I imagine the car is prone to scraping.

does anyone have some experiences they would care to share?

Perfect for a daily,although a little firmer I believe the ride is smoother and the bumps are dealt with better. Don't get me wrong it is firmer than standard but all the wallowyness is gone and it inspires much more confidence.

Hasn't Adrian got some for sale still?

Yes but there nearly new price

James my freind runs them he was there on Sunday the black 370z with the scull wrap on the bonnet

Simon Mitchell

Find him on Facebook in the bhp meet page he'll be more than happy to chat to you he's a great guy

I do know he loves them

• Like 1

I also run these and they are great. More control, especially over sharp compressions, than standard shocks and not much firmer (if at all with my set up - done by Abbey Motorsport). Just be aware that even on the highest setting they drop the car by 20mm vs. standard (if I remember rightly - correct me if I'm wrong someone!). I find most speedbumps are ok if taken slowly but have had a few light scrapes on the underside when 2-up.

I just did some research and the hydraulic lift system appears to be very rare in the UK. All I could find was the odd set for Lamborghinis which were very expensive. Its a shame as it seems an ideal solution for me, as it would enable me to raise the ride height on the odd occasion I find myself contending with speed bumps or multi story car parks.

I had a look on Demon Tweeks' website out of curiosity as they are a big supplier in the UK and they have them listed, but on a 'POA' basis. I called and had a chat with a nice chap called Craig who checked direct with KW whilst I was on the line. KW replied that they don't make them for the 370Z.

Jeff - I wonder how Tom got hold of a set? Perhaps the guy at KW made a mistake, or perhaps Tom had another kit adapted to his Z?

I explained to Craig at Demon Tweeks that the exchange rate is making it very cheap to buy KW V3s direct from Europe and asked if he could sharpen his pencil on price. The Demon Tweeks list price with VAT is £1,487.50, but Craig reckoned he could reduce this to £1,317.33 delivered, which sounds like a good deal to me. However, he also said he would discuss with KW directly to see if they could offer any support on pricing and is going to call me back.

I would certainly prefer to buy a set from a UK seller for peace of mind if any issues came up later and Demon Tweeks have a great reputation. I will let you know what he comes back with.

It looks like the exchange rate is creating some interesting buying opportunities at present.

I just did some research and the hydraulic lift system appears to be very rare in the UK. All I could find was the odd set for Lamborghinis which were very expensive. Its a shame as it seems an ideal solution for me, as it would enable me to raise the ride height on the odd occasion I find myself contending with speed bumps or multi story car parks.

I had a look on Demon Tweeks' website out of curiosity as they are a big supplier in the UK and they have them listed, but on a 'POA' basis. I called and had a chat with a nice chap called Craig who checked direct with KW whilst I was on the line. KW replied that they don't make them for the 370Z.

Jeff - I wonder how Tom got hold of a set? Perhaps the guy at KW made a mistake, or perhaps Tom had another kit adapted to his Z?

I explained to Craig at Demon Tweeks that the exchange rate is making it very cheap to buy KW V3s direct from Europe and asked if he could sharpen his pencil on price. The Demon Tweeks list price with VAT is £1,487.50, but Craig reckoned he could reduce this to £1,317.33 delivered, which sounds like a good deal to me. However, he also said he would discuss with KW directly to see if they could offer any support on pricing and is going to call me back.

I would certainly prefer to buy a set from a UK seller for peace of mind if any issues came up later and Demon Tweeks have a great reputation. I will let you know what he comes back with.

It looks like the exchange rate is creating some interesting buying opportunities at present.

Tell them there's a possible few sales resting on there price ;)

HI James,

Jeff it right, I do have the V3 coilovers on my 370. I installed them about this time last year and have to say they are fantastic on the UK roads. I’ve done a number of trips up to the west coast of Scotland on holiday and with my local club. Ive also been to Edinburgh (for Scottish car show) and Glasgow a number of times (for UpRev tuning). I also use the Z for the daily commute (when the weather allows). I would highly recommend them, I honestly can’t fault The KW V3’s at all, well worth the extra cost over others.

I do also have the “KW universal kit, HLS2 system†fitted (it does cost a fair bit for the treat) but also worth it; especially living in Aberdeen where there seem to be more roads with speed bumps than those that don’t. I also have a ridiculously steep drive at my house that I have to use the system for as well.

The system has about 40-50mm of lift and takes about 5-6secs to reach full lift. I had some minor issues to start with (a solenoid valve wouldn’t shut properly on the hydraulic system), but after a strip down and clean up (with some instructions from Germany), the system has worked all year without issue.

I bought everything direct from Alan Hook @ KW Automotive UK (I can PM you his details if you want) very helpful indeed (stock code for the HLS2 system was: 19299299). I would try him for sure as my set were certainly cheaper than DT are quoting you for the V3’s (but then again that was last year’s prices).

Cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I have some further interesting developments...

Firstly thanks for the information Tommy. The HLS sounds like a brilliant piece of kit. I just looked at KW Automotive's website and they have KW V3s listed for £1,428 inc VAT. They don't appear to have the HLS listed for the 370Z at all though - it's just greyed out when you put in your car details. Maybe KW discontinued them as the 370Z sold in such small numbers in Europe? Might still be worth a chat with your man Alan, but I must admit if they're the same cost again as the coilovers I think I'm out as I've spent a fair bit on the car of late.

Meanwhile I just checked my voicemails and Craig from Demon Tweeks called me back earlier today to say he has been able to negotiate further support from KW and is able to offer me a set of KW V3s for £1,239.84. That is an amazing price from a UK seller!

I'll give him a call tomorrow and have another chat. Might anyone else be interested at that price?

Finally can anyone else recommend someone to fit a set of KW V3s who has experience of not just installing them, but fine tuning them for a 370Z? I know my local Indy could fit them no sweat, but really want some who knows how to set them up and what setting work well on these cars.

Nic - I wonder if it might be worth a discussion with your pals at Severn Valley Motorsport?

Any further input, interest or advice welcome.

If I get a set fitted I'll be sure to post some detailed feedback on here for the benefit of others considering going down this route.

Edited by James Junior

Hi Everyone,

I have some further interesting developments...

Firstly thanks for the information Tommy. The HLS sounds like a brilliant piece of kit. I just looked at KW Automotive's website and they have KW V3s listed for £1,428 inc VAT. They don't appear to have the HLS listed for the 370Z at all though - it's just greyed out when you put in your car details. Maybe KW discontinued them as the 370Z sold in such small numbers in Europe? Might still be worth a chat with your man Alan, but I must admit if they're the same cost again as the coilovers I think I'm out as I've spent a fair bit on the car of late.

Meanwhile I just checked my voicemails and Craig from Demon Tweeks called me back earlier today to say he has been able to negotiate further support from KW and is able to offer me a set of KW V3s for £1,239.84. That is an amazing price from a UK seller!

I'll give him a call tomorrow and have another chat. Might anyone else be interested at that price?

Finally can anyone else recommend someone to fit a set of KW V3s who has experience of not just installing them, but fine tuning them for a 370Z? I know my local Indy could fit them no sweat, but really want some who knows how to set them up and what setting work well on these cars.

Nic - I wonder if it might be worth a discussion with your pals at Severn Valley Motorsport?

Any further input, interest or advice welcome.

If I get a set fitted I'll be sure to post some detailed feedback on here for the benefit of others considering going down this route.

Yes mate severn valley will do it for you and have experience in seting cars up

Or my mate has been using c1r the evo guy I've met him a few times and he's a sound chap upfront honest guy

He's also an excellent chassis engineer for rally art

So knows how to set a car up

I will probably fit mine with rik and then take it to Chris or svm for geo and full corner weighting

Mark at abbey knows how to set these cars up well also just a shame were so far away

But I k n own he wouldn't mind sharing some geo settings with us :)